Luke's Ahch-To Weather Shawl (Poncho) - Here's what I know. WIP

sw63

Hi all,

here's where I'm at...
poncho2.jpg

It's a Russian military poncho and I'm certain this is identical to the type used on screen.

Still need to do some stitching and oiling but I thought I'd share this with you as I've discovered some little details in this build that might help someone wanting to have a go at Hobo Luke.

First off, there's a good build thread on the Rebel Legion Forum which I can't find right now but they have this visual (warning: it's HUGE!
View attachment cape.jpg

Very helpful but not 100% accurate in some details.

Firstly, the shape of the neck - it's not round. It should look like this:
poncho neck.jpg

(Pádraig the Porg just had to get in on the act)

Next the bib. It should look like this:
poncho1.jpg

poncho3.jpg Luke.jpg

The shoulder clasps should look like this:

poncho shoulder clasp.jpgponcho shoulder 1.jpgponcho shoulder.jpg

You might notice there's a seam stitched into between the two clasps. This is to form a shoulder and can be seen on the screen-used poncho.

Next the pocket:
poncho pocket inside.jpg
From the inside of the poncho.

poncho pocket outside.jpg
And from the outside.

I removed all the extra material (pocket cover, buttons, etc) and restitched the pocket surround just like on the screen version.

Since the clasps are not very practical and keep coming undone I've stitched a popper at the very top and very bottom of the bib. This holds it in place perfectly and the one worn by Mark Hamill in the promo photos shows there is a fastening at the bottom of the bib anyway.
Luke1.jpg

I'll post some more photos when I've oiled it up. I will be using a mixture of boiled linseed oil, beeswax and paraffin wax.

Note: My stitching looks white in these photos but it is actually green. It will darken when it is oiled.

Last edited:
I would imagine it's some kind of waxed canvas. I actually really love this costume. Hate the movie. Love the costume.

Nice start! I love that you're doing this too. If someone can pull off a convincing old Luke we can have him do some uh..stuff! It's great that us grown ups have an opportunity to be Luke again! Sorry, won't derail. Subscribed! :)

As much as I loathe this movie, I really do love this costume. It's layers are practical and the color choice to go with more deep earth tones was a nice fresh direction. As much as I love the traditional style Jedi robes this new design was welcome in my eyes.

I look forward to seeing how it turns out!

Great work! Loves the movie, the costume and this Luke. Also working on the costume. I went with a basic waxed canvas I got from a UK supplier. Nothing special and not overly expensive. Good work on the buckles. Also had to fashion some myself after months of looking through a mad amount of buckles, straps, climbing harnesses etc. Almost there, will post pics when I can but ive posted a pic of my wip...minus the rain cape. Could do some insight into the backpack...might start a separate thread about that...

Attachments

• image6.JPG
    image6.JPG
    665.2 KB · Views: 195
Great work! Loves the movie, the costume and this Luke. Also working on the costume. I went with a basic waxed canvas I got from a UK supplier. Nothing special and not overly expensive. Good work on the buckles. Also had to fashion some myself after months of looking through a mad amount of buckles, straps, climbing harnesses etc. Almost there, will post pics when I can but ive posted a pic of my wip...minus the rain cape. Could do some insight into the backpack...might start a separate thread about that...
That’s awesome! Do you care to share how you achieved your fabric looks (or sources) for the tunic/bag? They textiles look closer to anything I’ve been able to find online or at home so far

Sorry, I had thought I'd replied...apparently not! I got the fabric via a seamstress/costume maker in London. She does a lot of work for West End theatre snd TV and so has a knack and I guess a load of contacts in that world. It took us about 9 months to source it mind, I was getting ready to accept I might just have to learn how to knit!

I've attached a picture of what it looked like before it was dyed. With all things being equal, and assuming I dont mess up the weathering, I might even have enough spare ....will let you know.

Attachments

• 20181209_163450.png
    20181209_163450.png
    328.3 KB · Views: 170
Amazing work. I’m very new here (like, this comment is literally my first interaction in theRPF heh) and I’m wanting to learn. Thinking of doing something like Luke's TLJ outfit to start. This post has kind of sealed the deal for me. :)

That is pretty special. Looks brilliant. Was there this weekend. Real shame I missed you. Would have loved to have seen that close up.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back