Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2018, 12:22 AM - Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #1

I've always loved the football-shaped ray gun from TOS. Although it's called an "Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun" in The Making of Star Trek and the Star Fleet Technical Manual, it's been featured in several episodes typically as a repair tool or scanner (The Squire of Gothos, Galileo 7, The Doomsday Machine, etc). I love the throwback, Buck Rogers vibe it has, so I've decided to start working on one.

I drew it up in SolidWorks as 4 parts:

• the main body (the football)
    • a top the screws into place (allowing for fitting/accessing the electronics)
    • the emitter base, which screws into the base above
    • the clear emitter

I went ahead and printed up a prototype on my FDM printer just to get an idea of how it'll look. I took measurements from The Making of Star Trek (the measurements in the Tech Manual are inaccurate). It looks a little cartoony and toyish because of the rough texture and red/blue colors I printed it in, so you have to get past that. Also, the emitter nozzle failed to print the final segment of the tip, but that's fine as this is just a prototype. Imagine this silverish-grey, with a shiny silver emitter base and clear (and complete) emitter nozzle, with amazingly clean, smooth details. The reliefs on the side of the football will be red, as in the original prop. That's what the final product will look like when it's produced on a high-quality resin SLA printer. I will outfit this with a button to light up the tip, just like the original prop. I expect the resin one to be done in about a week and will post pics of it then

In the mean time, check out the pics of the original prop along with the pics of the FDM prototype and let me know what you think!

tJ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun9.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	808386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun6.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	808388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun7.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	808387

Name:	raygun3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	808390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	808389Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	808391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	808392
    Last edited by Think Jedi; Apr 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM.
  2. Ooooh Thatís a Bingo RPF Premium Member Aldo The Apache's Avatar
    From
    The Golden State
    Apr 9, 2018, 12:34 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #2

This looks great, hope you continue to work on it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. Keepin' it real since '00 RPF Premium Member Funky's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2018, 10:14 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #3

Hey...I don't have one of those...
  4. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    Apr 9, 2018, 11:28 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #4

Keep your eyes peeled. I can remedy that.

tJ

Funky said: View Post
    Hey...I don't have one of those...
    - - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I will see this project out. Watch this space for updates.

tJ

Aldo The Apache said: View Post
    This looks great, hope you continue to work on it!

5. Ooooh Thatís a Bingo RPF Premium Member Aldo The Apache's Avatar
    From
    The Golden State
    Apr 9, 2018, 11:33 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #5

Cool Iíll keep a look out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. RPF Premium Member
    From
    Launch Bay Alpha
    Apr 9, 2018, 12:10 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #6

Always loved that prop
    From
    DC Metro Area
    Apr 9, 2018, 4:01 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #7

Also referred to as a laser beacon in Squire of Gothos. Great prop!!
  8. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    Apr 10, 2018, 8:26 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #8

asalaw said: View Post
    Also referred to as a laser beacon in Squire of Gothos. Great prop!!
    Thanks all! I’m waiting for a couple of other projects to be printed and then I’ll make this on the SLA printer. Hoping within a week.

tJ
  9. Ooooh Thatís a Bingo RPF Premium Member Aldo The Apache's Avatar
    From
    The Golden State
    Apr 10, 2018, 11:24 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #9

Great, really excited for this.

Apr 11, 2018, 9:11 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #10

It definitely looks like it should have had some kind of handle grip.
  11. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    May 2, 2018, 1:34 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #11

Just an update: I've had some other projects stacked up on the SLA printer, but I should be getting this one done by this weekend. Watch this thread for pics!

tJ
  12. Ooooh Thatís a Bingo RPF Premium Member Aldo The Apache's Avatar
    From
    The Golden State
    May 2, 2018, 9:23 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #12

Cool, Iíll keep a lookout.

13. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  May 21, 2018, 12:31 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #13

All parts produced and painted. Waiting for paint to dry. I just did some lights for the tip as well. Will be posting pics and vid of the completed prop within the next 2 days.

tJ
  14. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    4 Weeks Ago  May 23, 2018, 10:47 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #14

Pics! I'm fitting electronics in it. Will post videos in about a week, when I get electronics installed.

tJ

Name:	raygun11.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	819568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun10.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	819569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raygun12.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	819567
    Last edited by Think Jedi; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:46 PM.
    3 Weeks Ago  May 29, 2018, 6:29 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #15

That is friggin' cool! Always liked that one.

A few years ago, I picked up some Easter egg candy holder things at Walgreens, and also some giant plastic Christmas lights at Menards that had a pretty good shape. I was gonna cut them up, glue, putty, sand.... They're still waiting for that.
  16. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    3 Weeks Ago  May 30, 2018, 9:50 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #16

Here it is with lights!

tJ

17. Ooooh Thatís a Bingo RPF Premium Member Aldo The Apache's Avatar
    From
    The Golden State
    3 Weeks Ago  May 30, 2018, 10:29 PM - Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #17

Awesome.

18. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jun 13, 2018, 10:30 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #18

So I have made some tweaks and have decided that doing the main body in resin is way too expensive to produce. It takes half a container of resin. So I've done a body on an FDM printer with really good results. Cleanup is going well. I will post pics soon.

tJ
  19. Ooooh Thatís a Bingo RPF Premium Member Aldo The Apache's Avatar
    From
    The Golden State
    1 Week Ago  Jun 13, 2018, 10:49 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #19

Cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. Keepin' it real since '00 RPF Premium Member Funky's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jun 13, 2018, 11:30 AM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #20

Have you thought about rotocasting them. It's small enough to do it by hand and it will only take about a fourth of what it would cost in resin as it'll be hollow.
  21. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    1 Week Ago  Jun 13, 2018, 2:25 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #21

I have a pocket built into the inside of the body to accommodate the switch, so I don't think rotocasting is the best option. Plus I don't have a rotational caster. I know, I could make one but...

Oh, I see you suggest that I do it by hand. Yes, that could be done, but again, because of the relief on the inside of the body, that may not work.

tJ
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    2 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2018, 12:07 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #22

I can see a problem for casting in one piece, but it's doable if it's in two halves. Instead of roto or slush casting, do each half in male/female molds.
  23. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    2 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2018, 2:03 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #23

My point in doing this in CAD is to get out of the old-skool (and messy) business of mold making/casting. Several of the projects I'm working on are perfect for 3D printing in resin on an SLA printer. This is the only one that isn't practical to do in resin due to the cost. I am looking into ABS for this. Rugged, looks decent, and will hold up. My second prototype is in PLA but from the initial sanding efforts, I can see that this will look good. I've got a couple of balls up in the air right now (troubleshooting the SLA printer, producing 2-3 other projects which I haven't posted about yet, etc). Will update you all soon.

tJ
  24. RPF Premium Member Think Jedi's Avatar
    2 Days Ago  Jun 19, 2018, 2:42 PM - Re: Star Trek TOS Offensive/Defensive Ray Gun - Think Jedi's next work in progress #24

Here are pics of the body and cap produced in PLA. The nozzle is still produced in resin. No sanding on the body yet....this is how it came off the printer bed. I'll post pics of sanded and finished soon.

tJ

Name:	ray3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	825568Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ray2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	825569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ray1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	152.8 KB 
ID:	825570