Lifesize Pumpkinhead paint.

Mr Mold Maker

Master Member
Hey folks, another painting thread to hopefully pump some life into this section of the forum. Today we’ve got a lifesize Pumpkinhead cast by Qualityprops on instagram. This is cast from the real Stan Winston Studios sculpture. Painted with an Iwata Eclipse, mostly Tim Gore’s Bloodline paints from createx.

I took photos along the way, I’ll post them in order along with a little write up on each step.

01B33F2A-3693-4764-B608-77534A2C39B3.jpeg
Raw Cast from Quality Props. Prepared by thoroughly cleaning with warm soapy water and rinsing.

3D85E00A-46B9-43FD-935C-6039E23C13E0.jpeg
First passes of mottling. Transparent Iron Oxide Red, Injury Ochre, and Blood Red. Golden Hi-Flow Acrylics and Tim Gore’s Bloodline are the paints used.

54375831-07A4-4556-A304-AA5741DFBB7B.jpeg
Purple mottling, adding color to the “brain sections.”

DE873684-528E-46BE-BD95-3B02486057A9.jpeg
Darkening the colors with brown mottling, Shading Gray in the Brain area, black in the eyes and mouth. Added random pigmentation marks with black and brown. Also added white mottling and veining into the brain sections, as well as subtle highlighting here and there.

Unfortunately I didn’t really take photos from this point on, as it was all finer detail work, such as adding the capillaries and veining on the surface, more subtle mottling and color tie ins. Then of course, adding the teeth. I find that I get the best adhesion to resin by going over and “hear sealing” everything with a hair dryer. About 5 minutes going all over the surface until it is warm to the touch. After it cools down, I’ll add a sealer. In this case, it was Krylon’s Satin Finish. Three coats.
9EEF1B39-44A7-458F-96E1-B8B7A77110FB.jpeg04788DA3-C308-406D-A46F-0F7B31C1B191.jpeg482EED0C-62B2-472E-95BD-C90B3530F5D4.jpeg0F2E3ACF-744D-4ABA-8067-B79A67AC3CC6.jpeg862BA2CA-28F4-462F-BC83-0F12ED410173.jpegF1464C77-8717-4288-892D-3F85D0C6D99C.jpeg47E22F1C-D28B-40AC-8541-B715A6B685BC.jpeg9662E85E-5740-4F0B-BBE7-06449147B694.jpeg0CB9793A-D380-45D2-8F4F-5CBF82D4AC88.jpeg

Hope you guys like it, and hope someone finds it useful. I just painted an Elder Predator and got most of it on time lapse. If I can figure out how to put them all together in a YouTube video I’ll post that as well. Any questions please feel free to ask, and check me out on Instagram at Instagram.com/jackrupert133 to see these pieces before I make threads.

Thanks!
J

I just don't know. The sides and back top of his head never seemed to be those colors, or that dark in the movie.

No worries, can’t please everyone.

As usual, I make no claims to screen accuracy. I went for a much more saturated look because I think it photographs better and looks cooler on display. My references were mostly these and also what Tom Woodruff did on his copy. I worked for StudioADI and sent it over to Alec (the sculptor of Pumpkinhead) and he said he loved the colors.
23E09838-A2CD-44DD-A657-7FED1039177E.jpeg735E5F78-5A29-4B09-AC79-8B2313F20F86.jpegFDF924D1-188F-45EE-A4C9-A597E1AF8D2A.jpeg41257911-7654-4D56-BDB8-DAA5858E04EE.jpeg101F1524-78B1-4D17-9D4D-B7903C1D4E9F.jpeg

And here is the one Tom Woodruff (PUMPKINHEAD) painted and is displayed in ADI’s display room. Very similar colors.
C6EEAA3E-E74A-4132-AE46-A5310D7B503F.jpeg

Last edited:
Your work is insanely good! I just checked it out on instagram!
I may need to pick your brain about that infinity gauntlet paint job, im about to build one.
But insanely good job!

Your work is insanely good! I just checked it out on instagram!
I may need to pick your brain about that infinity gauntlet paint job, im about to build one.
But insanely good job!

Thanks! I actually have another one coming in for paint. I will try to grab photos and put together some sort of a write up. If you have any questions please feel free to send them over, happy to help.

No worries, can’t please everyone.

As usual, I make no claims to screen accuracy. I went for a much more saturated look because I think it photographs better and looks cooler on display. My references were mostly these and also what Tom Woodruff did on his copy. I worked for StudioADI and sent it over to Alec (the sculptor of Pumpkinhead) and he said he loved the colors.

Insanely good paint job. In fact, it's so good I'm repriming mine and starting over!! Definitely see a lot of things I want to strive for in my paint job.

In researching pics for reference, I had the same issues as you--all the production photos look different with regards to the color scheme. I think you nailed it. In fact, I think yours looks tons better than the ADI display piece.

On mine, I had the most trouble getting a flesh tone that I liked for the face. It was either too pale or too golden. What combo of Bloodline paints did you use for the flesh colored portions of your paintjob?

Thanks, and keep posting pics of your stuff here.

Insanely good paint job. In fact, it's so good I'm repriming mine and starting over!! Definitely see a lot of things I want to strive for in my paint job.

In researching pics for reference, I had the same issues as you--all the production photos look different with regards to the color scheme. I think you nailed it. In fact, I think yours looks tons better than the ADI display piece.

On mine, I had the most trouble getting a flesh tone that I liked for the face. It was either too pale or too golden. What combo of Bloodline paints did you use for the flesh colored portions of your paintjob?

Thanks, and keep posting pics of your stuff here.

Thanks! I have painted a little more on it since this thread, desaturated the colors just a touch. Can’t wait to see yours!

That’s a great question. If I recall correctly... I started with the raw resin base as it was a really nice color. I would have used Bulldog Adhesion Promoter since I was going right onto the resin. The mottling was Blood Red, Injury Ochre, and Golden’s Transparent Iron Oxide. I may have lightly misted over that with Decay or Golden’s Sepia? I’m sorry, it’s been so long and I’ve had so many projects pass through here that it’s a little hard to remember.

I know that that when I knocked the colors back a little bit I used Decay.

Hope this helps! Please post yours when you get a chance, I love to see these Pumpkinhead’s finished up!

I just don't know. The sides and back top of his head never seemed to be those colors, or that dark in the movie.
It depends on the images you see from the movie too. I lot of the preproduction stills of teh creature are taken with heavy flash, and then the movie creature is often lit with harsh colours.
moviegrab 147.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back