NEW inexpensive Indiana Jones GOLDEN IDOL (not licensed) $79

Rough guess on how much sand was needed? Uh, jeez I think Indy got sort of challenged on that question too. LOL
I'm seeing reclaimed lead shot out there being sold, that sounds like an option.

Lead fishing sinkers are really cheap in bulk. Buy a bulk bag, melt them down and pour it into the hole. Or if there is risk of the hot lead affecting the inside resin, then just pour the raw sinkers in and seal the bottom off.

Expanding foam? Resin? Money you're hiding from the wife?

When I get mine, I'll be looking to stick some lead weights in there, even if just to counterbalance the big head so it doesn't topple over.

Mine came in today. Finish is a bit on the low quality side on this one. Rough in places like the brow and around the eyes, gold is inconsistent with a lot of the base silver plating showing, especially the mouth and ear areas. If you look at it profile the face is very yellow and the rear of the head more silver or light gold. For $80 its fine but I figured id show it so people can see what to expect. For my base, I bought an Aztec calender in Mexico on a vacation back in the 80's and think it will do nicely for a base. Rather then mess this one up though I actually added another 1/4" of thickness to it with clay and molded it. Once I get some TC-1630 urethane ill cast one. I plan on making a template for the bottom of the idol and machine or dremel an area in the center so the idol sits in it. A good idea Funky mentions in his video. If anyone wants one id be willing to cast more. The sideshow style is cool too but I want something different and a bit more low profile.

7rIp2DW.jpg

breq3VC.jpg

cqIwcaZ.jpg

unLAAFS.jpg

5ljwL4o.jpg

7zrk8UC.jpg

I got one and the plating was thin around the mouth area. When I talked to Toynk about it, they said that they all have some plating issues - that's just how they're made. They pointed out that the pictures on the website show light plating around the mouth. So, it's a little got a inconsistent plating. The overall finish is great and with proper lighting, the plating issues aren't a problem.

David

Got mine today as well. Not bad at all considering the price. Less than $100 for a plated idol is a deal I'd take all day long. Its a fine placeholder until something better comes along. For those commenting about the plating issues, thats not uncommon at all. There have even been some super high end idols with similar issues. Seems to be a artifact of the plating process.

Fertility_Idol.jpg

I returned (for an exchange) mine today because it was missing the plating on the tip of the nose. I wish I would have seen these previous posts sooner or i would have kept it because it looked fantastic compared to some of the pics posted here. Fingers crossed my new one is in good condition.

I got a pretty decent one. It's now sitting on a shelf an arms length away from my computer. If I look inside the mouth (after reading the posts) I can see some silver, but the mouth is in shadow where it sits right now, so the inside of the mouth can't really even be noticed unless I tip it up so light shines in the mouth.

I'll have mine today. Hopefully it looks good. What kind of weathering should n
Be done and is it accurate to paint the eyes?

Guys, of course these all don't have perfect plating. Because of who we are we tend to be much more critical than most. Hell, it's 79.00 to your doorstep! If you expect a perfectly plated piece for 79.00, just don't bother ordering one, because if you do, you will look for something wrong, and if you look hard enough you'll find something.
i ordered five. I had my wife look at each one at arms length and she says all five are pristine. I'm willing to bet anyone that sees yours in your collection would think the same thing.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones because mine is perfect and for 80.00 bucks even if it had some small issues you cant beat it

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back