"Great" films that wear out...

Krull

Sr Member
I mentioned this in the Solo thread and I wonder if it's just weird'ol me being....well weird'ol me :lol

Basically here's how it goes: we'll take SW a new hope as an example-when I got a VCR back in the mid 80's (around '87) I watched ANH a lot,a whole LOT and even back then I kinda liked it and yet could see that for all the hoopla it wasn't that wonderful of a film,good yes but not amazing.

The way it goes and it's been this way since my binge watching the first ever SW film that when I really don't like a film and I watch it too much I get to the point that I'll notice the thing feels shorter and shorter even if it's a two plus hour film.

With SW it's tattooine,the death star,attack on the death star,the end in that order and what is a two hour movie feels like an hour and a half or less...still that way today if I watch it (and it's been five years about since I watched it last)

It's worse for films I look at now and cringe like back to the future or raising Arizona if I sit and watch them it feels like the worst ten minutes of my life.

Yet some dumb films I really liked,love even,don't suffer from this for example a few of the 60's Toho rubber monster movies like Godzilla Vs the Astro monster are still slow and last...does this make sense?

Anybody else? You have films that seem way shorter then when you watched them the first time? Films you liked? Or ones that you didn't? Is it just me?

Well, in the case of ANH, of course you've OD'ed on it. Cuz you never even loved it to begin with. The question is, why the hell did you watch it over and over and over again if you only, "kinda liked it", even back when you were first introduced to the film?

If I only kinda like a film, it's one viewing, possibly two or three, and that's it.

The Wook

Well, in the case of ANH, of course you've OD'ed on it. Cuz you never even loved it to begin with. The question is, why the hell did you watch it over and over and over again if you only, "kinda liked it", even back when you were first introduced to the film?

If I only kinda like a film, it's one viewing, possibly two or three, and that's it.

The Wook

I love Star Wars. I love Star Wars. But my love started not with the movies. But with collectible stickers (Panini album, anyone?!) and the action figures. And then the audio play, not to be confused with the radio play which we did not have over here in Germany. I had and still have somewhere an old LP (you know kids, those pizzasize, thin black discs) and that was how I got to love star wars. When I first saw it on TV at a friends house I was utterly disappointed because it was nowhere near as epic as I had thought. Still love it. And I think that I saw ESB before I even saw star wars.

But I must admit that when I first showed our teenage fangirl Superman and Superman 2 I was a bit melancholic because although still a good movie it had aged.

Ah well, it´s the course and curse of all life, I guess.

Lot of stuff I watched as a teen that now mean nothing to me,somethings I didn't like I now do like Blade Runner I thought that movie awful as a teen :lol

SW is odd I don't actually hate it but I also won't get all wound up about it and will admit watching it now it just seems shorter and less interesting but still decent,even films I enjoy like Ghostbusters I watched so much that now I sit and watch it and find myself going "hey,wasn't this longer?"

I think it's all cyclical, for awhile there I couldn't stand Star Wars. Now I found enjoyment in watching it and collecting SW props again.

I never got into Caddyshack.

I would guess that bingewatching movies over and over could have that effect.

One thing that I can say is that because I've seen the original trilogy so many times, the rare times I do sit down to watch it sometimes I have a hard time because I know so much about the making of the movie that I have a difficult time getting lost in the story. While having all of that knowledge is great for replication of pieces from the movie, it also takes something out of the magic of the story for me, though that may change with time and revisiting the movies if I ever have a family of my own.

I never got into Caddyshack.

I would guess that bingewatching movies over and over could have that effect.

One thing that I can say is that because I've seen the original trilogy so many times, the rare times I do sit down to watch it sometimes I have a hard time because I know so much about the making of the movie that I have a difficult time getting lost in the story. While having all of that knowledge is great for replication of pieces from the movie, it also takes something out of the magic of the story for me, though that may change with time and revisiting the movies if I ever have a family of my own.

Being able to acquire or make movie props. It just connects me to the movie even more. When Luke swings the graflex, I know the weight and feel. When Star-Lord puts on the helmet, I know what it's like to look through the lenses.

I'm actually immediately reminded of this scene from ST: First Contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Being able to acquire or make movie props. It just connects me to the movie even more. When Luke swings the graflex,

Well, you know the weight and feel of it in Mark Hamill's hand. But he's just the actor. If anything, that ought to take you out of the fantasy, no?

Mad Max Fury Road, although TBH it only took one viewing.

Point A to B to A.

I loved this line in the credits..

“Any plot similarity to the flightpath of an actual boomerang, living or dead, is purely coincidental.”

Caddyshack is one of the funniest movies ever made IMHO.

It is. And it came during the greatest period of comedies in Hollywood history: 1978-1985.

That 8-year period gave us:

Animal House (1978)
Up In Smoke (1978)
The Jerk (1979)
Airplane (1980)
The Blues Brothers (1980)
Caddyshack (1980)
Stripes (1981)
Arthur (1981)
Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
48 Hours (1982)
Trading Places (1983)
Vacation (1983)
A Christmas Story (1983)
Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Sixteen Candles (1984)
Ghostbusters (1984)
This Is Spinal Tap (1984)
Pee Wees Big Adventure (1985)
Back To The Future (1985)
Fletch (1985)

Maybe I'm biased because I was a teen during those 8 years. But I don't think so. And I challenge you to show me a better 8-year stretch of hilarious comedy.

The Wook

Mad Max Fury Road, although TBH it only took one viewing.

Point A to B to A.

I loved this line in the credits..

“Any plot similarity to the flightpath of an actual boomerang, living or dead, is purely coincidental.”

Never understood the Mad Max franchise at all since to me the first was the best even if it was cheap and then.....it went stupid,actually a lot like Star Wars the films got progressively worse and "made up as they went along" but in Miller's case he went some weird end of the world S&M party path :facepalm

Max would've been way better if they kept with the MFP route for all the films,just show them trying to hold society together after the bombs fell.

It is. And it came during the greatest period of comedies in Hollywood history: 1978-1985.

Animal House (1978)
Up In Smoke (1978)
The Jerk (1979)
Airplane (1980)
Caddyshack (1980)
Stripes (1981)
Arthur (1981)
48 Hours (1982)
Trading Places (1983)
Vacation (1983)
A Christmas Story (1983)
Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Sixteen Candles (1984)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Fletch (1985)

Maybe I'm biased because I was a teen during those 8 years. But I don't think so. And I challenge you to show me a better 8-year stretch of hilarious comedy.

The Wook

Amen, brother. That is a perfect list and it's clear there will never be a period like that for comedies again. Hell, I'm trying to think of the last genuinely funny movie I saw. Oh yeah, it was Thor Ragnarok which technically isn't supposed to even be a comedy, but was without a doubt funnier than anything Hollywood put out last year.

Animal House (1978)
Up In Smoke (1978)
The Jerk (1979)
Airplane (1980)
Caddyshack (1980)
Stripes (1981)
Arthur (1981)
48 Hours (1982)
Trading Places (1983)
Vacation (1983)
A Christmas Story (1983)
Beverly Hills Cop (1984)
Sixteen Candles (1984)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Fletch (1985)

The Wook

I would even add to that list, some comedies that fell between 1986 and 1990. The entire 80's had some great films.

Damn it that list .

Now I got to attempt watching sixteen candles again .

Its one of those cursed movies every time I try to watch something comes up .

I personally loved Fury Road. As simple as it was, it was super entertaining. One of the few series that had a 20 year gap between sequels that didn't suck royally.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back