Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

Yes, sir. I am only 5.4 and this was I think L to maybe even XL...
i am not sure exactly what size Michal was wearing in the movie, but I can assume that was S.

Yes he wore a small. With a medium vest over it. Im assuming even a small was a tad too big so they removed a couple sections from the waistband and resewed it back to the jacket. Or they just moved the waistband up under the lining and attached a new snap button since it would be moved up too much.

button dent.jpg
I sent this to HeadGoonie. I have screen shots of this in many scenes. The buttons have a little dimple in them. I hope he's adding this to his jacket.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure about the side pockets were on the originals (at least on the smiler pattern) I have posted this before, but this is what I bought on eBay in 2013. Unfortunately this was way too big for me and gave up though. As you can see there are reinforcing stitches on the bottom of the pockets, this one had those.

View attachment 825877

@Mitas
I’m glad to see that they did it perfectly! Pretty excited. I am hoping that they fix the curve of the front panels nicely as they mentioned. (that is the only down side for this updated version)

Is this a replica?

View attachment 830804
I sent this to HeadGoonie. I have screen shots of this in many scenes. The buttons have a little dimple in them. I hope he's adding this to his jacket.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a replica?

No, it was not a replica. That was an actual vintage.
I think this kind of dimple is depending on how hard you hit the snap from the back. (I have tested before) It has a risk to smash too much and ruin the snap, but you can replicate the look easily if you could take that risk!

No, it was not a replica. That was an actual vintage.
I think this kind of dimple is depending on how hard you hit the snap from the back. (I have tested before) It has a risk to smash too much and ruin the snap, but you can replicate the look easily if you could take that risk!

Would you sell it?

As for the buttons, the screen used jacket has identical, perfect, dimples in all the button, they must have been manufactured that way.

Would you sell it?

As for the buttons, the screen used jacket has identical, perfect, dimples in all the button, they must have been manufactured that way.

Sorry, I gave that jacket away years ago.
I hope Headgoonie cares those details, but since the shapes of the Headgoonie’s snaps are already not ultra accurate to me (the vintage one has more pronounced dome shape with pretty thin edges) I doubt that they are going to replicate it...but I am on your side, if they could do it for the final productions, that’ll be super!

Also, if they care that kind of detail, I wish they could make better paisley patterns...and dig more deeper on the left side inner fabric...etc... However, a replica is a replica and never be perfect, so I should just accept it this time...

If you check HG's instagram they have a short video showing that they will fix the blue chest pieces to have the correct curve.

If you check HG's instagram they have a short video showing that they will fix the blue chest pieces to have the correct curve.

The curve looks a lot better!

However, I realized one thing from the video. Which is the collar. As you can see in the screen used one, blue denim part is over the gray denim (sandwiching the collar) but the headgoonie’s jacket is opposite...the collar is on the out side of blue denim. Maxcady did it right, so I don't think it is nothing structurally difficult thing to do though.

Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 12.58.33 PM.png

????????? 2018-07-18 ??6.43.26.png

????????? 2018-07-18 ??6.41.25.png

The curve looks a lot better!

However, I realized one thing from the video. Which is the collar. As you can see in the screen used one, blue denim part is over the gray denim (sandwiching the collar) but the headgoonie’s jacket is opposite...the collar is on the out side of blue denim. Maxcady did it right, so I don't think it is nothing structurally difficult thing to do though.

View attachment 831310

View attachment 831311

View attachment 831312
No they got it right. The close up screen grab is of the greyish blue fabric. Not the full blue. Im using my phone so Im able to zoom in easily. With the collar flipped up the greyish blue is showing and when its down its normal blue.

Last edited:
No they got it right. The close up screen grab is of the greyish blue fabric. Not the full blue. Im using my phone so Im able to zoom in easily. With the collar flipped up the greyish blue is showing and when its down its normal blue.

Sorry my description wasn't clear enough. It’s not about color combo!

It is about how they attach the collar. See the stitch line. Collar should be underneath the blue chest piece.

I’ll pull up a high res version of that picture when I get home to have a look. That would be an interesting addition to my mental image of this jacket if true. I love how there’s still new information to learn about this costume.

So, I now absolutely am convinced that there are side pockets behind the flap pockets.

Why is that?

I just managed to obtain a vest from the same line as Marty's Jacket. And aside from a few minor differences (Split back, taller pockets, front seam location) it is a pretty damn good reference for the original.

...and guess what it has: SIDE POCKETS.

I'm sorry to have ever doubted you, oh wise internet!

Anyway, here it is:

IMG_9423.jpeg

When you start buying things that are incorrect just to obtain little bits of knowledge, you know you might be obsessed.

Is that the Headgoonie? Damn that look good!

Idk, for me the vest is the most important thing to get 100% right. It's the top layer of all that clothing, and it's the most eyecatching thing when it's worn. I'm glad I ordered HG's vest (because by some miracle I could) but I can live with the Max Cady jacket with some minor modifications. But everything Marty wears is so much rarer and more specific than I thought it was five months ago.

It's like someone in the costume department said, "Let's make him wear as much expensive, 1980s stuff as possible, so that in thirty years it will all be IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere, except from replica stores. And all of it will add up to an incredibly expensive costume to replicate. And none of them will ever get it 100% right."

Wish Nike would rerelease the shoes, but I don't think they will until another anniversary at least, 2025 at the earliest. I think frustration/exhaustion is setting in, especially with my wallet.

Last edited:
Is that the Headgoonie? Damn that look good!

Idk, for me the vest is the most important thing to get 100% right. It's the top layer of all that clothing, and it's the most eyecatching thing when it's worn. I'm glad I ordered HG's vest (because by some miracle I could) but I can live with the Max Cady jacket with some minor modifications. But everything Marty wears is so much rarer and more specific than I thought it was five months ago.

It's like someone in the costume department said, "Let's make him wear as much expensive, 1980s stuff as possible, so that in thirty years it will all be IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere, except from replica stores. And all of it will add up to an incredibly expensive costume to replicate. And none of them will ever get it 100% right."

Wish Nike would rerelease the shoes, but I don't think they will until another anniversary at least, 2025 at the earliest. I think frustration/exhaustion is setting in, especially with my wallet.

What vest did you buy exactly? And what is the Max Cady jacket? What about his under shirt? I believe he has a tshirt and a button down. Nike Bruins are stupid hard to find and expensive.

Edit: I believe I located the Max Cady jacket. It looks quite nice. What are the criticisms of it?
Second edit: Wow, I had no idea this shop existed, Max Cady. So they are a replica shop? The denim jacket, vest, and shirt all look great. Besides price, what is there to criticize about them?

How accurate are Magnoli Clothing’s Marty McFly jacket and shirt?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The jacket they are currently working on hasn't been shown as it is not finished. I have not seen their checkered shirt. You can get a very decent one on Ebay for $50 or a re release from the company that made the one used in the movie for $88.88 but is has been confirmed that the hash lines are too bold compared to the movie one. They didn't replicate their own shirt 100% somehow.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back