Comscanner from "The Orville"

Shipbrook

Here's my version of the Comscanner from The Orville. Modeled in Blender, printed on an Ultimaker 2+, sanded, painted, and assembled.

IMG_20180401_205521.jpgIMG_20180401_205451.jpg00000IMG_00000_BURST20180401210027_COVER.jpgIMG_20180401_203214.jpgScreenshot.pngIMG_20180322_225107.jpgIMG_20180326_185941.jpgIMG_20180401_150629.jpg

Apart from the 3D-printed parts, I used Lexan for the screens, graphics drawn in Inkscape and printed on laser transparency sheets, and the electronic components to light them up. And a couple of springs.

Would you ever consider doing a project run of this in kit or fully finished form, because as I said before it’s really awesome.

Thanks,

Matthew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you ever consider doing a project run of this in kit or fully finished form, because as I said before it’s really awesome.

Thanks! Once I tweak out a couple of issues with the model (found another angle that showed I'd got the dark rectangle on the back slightly wrong, and need to make a little more room for the switch), I'll be putting it up on Thingiverse with instructions, so anyone with access to a 3D printer (or who's willing to pay a printing service like Shapeways) can make their own.

Thanks for the video.

Doesn't your screen light up, independent of the pop-up?
I see LEDs around the screen in one of your photos.

Also, how did you determine the size dimensions for the body and can you share them?

Nice job :)

Last edited:
Doesn't your screen light up, independent of the pop-up?

It does. It's just that the four LEDs in the corner of the main screen pointing in towards the center aren't as blatantly obvious when looking at it head-on as the two LEDs in the carriage which holds (and lights) the popup screen. I might back the main screen with foil to block those two, though that might make the screen appear dimmer overall.

Also, how did you determine the size dimensions for the body and can you share them?

I took a screenshot of a closeup of Seth MacFarlane holding the comscanner, measured the ratio of the side button to the distal phalanx of his thumb, measured my own thumb, and calculated it from that (scaling up by 3% since he's a couple inches taller than I am, under the completely unscientific assumption that our thumbs are sized proportionally to our heights, and hoping it wasn't actually the hand of someone in the second unit whose height I don't know).

That gave me a body that was 8cm wide and 15cm tall (when closed). From other screenshots, I estimated a depth of about 3cm. These figures may be wildly inaccurate compared to the actual props, but since they weren't considerate enough to write an episode where someone held a ruler next to a comscanner, they were the best I could come up with. If I ever do find the actual sizes, it shouldn't be too difficult to resize it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back