The original ORCA from JAWS...

Plasticfan

I had previously posted thin my Jaws Buoy thread, but thought it might warrant it's own category...

Here's one of my favorite Jaws-related pics. Wish I could claim this "prop" was mine... but nobody gets to have it anymore - as it was destroyed I think in the early 90's. It had been on display at the Universal Studios Hollywood backlot tour for years, until someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided it was in too poor shape to restore - and chainsaw'd her up for the scrap heap. Even Steven Spielberg was infuriated by this stupid decision. I think I remain one of the very few who ever had been photographed onboard the vessel while on the backlot. (Taken by my father when I was still in my teens -1987) This was a few years before her demise. I don't think even any remnants of it were salvaged. - An unforgivable waste.

ORCAERIK_WEB_RPF_HD.jpg

Plasticfan, thank you so much for posting that photo!! There aren't sufficient words in the English language to describe how much I would have loved to board that vessel as you did!

I wish I could have met Lynn Murphy as well, it's very sad that he's passed, but man he lived a life! I'm also grateful to you for posting those shots of Orca 2 in the other thread, thanks very much for that! :thumbsup

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was sawed into pieces!!!!!!!!!!!! Who did that? I want names!!!
Anyway, virtually everything can be restored. If not to seaworthy condition, it could have been display worthy. My God...

Was Bruce still hanging up in the plaza when you took that pic?

I think it still was at that time... before it found its way here... It was removed a year or two ago I believe. Hopefully to be fully refurbished - as it was the last remaining shark made from the original Bruce mold.

JUNKYARDBRUCE.jpg

JUNKYARDBRUCE2.jpg

Attachments

• OrcaModelErik_RPF.jpg
    OrcaModelErik_RPF.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 870
  • JUNKYARDBRUCE.jpg
    JUNKYARDBRUCE.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 666
Plasticfan, thank you so much for posting that photo!! There aren't sufficient words in the English language to describe how much I would have loved to board that vessel as you did!

I wish I could have met Lynn Murphy as well, it's very sad that he's passed, but man he lived a life! I'm also grateful to you for posting those shots of Orca 2 in the other thread, thanks very much for that! :thumbsup

Yeah, it makes me sick that they trashed what should have been preserved in some fashion. I am grateful, at least, that it was positioned for decades to be enjoyed by fans at the Universal tour. I apparently was very lucky to get to board her as I did, but in hindsight, I wish I had taken so many more photos while there. Though we had permission to be on the lot, I actually had to duck in into the cabin when the tram rolled by, so as to not unnecessarily arouse suspicion by the tram driver. I sat hunkered - down in the still-half-upholstered red vinyl bench where Quint gave his iconic Indianapolis speech. It was a surreal moment for me, as I could hear the tour guide on the loud speaker driving by. The forward cabin was already underwater due to years of structural decay, so I dared not go any further in. But I so regret not taking photos of the inside cabin. I still remember the damp, musty smell, and sight of browning crusty foam rubber peeking through cracked and peeling vinyl.

I think I have a few more pics I took of the Orca II with Lynn Murphy. I'll see if I can locate them and post them here if you'd like.

Below is a pic of me that I photoshopped onto a close-up photo of my miniature Orca model I made back in 2013. I wish the real Orca had been as decked out as this when I got to stand on her transom back in '87! :)

OrcaModelErik_RPF.jpg

This is one of the real tragic movie prop losses by the hands of a studio. It would be in the top 10 easily... I actually do want names, we'll put stickers up on their homes that say Orca Killer. :lol

Damn,I thought that was the real Orca you photoshopped yourself on.Would love to see more pictures of your model.

Dave

I have a pic of me standing by him in 1977 I think it was.

I am surprised he was still there in 87

I got near the Orca but no way in hell was I boarding her I didn’t want to cruise the back lot with wet clothes :lol

I think it still was at that time... before it found its way here... It was removed a year or two ago I believe. Hopefully to be fully refurbished - as it was the last remaining shark made from the original Bruce mold.

View attachment 806482

View attachment 806483

Now that is an incredible model! really superb! I found photos of that online some time ago so it's very nice to meet the builder of it :)

I think I have a few more pics I took of the Orca II with Lynn Murphy. I'll see if I can locate them and post them here if you'd like.

Ohh I'd like! :) that would be very kind of you thanks very much! I'm presently sculpting a 1/20 scale Bruce, a blend of 'Junkyard Bruce' and a platform shark in new condition before they became too distorted and waterlogged. I've also been working on Orca drawings against the day I build one in scale to the shark, but that will be some way off yet. Your model is inspirational!

Now that is an incredible model! really superb! I found photos of that online some time ago so it's very nice to meet the builder of it :)

Ohh I'd like! :) that would be very kind of you thanks very much! I'm presently sculpting a 1/20 scale Bruce, a blend of 'Junkyard Bruce' and a platform shark in new condition before they became too distorted and waterlogged. I've also been working on Orca drawings against the day I build one in scale to the shark, but that will be some way off yet. Your model is inspirational!

Here's a nice high res shot I took from the side of the Orca in Hollywood on the day I boarded her... I'll see what I have with the Orca 2.... Thanks for your kind words.

rpfSIDEORCABIG.jpg RPFORCA 2 Murphy2.jpg RPFOrcaLARGELake.jpg RPF2ndORCA ERIK.jpg RPFORCABACKLOT.jpg RP_ORCA_CREW.jpg CHUCK_ORCA2.jpg WEBORCAERIK425.jpg WEBLYNN_ERIKORCA.jpg WEB_ORCATRIO.jpg WEB_QUINT_BLOOD_ORCA.jpg

Last edited:
QUOTE=gonk27;4437621]Thanks very much for those images Plasticfan, great stuff![/QUOTE]

No problem. I've been wanting a reason to digitize these photographs for years anyways.... :) Here, I'll start some more-which I'll keep adding to....

NO_TRESPASSING_ORCA.jpg LongOrcaBeach.jpg WEB_CHUCK_TOUCHES_ORCA.jpg WEB_MARK_CHUCK_ORCA.jpg

Attachments

• LongOrcaBeach.jpg
    LongOrcaBeach.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
Thanks very much, they're greatly appreciated!

When was Orca2 finally dismantled do you know? Had Susan and Lynn ever had plans to restore her?
It would have been a major job so you can't blame them for deciding against it.

Thanks very much, they're greatly appreciated!

When was Orca2 finally dismantled do you know? Had Susan and Lynn ever had plans to restore her?
It would have been a major job so you can't blame them for deciding against it.

I think Lynn had for a long time toyed with the idea of restoring her, but I'm sure time and potential cost understandably took their toll on his ambitions.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back