Comscanner from "The Orville"

Just for grins, here's a paper model version that I exported from Blender.

BpJMs6v.jpg

("It's just gluing paper," I said. "How hard can it be?" I said. "Arrrrgh," I said.)

Anyway, the model (PDF, 2 pages) is here.

Cut solid lines; Valley-fold dash-dot lines; Mountain-fold dashed lines.
Suggested assembly order:

1. Assemble the scanner screen.
  2. Assemble the scanner cap and attach it to the screen.
  3. Assemble the com screen and attach to front of body.
  4. Assemble the rear wedge and attach to rear of body.
  5. Attach all the fiddly bits at the top of the body, leaving the sides and bottom open.
  6. Crush the alligator in the cargo bay with a chair.
  7. Attach the scanner screen to the body.
  8. Assemble the sides and bottom of the body.

BpJMs6v.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic. I got the 3d printed parts. Having a bit of trouble with e buttons and movement. Do you have a list of the electrical components and spring descriptions?
I wanted a very flush front face so I added an inset piece. I also will be using metal screws instead of the printed ones.

Front .jpgFront Inside.jpgMidway.jpg

Just for grins, here's a paper model version that I exported from Blender.

View attachment 812771

("It's just gluing paper," I said. "How hard can it be?" I said. "Arrrrgh," I said.)

Anyway, the model (PDF, 2 pages) is here.

Cut solid lines; Valley-fold dash-dot lines; Mountain-fold dashed lines.
Suggested assembly order:

1. Assemble the scanner screen.
  2. Assemble the scanner cap and attach it to the screen.
  3. Assemble the com screen and attach to front of body.
  4. Assemble the rear wedge and attach to rear of body.
  5. Attach all the fiddly bits at the top of the body, leaving the sides and bottom open.
  6. Crush the alligator in the cargo bay with a chair.
  7. Attach the scanner screen to the body.
  8. Assemble the sides and bottom of the body.

Front .jpg

Front Inside.jpg

Midway.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I am loving this, the resistors and small spring, do you have a source? I can get something close but not the dimensions listed in the build. 1/4 watt, 1 watt resistors?

Don't really have an exact source; I picked up a bag of assorted springs and a bag of assorted resistors (1/4 watt) in person from a Scientific American store.

$32 for the springs listed on the site mentioned in the build Min 6 each. Seems like a lot for a few springs.

If you order from the website, instead of picking one up from a local store, you can reduce the quantity to 1, and it's accepted into the cart just fine that way. Not sure why it defaults to 6, but it's not my site. And one spring is easily enough to make two comscanners with, or three if you short each one by a millimeter.

Re: Comscanner from "The Orville"

thanks
I'll give that a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I don't see the smaller spring there. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

Just tried that it default back to the min order of 6.

Re: Comscanner from "The Orville"

Also I don't see the smaller spring there. Any suggestions?

Like I said, I just got it in a bag of assorted springs. Googling for the dimensions, I do find some on eBay (some are longer than 12mm, so you could cut them down). Or you could visit a hardware store and see if they have anything reasonably similar. Or you could get an assorted bag and hope for luck.

Just tried that it default back to the min order of 6.

Well, I don't know what to tell you; when I set the quantity down to 1 and click "Add to Cart", it only puts one in there. If that doesn't work for you, you could try going into the cart and reducing the number down to 1. And if that doesn't do the trick either, you could try going to a local Menards (or another hardware store, if there aren't any Menards in your area) and seeing if they have a spring to those specs.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back