Back to the Future 1985 Denim Jacket 2018 Update

I kind of see the blue problem, but the grey looks fine. I thought we decided that it was black denim on the originals that they washed down to grey.

I kind of see the blue problem, but the grey looks fine. I thought we decided that it was black denim on the originals that they washed down to grey.
No matter what filter or lighting you use on a grey jacket you would not be able to get it to look blue. The jacket in the movie always has a blue hue.

What I've seen in most Guess examples (and also in the Teen Beat pictures) is that the grey fabric is actually a dark indigo Chambray that's been heavily stonewashed to an blueish grey. You can see it even in the 1986 examples of Guess jackets (the ones with the inaccurate pockets all over eBay) up close

GueGuess Chambray.jpg

And here is the same jacket further away:
Guess Chambray 2.jpg
To make the jacket 100% accurate, Miki would need to source a dark indigo chambray and use his chemicals on that type of Chambray, not grey Chambray, to get the desired result. I'd make a replica jacket myself but I don't know of anyone who's made and shared dimensions of their leather accented (but dimensionally identical) Guess jackets

New instagram video shows them spraying the back of the jacket with what im assuming is the fading chemicals. The shape of the jacket looks nice.

So what chemical are they using? It isn't the same as the last one is it? I use guns like that, and what you're spraying has to be thinned out to be able to flow properly.

So what chemical are they using? It isn't the same as the last one is it? I use guns like that, and what you're spraying has to be thinned out to be able to flow properly.
Not exactly sure. The best answer I got from them is that it is an industrial chemical that normal people cannot acquire.

Not exactly sure. The best answer I got from them is that it is an industrial chemical that normal people cannot acquire.

Saw that video and was wondering that myself. Do you think a medium to light mixture of bleach, water, and detergent in a spray bottle would yield good results? I may be getting a Cady jacket soon and am going to brighten the grey up to look more like the newly discovered Lyon Estates jacket.

Saw that video and was wondering that myself. Do you think a medium to light mixture of bleach, water, and detergent in a spray bottle would yield good results? I may be getting a Cady jacket soon and am going to brighten the grey up to look more like the newly discovered Lyon Estates jacket.

Im afraid not. I tried that a few years ago and it turned a spot on the jacket a yellow color.

Well finished pictures of the jacket should have been shown by now. Perhaps they are still tweaking the final prototype.

I woke up this morning a checked Headgoonie's instagram and they posted a picture of a completed jacket. Unfortunately they deleted the photo. I saved the picture to my instagram favorites, but it disappeared. I can say that the overall shape is much better than the previous model from 2015. The pockets are also a more accurate shape. They did however admit that the colors were off and they want to commit more time to getting more accurate ones. The main parts of the jacket were super grey. Like it was very noticable and dark. And the shoulder pieces were also incorrect as stated a couple weeks ago. I wish I still had that picture so you all could see it. At least they want to fix it though so thats good news. If only someone on here knew Japanese to communicate exactly what the colors should be.

Last edited:
The image isn’t loading for me.
————-UPDATED————-
Oh now it shows up. Shape’s a little off it seems.

Last edited:
So I translated the text from the official Headgoonie website and they say that an updated color jacket will be shown off at the end of May. This is the directly translated text.

"Bomber jacket improved version.Although the detail was nearly finished, eventually the color adjustment of denim did not make it in time by the exhibition.

I will bring the one of the picture.
Ox denim part is darkly raised and over die (brown dirty processing)
It is weak, and it is still in the improvement stage.

Please check sizing and overall details for the time being.
The color of the actual denim will be officially announced at the end of May."

Last edited by a moderator:
Something about it looks off to me...

Other than the colors, the blue shoulder pieces on the front are also the wrong shape. They are too large and wide. It also looks like the arms are too wide as well. Also I am pretty sure they used the wrong fading chemical because if you use the wrong one on some fabrics it turns it brown like the picture. They said they are trying to make a better sample jacket though.
attachment.php

I've pointed out a few inaccuracies before this final picture came out, but it doesn't seem like they care. Indy Magnoli, i hope you don't mind me mentioning you here.

He is taking all this information and their missteps to formulate his own jacket. If you are unfamiliar with his work you should visit his website. http://www.magnoliclothiers.com
Guess had used the same colors on another one of their jackets so it is easier to match the colors than just looking at pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we're completely redesigning our jacket and vest under our White Label line. We've already acquired an original period jacket and vest from Guess and Class-5 (slightly different models from the originals, but many correct details and same material and colors as the originals). We'll be using these to match fabric, color and some details. The rest, we'll tweak from images and info in the various RPF discussions.

Once we have something to really share, I'll start up a new thread for our updated jacket and vest.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back