Homemade Captain America Shield

Stavroast

I made this thread to ask a question, before that I will give some background on it

Mid-Feb 2018, I decided to start to make a full metal cap shield.
I did my research and the best option for me, money and time, is going through the sled option. (You know this if you also researched this)
Got the shield, sanded it and removed the paint.
Macgyver-ed a metal spinner, with a bicycle wheel and a power drill as the motor.
Got the shield to a somewhat spun aluminum look. Couldn't get it completely clean as minor "black spots" still cover some of the surface
My original plan for this project was to not have a shiny finished, but a more dull look. As it looked like in Age of Ultron. And not a dirtied look, just more dull. Pictures attached
I also wanted the spun look to be seen on the final coat of paint.
Taped off the rings and spray painted 1 coat. I realized even with 1 coat, it was covering the spun aluminum look.
I made the decision to then add 2 more layers of paint for a solid coat. Cause 1 coat was already covering the look, might as well do a complete paint job

My question to you, to anyone who has experience in this, and to one who has created a shield before, how do i get the spun aluminum look on the top surface even though the paint covers the original metal finish?

Ive done testing, with other sheet metal, after painted them taking a soft steel wool and rubbing in a straight manner to try to get the look.
All this does, is creates this lighten rubbed look as if you took light brown dirt and smeared it on. Pictures attached
Another idea I tried was adding a clear coat on top and sanding that layer in hopes to get the brushed look.
This though gives the same effect as stated above.

If anyone has had experience with this, or has any advice, please contact me with a solution.
Thanks, Stavroast

Attachments

• Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Captain-America-Marvel-Poster-HD-Desktop-Wallpaper-2560x1600-915x515.jpg
    Avengers-Age-of-Ultron-Captain-America-Marvel-Poster-HD-Desktop-Wallpaper-2560x1600-915x515.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 180
  • CA_Aou_Set_behind.jpg
    CA_Aou_Set_behind.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 234
  • 20180328_152647.jpg
    20180328_152647.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 223
  • 20180403_162816.jpg
    20180403_162816.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 227
  • 20180403_162855.jpg
    20180403_162855.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 192
Hi there StavRoast!
Nice work on your shield so far, thought I could lend a pointer or two.
For the spun aluminum effect on a sled shield, the easiest thing to do is use 80 grit sand paper stuck on the end of a ruler or yard stick (something stiff but still a little flexible) and spin it like a propeller around the shield. You'll get nice deep brushing lines that you can go over with some finer grit paper to brighten up.

Point two is to use a different kind of paint. what you want is an anodized finish - this stuff has a deep almost translucent effect that really makes the shield pop, while also allowing the brush lines to show through.

As for a breakdown of a sled shield build - look no further than here:

https://www.therpf.com/f78/metal-movie-cap-shield-budget-done-final-pics-page-4-a-128238/

A gentleman by the handle Valor threw that together, and later optimized the process. I've no idea what he's up to these days as i haven't been around here much in quite some time.

Here's a little mod I did to mount my shield to the wall - easily detaches and re-attaches to boot!

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229753&p=3499976#post3499976

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back