Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

Has anyone else gotten this new jacket?

I’ve gotten mine!
I liked the overall quality of this jacket a lot. This is super well made. Even though the paisley pattern is inaccurate very very unfortunately, the fabric is still so nice and smooth.

Gray denim is indeed a bit darker...compared to a vintage fabric. Maybe the over-dye thing flattened the tone (not really hazy look anymore) but at the same time, this over-dye shouldn’t be as strong as the original indigo dye, so it might be fading out by wearing/washing.

The blue denim looked like 98% matches to vintage guess indigo fabric when I put a piece next to this jacket. Even the woven pattern (and weight of thread) matches. Personally, I had no complain about it.

Fixes on curves and collar they made are nice. I appreciate the updates a lot.

I might be too picky, but I felt the height of flaps are bit too short. (Just 2mm to 4mm though) And button placement is obviously incorrect. That’s another mystery on Marty’s screen used jacket. But buttons are super easy fix. (I’ve already took all the snaps out for replacement)

The sizing is just perfect for me. I am 5'5" tall slim shape and got size M. It is just perfect look/shapes compared to Marty. I know body length seems a bit too short in 2018, but that is how 80’s fashion looked like. Arm is super super long and it forces me to roll-up, but looking at the distance between Marty’s Casio and his cuffs, this is totally right length.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve gotten mine!
I liked the overall quality of this jacket a lot. This is super well made. Even though the paisley pattern is inaccurate very very unfortunately, the fabric is still so nice and smooth.

Gray denim is indeed a bit darker...compared to a vintage fabric. Maybe the over-dye thing flattened the tone (not really hazy look anymore) but at the same time, this over-dye shouldn’t be as strong as the original indigo dye, so it might be fading out by wearing/washing.

The blue denim looked like 98% matches to vintage guess indigo fabric when I put a piece next to this jacket. Even the woven pattern (and weight of thread) matches. Personally, I had no complain about it.

Fixes on curves and collar they made are nice. I appreciate the updates a lot.

I might be too picky, but I felt the height of flaps are bit too short. (Just 2mm to 4mm though) And button placement is obviously incorrect. That’s another mystery on Marty’s screen used jacket. But buttons are super easy fix. (I’ve already took all the snaps out for replacement)

The sizing is just perfect for me. I am 5'5" tall slim shape and got size M. It is just perfect look/shapes compared to Marty. I know body length seems a bit too short in 2018, but that is how 80’s fashion looked like. Arm is super super long and it forces me to roll-up, but looking at the distance between Marty’s Casio and his cuffs, this is totally right length.

I enjoy my jacket very much. I've been wearing it all week. I got a size small and I'm 5'5 as well. I think it fits me pretty well. It's a little too short when wearing regular Jean's but wearing high waist ones seems to fix that problem. It looks just right when I put my Headgoonie vest over it.

I agree the pocket flaps are a little too short. I have correct buttons on order. And I am eyeing a certain jacket on Ebay for correct colored fabric to replace the blue pieces. I compared it to my 2015 jacket with the modified blue pieces with a more accurate colored denim and this new one is too dark. The jacket overall is very good though. I realize it is very difficult to replicate an item of clothing just from pictures on the internet. From a movie 33 years ago.

Besides HG, Max Cady and Magnoli, are there any other replica jackets out there I should look out for?

There's one on Ebay but I dont even think it's made out of denim. It looks awful too.

- - - Updated - - -
SS3000, here is a picture of real Guess pockets I use to have from one of those two tone Guess jackets. Perhaps this button placement is more accurate to the movie model.
37987873_10212844066284509_4526177243948384256_o.jpg

SS3000, would you mind showing a picture of your jacket? There's something I'm curious out between the different sizes.

Cool find today. I rubbed a small portion of the jacket to see if the spray they used can be rubbed off and it actually worked. I'm sure with some handling with a wash cloth and some water and some washes in a washing machine the darkness can be faded away.

Scratch that. I put my jacket in the wash today since I've been wearing it all week and it washed away a lot of the dark blue spray. The jacket looks even better now.

Old picture vs new. Same room and same lighting. This is just by putting it in the wash one time. So I should change my review a little. With this discovery I think this jacket deserves a little more praise now that the color is much better. I do still want to change some things though. New correct buttons are on their way, I want to have the blue pieces replaced with a more accurate color, and the paisley liner replaced with TheNickFox's from his spoonflower.
_10213383360046516_3697529219048275968_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

3_10213414775951894_146929126094143488_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Comparing pictures of the screen used jacket and the real off the shelf jacket, the snap buttons are clearly bigger. My hypothesis is that since the waistband was shortened to only two segments they had to remove the bottom snaps. And since they didn't have any that matched the original size, they replaced them all with a bigger size button. SS3000, that probably explains the button placement.

pleasedontselloutfastpleasedontselloutfastpleasedontselloutfastpleasedontselloutfastpleasedontselloutfastpleasedontselloutfastpleasedontselloutfast!

...I might just have enough and not die if I can just have a little more time...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back