The Last Starfighter Sequel

Haven't we always done that, though?

I was expecting that ;) And yes, we did. Raymond Loewy was a brillant designer and as important to industrial design as the Bauhaus movement for architecture. He started that trend in the IIRC 30ies?
But look at the reason for the designs. The need for more speed. But Movie vehicle design needs to evoke emotion and has to be interesting to the eye, bring across a feeling of agression or grace or strength, creating instantly recognizable shapes. McQ and Johnston and Cobb and Reynolds and Mead all did that. There is always something breaking through a streamlined hull (see the streamlined train engine), making it interesting.
The NuBSG Vipers are a good example, although the classic design was streamlined as well, but IMO done in a good way. Enterprise? Bad. X-Wings? A catastrophe if not for the old designs by McQ, borderline IMO. Stormtroopers in the ST? I think that whatshisname totally missed the point of those uniforms. Where is the intimidating skull and skeleton appearance, the shock in shock white?

There's no guarantee this is happening. This is exactly like when Neil Blomkamp did all the Aliens concept art. The idea is to show the reverence he has for the property and get enough social media buzz to convince the people guarding the IP that they can let it happen.

Given how long people have been trying to remake this film and the pedigree of some who have tried, I don't think any pretty pictures are going to make a difference. I'm not holding my breath.

That said, if it happened, I'd love it. There's no need to even reboot it, you could easily make it an update/sequel that doesn't need to rely on the original-- much like Tron.

To me this would be a piece of cake to do. Videogames are even more ingrained into our culture now than they were in the 80s. All they have to do is say there's again some kind of war and they need new pilots. Some fancy new popular game comes out and people are trying to win a contest put out by the developer to see who can get the highest score (or some other goal) before a certain date hits. Those top kids are taken for pilot training. Fill in all the rest and send me my check. :)

To me this would be a piece of cake to do. Videogames are even more ingrained into our culture now than they were in the 80s. All they have to do is say there's again some kind of war and they need new pilots. Some fancy new popular game comes out and people are trying to win a contest put out by the developer to see who can get the highest score (or some other goal) before a certain date hits. Those top kids are taken for pilot training. Fill in all the rest and send me my check. :)

This is essentially what they did on Hulu's Futureman where a computer game is both a combat simulator as well as a test/means of finding the ultimate warrior who they can bring to the future to save all mankind.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back