Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

67Beatle88

tenor.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Headgoonie seems to be very quiet concerning the jacket. The best we are getting is different pictures of this same gross looking prototype. I guess just for entertainment it would be neat to compile a list of inaccuracies we wish they will fix before it is finally released. If I missed anything or you have any extra things to talk about you are free to do so.

1. The colors (most obvious) Instead of a very dark indigo faded and stonewashed they chose a flat grey that faded to a brownish grey color. Which they have said was an accident.
2. Front shoulder pieces are the wrong shape.
3. Paisley liner still has inaccurate shapes from the 2015 version. @TheNickFox has a more accurate pattern on his spoonflower.
4. It might just be trick of the light but the arms look to be too wide compared to the real Guess jacket.
5. The snaps are the wrong design. Not sure if these are the proper names but its a hole and nipple design of how they snap together. If you zoom in to the pictures above you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
They seem to be looking for better colors now. Not sure if it was the lighting but the shoulder pieces on the jacket above seem to have a close color.

Ah, and I just noticed that they’ve posted a couple new color tests. That’s great that they’re right on time with what they promised. But the result doesn’t seem great still.

It seems like HG is doubling down on fading just a flat dark grey. Shame. They were actually very close with the 2015 jacket. The hue of the faded blue just needed to lean a little bit into purple. Real Guess jackets and vests with the correct color reflect that. They did seem to take from the picture I sent them of a real Guess jacket of the same model from the movie though. A picture on their instagram shows that they will incorporate a triangle logo patch like the real thing.

Last edited:
I think the triangle patch is another step backward in accuracy. I know that LyonEstates made the case that the screen-used jacket had its triangle patch removed and you can see a dark spot, but I can either barely see it or my mind is just trying to convince itself that it’s there. If HG is planning to add this patch, then acid wash it, and then remove the patch before selling, what color will be behind it? Black? Then what choices do we have? We could either leave the black mark and explain it to everyone, or go on a hunt for authentic Guess triangle patches and explain that this is how the real jacket was before it’s branding was removed. Either way, it’s more mental gymnastics to try to convince ourselves or others that it’s really accurate. I’d rather that they don’t do this.

I think the triangle patch is another step backward in accuracy. I know that LyonEstates made the case that the screen-used jacket had its triangle patch removed and you can see a dark spot, but I can either barely see it or my mind is just trying to convince itself that it’s there. If HG is planning to add this patch, then acid wash it, and then remove the patch before selling, what color will be behind it? Black? Then what choices do we have? We could either leave the black mark and explain it to everyone, or go on a hunt for authentic Guess triangle patches and explain that this is how the real jacket was before it’s branding was removed. Either way, it’s more mental gymnastics to try to convince ourselves or others that it’s really accurate. I’d rather that they don’t do this.

They dont seem too receptive when it comes to tips. They are pretty stubborn in their ways. Any advice you give them is ultimately ignored. Ive been telling them that they need to have a dark indigo with a tad bit of purple in it to fade but it ultimately falls on deaf ears. They just dont want to fix it.

Some actual good news. Headgoonie actually came up with a way to correct the color slightly. Not 100% accurate but better than just grey. They haven't fixed the shape of the front blue chest pieces though. That will have to be fixed by taking it to a tailor with a correct pattern template.

Some actual good news. Headgoonie actually came up with a way to correct the color slightly. Not 100% accurate but better than just grey. They haven't fixed the shape of the front blue chest pieces though. That will have to be fixed by taking it to a tailor with a correct pattern template.
For the cost of the jacket you shouldn't have to take it to the tailor...

LGTM. I wonder what the durability of the blue spray will be. I sure hope it doesn’t easily transfer to car seats, for example. Next point of concern: will there be a 2XL size?

It looks like they somehow got their hands on one of the decent fakes that would pop up every couple years, but stopped around 2014. I think this is why they committed to the inaccuracies. They thought they had a real jacket when in reality they had one of the fakes. It's easy to tell other than the colors if you know what those should be. The pockets are too thin and too far from the edges. And now we know these jackets didn't have the Guess tag above the pocket. It was the triangle logo on the lower left of the right hand pocket as you look at it. The stitching on the blue chest pieces is also wrong.
blog901-768x923.jpg

Last edited:
If HG is planning to add this patch, then acid wash it, and then remove the patch before selling, what color will be behind it? Black?
Yes...This picture is before they spray the blue stuff on it, but it will still be a dark spot.
35409378_10212558383782625_6665988113262706688_o.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back