Solo:ASWS DL-44 Discussion

Well personally I believe I’m going to be just a little disappointed. This “new” SOLO blaster certainly looks to be the old inaccurate TFA blaster with these 3 basic upgrades..

• new scope & scope dial
• added set screw on the flash hider
• mystery knob is subtly different

Otherwise its the exact same blaster with the same inaccurate mount, flash hider/bull barrel & heat sink grille.

I had such optimism for this to be done correctly after noticing the new scope in the trailers. Then the reveal of the set screw. Maybe just maybe they would get it right and pay respect to the OG Hero from ‘77. But sadly I don’t think so any longer..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/835b955a4fdee2487b0310028ebb3eb3.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/8dc346a95b76a82d956bfcd5b3988d1b.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/9d8eb551f2c0250b6af9948226161d19.jpg

I’m sure most here already know this info but for those that don’t..

It would be one thing if TFA was an original design but lucasfilm just copied MR first inaccurate attempt at the HERO blaster themselves. It’s so lazy on so many levels it’s kind of upsetting..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/f6f2cd57443909ca884cf2c953639002.jpg

It was so inaccurate that MR themselves tired again with a more accurate version called “elite” I believe. Still missing some details but much closer..https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180425/79caa77a610823ccdfac451ec4a06d9a.jpg

Now that original misstep on MR part is.. “cannon” [emoji849]

The setscrew was on the ANH DL-44 as well.
20180427_215226.jpg
The DL-44 on the left is a screenused prop from ANH, the DL-44 on the right is a 3D printed replica.

You don’t think Becket will use the sniper blaster and then later take off the stock, extended barrel, and extended front scope, and toss the remaining gun to Han as the ‘how Han got his DL-44’ moment?

Seems to me that the new flash hider and scope match exactly. The big brass knurled nut on the scope and the elongated bell match the AW version. The flash hider defiantly is not the the TFA version. It has fewer vent holes. We haven't gotten a very good look at the scope mount. but it seems to have the larger opening like the AW design.

As nice as the AW airsoft is (a very nice inexpensive replica but just not screen accurate in its details) it is most definitely NOT the Blaster that will be seen in SOLO.

Hopefully this will help show the similarities between the TFA and this new SOLO Blaster. Also show how this SOLO blaster is not the AW version.

First let’s compare TFA Blaster with this new SOLO Blaster to see the similarities included the same 6 vent holes on the flash..

TFA..
b4ed8886e352e3e735d46d2ca36aff8e.jpg
9a50c9c896db770448aee481c46c2c40.jpg
cb55346e37adf4839c5c45bc26292f18.jpg

SOLO..
33f2b9338d9d427fba85e5d823381b3a.jpg
858bb4a15485c243826acc5ec4b0085c.jpg
7b2577be9a20c3848d9ef18bd28f9094.jpg
0c26d76144a586bd28f48556332ac8df.jpg

Now let’s show why this AW airsoft is NOT the SOLO Blaster (as similar as it might look)..
0399bf3637800a158ba5327eca9433b0.jpg
73d6c0f8e1ae3485ca12a97c6112a2c5.jpg

And the BIG obvious tell is the bull barrel on the AW airsoft. It’s not even close. Doesn’t have a flat bottom, has awkward groves on the end, no double screws and it’s not flush at all with the Mauser itself..
847fae80ce4943e93bae8f5954aaffa0.jpg
44a179fab88c42940054a6c00c664a6f.jpg

Again this new SOLO Blaster so you can clearly see the differences in the details and now it lines up..
5e124a0ec23d3d2269764ab55010b64c.jpg
68fd46a9c974ad0c6664a62fd919c352.jpg

I’m not bashing the AW Blaster so please don’t take it that way. It’s a great budget Blaster for sure. But the goal for this thread is to build/design a fully film accurate DL-44. Not something close to or similar.

Last edited:
You don’t think Becket will use the sniper blaster and then later take off the stock, extended barrel, and extended front scope, and toss the remaining gun to Han as the ‘how Han got his DL-44’ moment?

If they did that it would restore some of my faith in the venture. That was one of the few things that stood out when I read the book back in the 70's. Han's blaster was a sawed-off blaster rifle and the Falcon has stolen Star Destroyer shields... which was boss. :)

chubsANDdoggers you're totally right. Thank you for clearing that up. It's why I always come back to these reference threads, people MUCH more knowledgeable than I am.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they did that it would restore some of my faith in the venture. That was one of the few things that stood out when I read the book back in the 70's. Han's blaster was a sawed-off blaster rifle and the Falcon has stolen Star Destroyer shields... which was boss. :)

I too remember the folklore of stolen imperial shields

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will probably start getting a prototype together within the next couple of months, unless someone else is doing it and I missed it.
You guys seem to have noticed all the details also, as far as the grill shape goes a correct replica can not be made without the original
The ANH version was 3 plastic cylinders from a model kit cut and glued together, so we can only get something that looks close.

I will probably start getting a prototype together within the next couple of months, unless someone else is doing it and I missed it.
You guys seem to have noticed all the details also, as far as the grill shape goes a correct replica can not be made without the original
The ANH version was 3 plastic cylinders from a model kit cut and glued together, so we can only get something that looks close.

I’ll probably do a kit as well but it won’t be metal but I do think my grille is already pretty much on point [emoji106]

I'm not sure about the bull barrel, whether they replaced it or not. But the SOLO flash hider and scope are AW custom. When I said that the TFA flash hider had more vent holes, I wasn't referring to the number of holes in each row. I was referring to the number of rows.

The TFA flash hider has 10 rows of vent holes. The SOLO flash hider has 8 (like the ANH flash hider and the AW custom). The SOLO flash hider has the same size and shape scallops on the back side as the AW custom. They are quite distinct and don't match the ANH or TFA blaster. The scallops on the TFA flash hider are much shorter and thinner. The wall thickness of the flash hider is the same as the AW custom design--quite thicker than any other flash hider out there including ANH and TFA.

The scope is AW custom as well. From the pics we have seen, it's far longer than a real Hensoldt or any other replica and the brass knob distinctively large and pronounced. Also, you can see the engraving on the top of it, something that the TFA scope did not have.

As to the scope mount, we don't have any good references. This image is comically useless
858bb4a15485c243826acc5ec4b0085c.jpg

Also, the SOLO blaster base gun is the WE712, the same one sold with the AW custom kit. You can tell by the recess in the bolt (where the hammer strikes it) It can be seen in some of the photos in this thread and is a very distinct tell found on that m712 replica.

Last edited:
Hello,

it looks indeed like an Airsoft (see the mag bottom with the gas valve) but not the AW Custom (I own), the hole Trigger area is different. IMO it could be the Marushin M712.

cheers,

Dirk

Hello,

it looks indeed like an Airsoft (see the mag bottom with the gas valve) but not the AW Custom (I own), the hole Trigger area is different. IMO it could be the Marushin M712.

cheers,

Dirk

Well they definitely added a new side plate like they did for TFA in order to mimic the appearance of a c96. So this might be what you're seeing.

The Maushin and WE-tech blasters looks really close overall. The receiver section is almost a 1:1 copy

>Well they definitely added a new side plate like they did for TFA in order to mimic the appearance of a c96. So this might be what you're seeing.

Sure they did.

>The Maushin and WE-tech blasters looks really close overall. The receiver section is almost a 1:1 copy

I think there are differences.

dl44.jpg

cheers,

Dirk

Last edited:
>Well they definitely added a new side plate like they did for TFA in order to mimic the appearance of a c96. So this might be what you're seeing.

Sure they did.

>The Maushin and WE-tech blasters looks really close overall. The receiver section is almost a 1:1 copy

I think there are differences.

View attachment 813978

cheers,

Dirk

Seems to me that once you adde a side plate to a WE, You probably need to blend it with a a rounded look so it would actually end up looking like it does on the prop.

I'm not sure why people are disappointed if it is true that the build is based off the WE blaster variant. It's not like they used it out of the box. They put work into it, probably as much or more work that they did with the original A New Hope prop.

And if this is true, we as members should be looking at this as a gift. We get a relatively cheap head start on building a screen accurate prop replica. At least we don't have to deal with trying to find or locate antique firearms or out of production 30 year old replicas to do so, or even worse, and overpriced collectible MR Elite.

I also think this is a double standard. If the prop department would have bought parts or a build from a member here, we wouldn't be upset, we would be celebrating. But because they went with pieces from elsewhere, it's a bed thing.

And if you are going to argue inaccuracies, just don't. Even in the actual OT trilogy, they can't even keep the blaster consistence from movie to movie not from scene to scene with in the movies. And I tend to have to bring this up often too... Hardly anyone cares anyhow. Out of the millions of people who see these movies even the ones who consider themselves fans, I'd venture a small percentage notice these things. And out of them, only a very few of them actually care.

If that’s accurate great catch Omnius [emoji106]
@MaraJadesFather all great points. I would say from my experience though that people do care very much about these detail and the differences. Most just don’t know and are shocked to learn. But once educated they usually care a great deal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back