Retro Ray Gun Budget Build - Finished!

tmax

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So been wanting to do a retro blaster for a while, something simple like this (obviously not my pic)...

IetUfwP.jpg

Then recently came across this little beauty at the second-hand goods store for a few dollars...

V0g1QLb.jpg

7aFuRnI.jpg

We'll loose the rotating barrel, but the main body of the gun is almost perfect

fp2k5Dk.jpg

Need a new front to the blaster so pulled this old lamp apart

JzfAkDU.jpg

BkLtbiH.jpg

Found some other used toys for lights and sounds

uhfDjWn.jpg

eGQzzkY.jpg

atPR0E6.jpg

Also this loom has a motor with an off-ballance weight to it to make the gun vibrate when firing.

For the nose, I pulled a yo-yo apart and added some tubing and a couple washers...

LHkngIC.jpg

W1xq2Gj.jpg

KbLNdHr.jpg

jMPv6ol.jpg

RuD76QD.jpg

This is a fun build. More to come.

Last edited:
Re: Retro Ray Gun Budget Build - WIP

Thanks guys, I'm really enjoying this build!

The back section of the gun was a "slide" to load the gun (it originally fired darts). So it now slides right off, which is perfect for getting access to a battery compartment. First, add the battery compartment. I don't have a dremel here, so going old school...

u633K67.jpg

rXQPoms.jpg

KwqeHph.jpg

Added a magnet to the back of the slide, so it locks in when closed...

Cd4BIOJ.jpg

Electronics installed...

CZJ9em2.jpg

Speaker and LED out the front...

hzWjB85.jpg

Back in NZ earlier this year I found some empty gas canisters on the side of the road while out walking. As soon as I found them I new I wanted to use them in a blaster as District 9 style canisters. They'll be perfect for adding a fresh touch to this retro blaster...

daeGko2.jpg

MZzeDvf.jpg

Time to paint. I love this metallic gun-metal grey, so it will be the bulk of the blaster...

sLb2xVw.jpg

Also a fan of this metallic blue, so that will be the second colour...

sRzKP82.jpg

Wasn't happy with the pointy bulb, so went on a hunt and found a way better, retro style bulb.

NdUufJ9.jpg

VrN48x6.jpg

The rear slide will have a fin on top. Made a template out of cardboard, then cut from plywood...

uRFvGZ2.jpg

bJ1kFr5.jpg

EEVWfiQ.jpg

I also really like the look of rivets. Was going to cheat these with small domes, but then decided to use actual rivets...

KjA7KWH.jpg

QzQ5qc6.jpg

Ready for paint...

EUvi3A6.jpg

Last edited:

LOVE IT! And you're cutting everything by hand. This is an old school build for sure. :)

Retro Ray Gun Budget Build - WIP

Adding to the fun factor of this build is hunting for parts. During the hunt for grip details yesterday, I found these beauties at the donation store. All 4 for about $15. Stoked!

PiXNQwK.jpg

On with the show... undercoat down.

Jut356s.jpg

Top coat, then clear coat...

saecTS0.jpg

Onto the fin...

cn6svOS.jpg

c7ozFc7.jpg

Nose assembly...

GvWvouc.jpg

MLpnsKQ.jpg

The gas canisters fit tight but added some hot glue just for peace of mind...

eGq5G6P.jpg

Looking good. Greg Broadmore would be proud! Ha ha.

KWV8JhB.jpg

8Aq1Aae.jpg

v2soiYP.jpg

Wanted some detail on the grip section. Went on the hunt and found numerous options...

zik1Dnc.jpg

...but in the end settled for some simple retro buttons...

VO7Yb4k.jpg

5FDFa9i.jpg

Battery compartment turned out good...

YUW8i4S.jpg

Parts ready for assembly...

nfkOxJ6.jpg

I wanted the weight of the gun to be even, as most of the weight is in the nose. I forgot to add weight to the body of the gun before I glued it closed, which sucks as there was loads of room. My saving grace is that I could still add weight to the removable rear section. It's now full of nuts and bolts and balances the weight of the gun out nicely.

Next up, the big reveal...

Last edited:

Been thinking about making something like that myself from found parts and you've inspired me to try to make some progress. That said, my next project is the assault rifle from D9 that I'm getting from another RPF dude. Oh, actually that's you ! :) But seriously, your ray gun is great Tmax - nice colour choice.

Been thinking about making something like that myself from found parts and you've inspired me to try to make some progress. That said, my next project is the assault rifle from D9 that I'm getting from another RPF dude. Oh, actually that's you ! :) But seriously, your ray gun is great Tmax - nice colour choice.

Ha ha, thanks mate! This was a great little project to squeeze in between bigger projects. Nice to create something of my own for a change too.

Very nicely done! You've got a great eye for design.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back