Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

Any more pictures of the vest?
Lighting always messes with the colors but the one I own is much more of a burnt orange in real life.

0_10213377514340377_335713155164405760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

_10213377514660385_6507195905244921856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Received my jacket. Stay tuned for a review and comparison to the 2015 jacket. Right now I will point out that for some reason they chose to go with the inaccurate snap design. Not sure why. Their first finished prototype showed it had the correct design. This can be changed, but a weird detail that could have been executed better.

I was given a link to a preorder page from Miki Ooyagi on Faebook about 6 months ago, but its released now so no more preorders. Just whatever they have in stock at this moment. You can also direct message him. I believe they accept paypal. But be aware that this batch was even smaller than the one in 2015.

Yeah they got back to me on Facebook actually! I will consider ordering one. Not sure yet. Price isn't totally outrageous, just not sure if I want one that badly. Would rather have the 2015 BTTF2 jacket but that basically doesn't exist :(

- - - Updated - - -

Lighting always messes with the colors but the one I own is much more of a burnt orange in real life.

Is this vest considered the best/most screen accurate one to get?

Also what size Jacket/vest did you get? How tall are you? What kind of build do you have? I am thinking of ordering the jacket and vest and leaning towards a large since medium will probably be too small.

Last edited:
Received my jacket. Stay tuned for a review and comparison to the 2015 jacket. Right now I will point out that for some reason they chose to go with the inaccurate snap design. Not sure why. Their first finished prototype showed it had the correct design. This can be changed, but a weird detail that could have been executed better.

Do you have pictures to describe these differences? Would you say that this is till the best jacket to order? (also considering the vest)

Yeah they got back to me on Facebook actually! I will consider ordering one. Not sure yet. Price isn't totally outrageous, just not sure if I want one that badly. Would rather have the 2015 BTTF2 jacket but that basically doesn't exist :(

- - - Updated - - -

Is this vest considered the best/most screen accurate one to get?

Also what size Jacket/vest did you get? How tall are you? What kind of build do you have? I am thinking of ordering the jacket and vest and leaning towards a large since medium will probably be too small.

Yes the vest they make is the best replica ever made. It's impossible to replicate something 100% but I would say it's about 95%. And it is best to get your normal size jacket and then one size up for the vest. I have a size small jacket with a medium vest and they fit just like the movie. I am only 1 inch taller than MJF. I'm 5'5 with an average build.

Yes the vest they make is the best replica ever made. It's impossible to replicate something 100% but I would say it's about 95%. And it is best to get your normal size jacket and then one size up for the vest. I have a size small jacket with a medium vest and they fit just like the movie. I am only 1 inch taller than MJF. I'm 5'5 with an average build.

I think I'm 5''6. But I'm a billboard, so I have to order the largest sizes available, at least for the time being. I'll get back to my workout now.

Well, the Max Cady one I have is size 44, but I think that makes it a large... that one is rather tight around the neck and shoulders though, I don't know how losing weight will change that.

It takes a long time to lose weight to the point that you have to wear smaller clothes. And by then... everything I wear now will probably be worn out. So I'll need new stuff anyway. There's no telling what will exist by then. Will the Max Cady replicas be better? Will Headgoonie ever do another run of jackets? Will the market for this exact specific costume have gotten more popular, or dry up and be nonexistent anymore? God knows...

Last edited:
Here is my review.

I've been following the progress of this jacket ever since it was announced. I was really excited to see a new revision for the one in 2015, but unfortunately where they improved in some places, it got a little worse or stayed the same for the worse in others. Let me explain.

The overall shape and fit are much more accurate to the movie. They seem to have used a lighter denim as well so it doesnt feel as heavy. This helps if you're wearing a full Marty outfit since it is two shirts, the jacket, then a vest over that. Where it fails in comparison to the 2015 jacket is the main color. It is much too dark. The blue pieces are better than in 2015, but still incorrect. And like I mentioned earlier, the snap buttons are the wrong design which were correct in the prototype, but not the final release for some reason. The paisley liner is also the same from 2015 which isn't accurate.

The dark triangle on the pocket is also very noticeable. If this were to be executed properly they should have faded it down instead of leaving a big black mark. It really is a shame since it seems like they put more effort into this one, but failed to pay attention to the fine details. I understand the color is hard to pin down, but the 2015 jacket looked better in this department.

It looked much better in this picture. Notice the snaps. I believe they sprayed mine with the dark blue dye too much.
_10213383705735158_8416502382363410432_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.jpg

Last edited:
That's disappointing... but surely you can stone wash it?
I would have the remove the blue pieces and the liner to do that since stone washing would effect the whole thing and ruin those areas. And removing the blue pieces would leave the jacket in pieces. I removed them on my 2015 jacket to have them replaced with a more accurate color denim and it makes the shoulders and collar detached. I dont want to do that.

I wish I'd known what was going to happen to my Max Cady one beforehand. Bleaching definitely isn't a good idea, even a tiny amount of bleach ruins the lining so it has to be replaced. I pretty much give up on the Hollywood movie stars part, but at least Spoonflower has the lining for the cuffs in what I hope is fairly accurate fabric. The grey parts of the jacket are a very light grey so they have to be dyed indigo, and as carefully as possible to prevent it from looking uneven.

I think as far as lining is concerned, the Max Cady has the best lining. Especially the cuffs, too many people make it too big. Max Cady's paisley pattern is nice and small. But maybe I'm biased in that I have one and just lost the lining, to my great regret.

On the plus side, I got my HG vest today and I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:
Could you post a picture showing the differences in snap buttons between the prototype and final version?

You can see both designs in this picture. The first two sets are the nipple design and the next two are the correct circle ones. There are just different sizes you have to get right for this jacket.
ring-snap-button-clothes-snap-buttons-cheap.jpg_350x350.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back