Anyone Ever Made a Front-Opening Iron Man Suit?

Screenshot_20180710-070832_Samsung Internet.jpg
Ok now that the hands are solved.
In and out stability is as follows.
Synchronized solenoids that will lock the joints in place should take care of this issue. Laying flat is not even an option, come on. Tony Stark wasn't laying down in a cave for Pete's sake lol.
Mobility is difficult, but not impossible.
I wish we were all in the same vicinity to hash this out. Very exciting thread going on here.
I have been working on the concept of mobility issues for some time.
This week I'm getting a few days to myself to source out aluminum and titanium stock for my boot mech.
Let's not give up on this thread folks...

I would like to agree with Dr.Cyanide that a bulky suit may be the only way to go with this one.
Perhaps a redesigned concept Mk is in order...

Since this thread is active again I will post this pic again. Watching Alex Labs on Youtube he built the under tech of the arm out of hardware store materials and used these in the elbow--not 100% sure what the name of the piece is and am still trying to figure that out and where to get them, but these would be perfect for elbows and knees.

Elbow joint.png

I think The14thDr is right that this would be easier with a Hall of Armors setup, but I think ideally you'd want to be able to do this trick on the go without the base. I imagine it'd make bathroom breaks at conventions easier if you could just leave it at the door (with a friend to watch it, of course!).

I gave it a bit of thought last night, and I think the best bet to give you a stable platform to work off of is to really unfold the feet/calves into a wide tripod-like base.
* The top of the shoe could lift up and unfold forward (inside facing down), increasing surface area in front (allows you to lean the suit forward a little while getting in and out). Rubber on the inside of the shoe would help give it a better grip on smooth floors.
* The sides of the shoe could similarly unfold sideways and down, keeping the surface up and increasing surface area.
* The lower leg would likely be divided into 3 pieces, center back, left, and right. The center back would be the main support that would connect the feet to the body, so it'll need to lock to an ankle piece/back of the shoe, as well as lock to the knee. The left and right sides might be able to fold down and out to the sides, giving a tripod shape and added stability.

Right now I'd focus on finding a way to link the feet to the lower leg. If you don't have that joint solid, you can't keep the suit up, but if it's too ridged you won't be able to walk.

So I did get a reply back from Alex and what he used for the elbow joint was ratcheting furniture/cabinet hinges. Going to test them out soon just need to print out my forearm pieces.

So I did get a reply back from Alex and what he used for the elbow joint was ratcheting furniture/cabinet hinges. Going to test them out soon just need to print out my forearm pieces.
Hmmm interesting, I'm going with a bearing/hinge system for mine. I finally got out of my artist block and did a brief render of my boot mech. I've moved my tools to one location, well most of them lol. Trying to figure out how to mold a sole for my boot.20180719_221412.jpg I am using this as my foundation. The brace incorporates the mechanics that I require, with a couple of tweaks of my own. I will have back and forth movement with lateral as well...

Last edited:
Oh that is nice! I'm in the process of turning the single stall garage I have into a hobby shop--but it needs a lot of TLC before I can set my tools up so in the mean time I will be doing some rapid prototypes with the printer first before moving forward. As far a sole goes what material were you planning on having at the bottom of your boots? I still am undecided on mine cause I want to be able to walk indoors without scratching floors up and also be able to go outside but not get the grooves caked with debris lol.

Oh that is nice! I'm in the process of turning the single stall garage I have into a hobby shop--but it needs a lot of TLC before I can set my tools up so in the mean time I will be doing some rapid prototypes with the printer first before moving forward. As far a sole goes what material were you planning on having at the bottom of your boots? I still am undecided on mine cause I want to be able to walk indoors without scratching floors up and also be able to go outside but not get the grooves caked with debris lol.
I want to go with a rubber compound. I think you can mix metal flakes for the illusion of a metal sole...

I found a couple of videos that may be useful for the mechanical aspects of this project:

https://youtu.be/7vCnnEJc6FQ

https://youtu.be/1UtcGV-z8ik
I've seen these some time ago.
I should mention that the video is cool and all but simply too fast. Can't see the mechanics all that good. Wish videos like this would be a documentary type setting. No background music, slower movement and commentary describing the mechanics in relation to the build...

Last edited:

I'm not sure I know what that kind of hinge is, could you link to one? That would help me track it down.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked like the elbow moved freely, wouldn't a ratcheting action prevent backwards motion until some trigger allowed it? Just trying to understand. Maybe that part was removed leaving it operating more freely.

I am interested in building something to help move limbs for stroke rehab

It looked like the elbow moved freely, wouldn't a ratcheting action prevent backwards motion until some trigger allowed it? Just trying to understand. Maybe that part was removed leaving it operating more freely.

I am interested in building something to help move limbs for stroke rehab

Everything that I have found was through a ton of research.
Mechatronics, animatronics, robotics. Check YouTube for exoskeletal armour's. Pinterest for mechanisms. It's out there. You just got to find it, but I warn you. Sourcing materials is a bloody nightmare. Most of the things I need I have to make...

I'm probably looking a variant of this mechanism: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi5V2QpdTGk&t=213s

See minute 3:20

For the actual movement, but that 180 bearing joint thing looked promising for the joint itself.

Patients are told to move their paralyzed limb with their other limb while visualizing that they are actually moving it independently. This is an effort to retrain the brain and help establish new pathways/connections.

My thought was that some type of mechanism may aide in that process.

I'm probably looking a variant of this mechanism: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi5V2QpdTGk&t=213s

See minute 3:20

For the actual movement, but that 180 bearing joint thing looked promising for the joint itself.

Patients are told to move their paralyzed limb with their other limb while visualizing that they are actually moving it independently. This is an effort to retrain the brain and help establish new pathways/connections.

My thought was that some type of mechanism may aide in that process.

Working on it...

Here is the link to the hinge, once I found out what it was called I used the wonderful tool of Google and it brought up some Amazon links so I ordered them (Originally thought it was some sort of sprag bearing then after a little more research thought it was a slider bearing). This link is to what I ordered and I just got them yesterday. As far as the "ratcheting mechanism" goes I too wondered the same thing but these do not function like the standard shop tool. I tested the motion and it basically locks at a point and then if you close the hinge it has no resistance if that makes sense. Basically where these are set are perfect--there is no way for your arm to over extend cause the stopping point is a little less than 180 degrees. I will try post some pictures soon, I am currently 3D printing my Mark 1.5 inner arm parts and will be bolting these to them to test motion. Good luck with the stroke rehab project, sounds awesome!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP7F53S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An idea that I think is pretty ingenious and would be a shame not to use - borrow this mechanic from RC Airplane landing gears:

In this video, the landing gear doors are opened by the spring trying to straighten itself. As the gear comes up, the compartment opens up. As the gear goes back in, the doors close around it. All of that is driven by the movement of the landing gear, no extra servos needed.

A similar design could be used for the arms and part of the legs (maybe fingers too). I'm envisioning a rectangular piece on the top of the arm (where a watch would rest) that acts as the "skeleton" of the suit, which is connected with hinges to two curved doors, one to go around each side of the arm. These curved doors would connect to each other with a simple spring loaded latch which could be released by a string pulling towards the center of the body (or, more likely, towards the skeleton frame, which then uses a simple pulley to redirect it towards the body).

With this, you would lock the "skeleton" in a ridged stance and pull the latch string. That would open the latches, but the suit wouldn't open until you start to walk out of it. The spring would gently and fluidly push the arm into an open position as you left it. Entering the suit, you release the tension on the latch string and press your arm in towards the "skeleton" frame. As you do so, the arms wrap around you, and when you're in all the way the latch springs lock the suit in place again.

How smooth the effect was would depend on how strong the spring is, how heavy the suit is, and having a method to lock the "skeleton" into a rigid position. The rigid position part was always going to need to happen if it was going to stand on it's own. The lighter the suit, the easier it will be to get a "skeleton" to hold it up. The spring will need to be stiff enough to push the armor plates apart, but gentle enough to bend without you putting too much force on the skeleton.

To apply the same technique to the fingers, you'd use some very small hinges/latches. Each finger's "skeleton" part would have to connect to the back of the wrist in a way that could hold it rigid. You could then have the palm of the hand rotate as one big piece on a hinge opposite of the thumb (near the pinky finger), so it hangs down when out of the suit. This palm plate could have an additional curved groove that you rest your hand into when getting back into the suit, allowing you to rotate the palm back into position. This would give you a hand piece that you could get into and out of without having to pull at/having dangling gloves. I'm not so sure on this portion, because it'd be a lot of very, very tiny moving parts, but if you could somehow manufacture them then in theory it should work. Maybe some of the Ant Man cosplayers could give us a hand ;)

------

I'm still trying to think out how you'd make the frame rigid. So far all I've got is that you'd probably want a system of pins that extends over the joints to prevent them moving. To line up those pins, you'd basically want a funnel to guide them to where they should be. That's all super early brainstorming, mostly I just got excited about the idea above!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back