John Krasinski's A Quiet Place (Post-release)

What did you think of A Quiet Place?

• Total voters

Vivek

Master Member
A Quiet Place is a horror film directed by John Krasinski.

Screenplay: Bryan Woods, Scott Beck, and John Krasinski.

Cast: Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, Millicent Simmonds, and Noah Jupe.

A Quiet Place (2018) - Official Teaser Trailer - Paramount Pictures - YouTube

DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg

Attachments

• DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg
    DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 189
  • DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg
    DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 195
  • DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg
    DVOikE9V4AEalKX.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been pumped for this ever since the Super Bowl trailer.

That, and it’s possible I may have a bit of a crush on Emily Blunt.

I was really looking forward to this one. But right from the first scene the characters were doing stupid things, and making poor choices to move the plot forward instead of the story resting on common sense and moving forward in a more compelling way.

The film had some good points. It was not a total wash. The premise was stretched very thin, and there wasn't a whole lot of logic to help keep it going. I like the idea, but the creatures were never portrayed as being smarter than us. They were portrayed as being very simple, primal, and incredibly aggressive. I got about 30 minutes into the film and started wondering why the hell they didn't just use sound to draw them in to a trap and then blow them up? It would be so easy to do.

The reason to see the film is the performances. I did enjoy the family dynamic and the idea of a post apocalyptic "silent" world was cool. But, if you see it you will understand. Just live by the river.

This seems mislabeled as a horror movie being more of a suspense/apcalypse movie. I liked a lot of it, but other parts I couldn't turn my brain off for. They dispatch one of the creatures using sound and a shotgun, the minute their MO was widely discovered (as it had been, drawn to sound) the militaries of the world would have wiped these things out. I know it's suspension of disbelief but unless a creature has a baked in resistance to bullets there's no real way they would win. If humans are good at one thing it's killing fleshy creatures with superior firepower.

I would have preferred to see an ending with another short time jump where the remaining family members all wear hearing aids of their own to keep the creatures at bay the way the original one had. They are moving forward and living on a stronger but still volatile bubble of peace and safety.

I know it's suspension of disbelief but unless a creature has a baked in resistance to bullets there's no real way they would win. If humans are good at one thing it's killing fleshy creatures with superior firepower.
Well that's the thing... you must have missed that the creatures were armored - it says so right on the white board. The only reason that she was able to kill it with the shotgun is because it's "face" was completely opened up, revealing soft, vulnerable bits.

16546457.jpg

Also, this newspaper clipping from the same room:

16546458.jpg

I did see that in the whiteboard, but I'm still not okay giving it a total pass. Sonic weapons are a thing already in the hands of our military, and would likely be employed against a threat like this. I appreciated the movie trying to show us its "rules" but I still think it's a stretch.

Did like the movie though don't get me wrong.

Well, yeah, sonic weapons are a thing... and perhaps the military did try them. And perhaps they never hit upon the right frequency/never got a chance to because they were creating noise and were therefore attacked and slaughtered before they could figure it out.

I think what they were trying to convey was that *that* particular cobbled together hearing aid was creating feedback when it was in proximity to one of the creatures, which was itself emitting ultrasonic noise. *That* was the key.

I thought it was really good. Yeah, you can nitpick certain things, but it was a refreshing concept and I really like the performances.

Was anyone else more freaked out by the nail on the staircase than any of the creatures? I kept thinking - they need to fix that nail or someone else is going to step on it! Oh, and do it quietly or else one of those creatures is going to eat you...

I finally saw it tonight and was thinking the same thing!! Every time they went down a set of stairs I was waiting for someone else to step on it!

Overall, really enjoyed the movie. Really neat concept, and I thought it was executed well. The creatures looked a little too much like the Demagorgon from Stranger Things which was a bit odd but didn't bother me too much.

Actors were all great, but I thought it was pretty bad. Too derivative of The Last Of Us and Signs(which I hated). In a situation like this, I would never be having more kids, and the young kids you do have basically need to be duct taped at the mouth and strapped to your chest. Living on a farm? Where the rustle of wind in a cornfield could bring these things? Just so many things about it felt light and not very well thought out. A post apocalypse where you can't even hammer a single nail turns out to be a pretty boring scenario for a movie. Not looking forward to the sequel.

It sounds like the sequel is going to follow one of the other people in the area who light fires, and will happen at the same time as the events in the first film.

That sounds like an excuse not to tell a bigger story, show the world at large, and rehash established ideas instead of introducing new ones. Hope I'm wrong!

With Krasinki about to become Jack Ryan, he probably will not have enough time to do much more than produce the sequel. So maybe a fresh director will look at this and see that these creatures would be easy to outsmart, no matter how dangerous they are.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back