Rogue One concept Rebel binoculars

That's the one! :)

At the moment I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to have an accessible battery and electronics compartment. I think I'll use the hinge of the compartment that's facing down, and cut a new opening end that's not so close to the other camera.

I'll be putting a red laser pointer into the coaxial box. And lamps or LEDs into the miniature lenses. At the moment I'm busy stripping out all the unnecessary internals, which is a fun puzzle!
Depending on how you fix the hood and what you decide as eye pieces there should be enough space to leave the bottom hatch and the release intact. I think the two release buttons facing each on the rear fits in well with the look. Everyone will have to freeform with detailing on the bottom anyway.

There isn't enough clearance for the hatch to open with the two cameras side by side so some modification will be required.

Depending on how you fix the hood and what you decide as eye pieces there should be enough space to leave the bottom hatch and the release intact. I think the two release buttons facing each on the rear fits in well with the look. Everyone will have to freeform with detailing on the bottom anyway.

So the other day I received my binoculars, stripped them down and I'm gonna use these parts.
The bottom parts are already modified though.
5c0527ad519417b12a456e12fb1f173e.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G903F met Tapatalk
bb509e4a30a17fe12c20efbcb40f623c.jpg

Last edited:
Nice.

I was thinking of putting rubber bumpers over the door release buttons. You could even put a round one above them just like the Hoth version.

Well the viewfinder still needs some work. Still haven't figured out what to do exactly.

Did manage to make a wooden dummy of the coax adapter to check size and looks. It's a little thicker than the concept model because I need the extra space for my LED. But I'm happy with the way it looks so I'm gonna try to make it out of aluminium too.

Anyone have an idea where to find a coax connector that kinda looks like the one on the concept model?
510a641ae953d2d63b5f30e73b2bcde1.jpg

That looks excellent. What dimensions did you settle for? I modelled it I think at 33mm x 52mm x 11mm but I can't finalize it until I test fit the viewer hood which I'm still working on.

Thanks guys.
I made it 35 x 61 x 12+4. The back is 4mm larger than the front.
Time to post some of your pics Marcus [emoji6]

Yeah I recently mailed him again with the link to this thread. I hope he checked it out.
But I think he is not allowed to share more pics of the binocs other than the one posted on his website. Disney probably owns all designs.

I'm afraid I don't have much to show yet. Just some stripped cameras and lenses, leather sling, d-rings, square aluminium rod, bezel LEDs, eye pieces (from Hoth binoculars), and Graflex buttons. The rest is still either in digital form or in my head, or with a machinist!

But thanks to this project, I'm now capable of 3D CAD, which I knew absolutely nothing about until a week ago.

Thanks guys.
I made it 35 x 61 x 12+4. The back is 4mm larger than the front.
Time to post some of your pics Marcus [emoji6]

Just found out what the writing on the binocs means. It's the first 6 letters of the Aurabesh alphabet. That is so lame.
8d31ad1e32faa817f609dbb0102bd82f.jpg

I noticed the aurabesh font a while ago. I plan on making them as vinyl decals.

I don't think it's a real coaxial connector. It has some very unique ridge patterns on it. I have started to model it for a possible chromed SLS print.

My three sweeties. None of them are finished though.
The only one I need right now is the Hoth version. Had it once but sold it years ago. Think I'm gonna buy a 3D printed version one day. Anyone familiar with the April Storm version that's on Etsy?
d224b35c1f30cd7937a66d75d1b80023.jpg

This is AWESOME! I'm totally a sucker for Concept art, and to see it executed so masterfully like this is [ERROR: WORDS.EXE NOT FOUND] I've wanted a set of binoculars for so long, and seeing this makes me wonder which one I'll start with when I inevitably do...

Also FWIW, I feel like the Coax connector is actually a dial knob with the innards removed, It looks like they drilled out the top with the little mark on it and glued the coax end into the knob. This is the initial picture that has the tight style on it, though I am still sourcing the make/model/era of radio it's off of. What do you think?

5ef28b24aad04bfc249f3e9a5d41687d.jpg

To clarify, the end we see is the one currently pointing to the innards of the radio, IMO.

Thank you Tim.
I love all SW binocs and the way they were build.
It could very well be a dial knob. It sure looks like it. If it is than it's resized like so many other items on this prop.
But keep searching.

Guys we need your help!!

We have no idea what we are looking at. Perhaps some of you might recognize something. We were thinking of a resized V8 part but that doesn't seem to be the case. So any help/advice is welcome.
54fc7a1e8f1cf25eb4038155accf6997.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back