Teen Groot: Infinity War - WIP - Pic Heavy

BobbyFromBUF

Hi friends,

Many of you have followed along with my other Groot build thread on the RPF...

You can find it listed under "Groot - Foam Build - WIP - Pic Heavy"

I'm hoping to create a new Groot costume using some fresh ideas. But, I'll start off with a question...

In the new trailer, we can hear Groot's video game system making beeping sounds. These sounds are very similar to the sounds in Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 when the Sovereign Fleet is engaging the Milano.

Can anyone identify the origin of these sounds? Is it from a real game? Did they just make up the sound for the movie?

Attached is a screen shot that a friend found online of what the gaming system appears to look like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. FB_IMG_1522203447418.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
fd98d927fd5da0660711c87689792566.jpg

Last edited:
Alright RPF! It's been too long since I have completed a proper tutorial thread. This cosplay is not 100% complete, but I am planning to post my progress so far. Here goes...

As many of you know, I built a Groot cosplay a while back and my build tutorial became pretty popular (26,000+ views and counting). Well, since I have a pretty good Groot mask I figured "why reinvent the wheel?" With this in mind I placed my Groot mask on a helmet stand and started working...

DSC_0639 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0640 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Last edited:
DSC_0641 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

No. Groot is not preparing for an alien invasion. Basically, I wanted to make a copy of my helmet, but without doing any damage to the existing cosplay. In order to accomplish this I wrapped Groot's head in aluminum foil.

DSC_0642 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0643 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Once the head was wrapped I traced out the location of the eyes and mouth.

After finishing this step, I began covering the whole head in duct tape.

DSC_0644 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0645 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0646 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0647 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0648 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I was careful to wrap all the way around including under the chin.

DSC_0649 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0650 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

For the next step, I drew on the template attempting to begin to capture some of the features of Infinity War Groot. One thing I would like to note is that Infinity War Groot is extremely thin. I mean VERY slim. Personally, at 5'8" 182lbs I am NOT slim. Haha. One way I hope to fake this a little bit is by creating larger features on the face and an exaggerated head size.

DSC_0651 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Here's a look underneath the chin. I felt that it was really important to add extra material under the chin in order to have extra to trim away to capture the jaw line later.

DSC_0652 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Once I had a pretty good idea of the features I started peeling away the foil from the original mask.

DSC_0653 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0654 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Note that the red lines are the details from my Vol. 1 cosplay while the purple lines are my plans for the Infinity War version,

DSC_0655 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Next, I cut a slit down the back to remove the template.

DSC_0656 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0657 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0658 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I ended up with this...

DSC_0659 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0660 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

In order to get the rounded template to lay flat I would need to trim away excess and "darts". I repeated this trimming step until I was able to make the template lay flat.

DSC_0661 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0662 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0663 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0664 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Next step will be to trace the template onto a foam anti-fatigue mat...

DSC_0665 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Once I had the template flattened out I traced the shape onto the EVA mat.

DSC_0666 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Note that I cute out the eyes and a slit for the mouth to ensure that the location of these details remained similar.

DSC_0667 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0668 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Once I felt good about that I got a black marker and drew some details to help capture the annoyed essence that is Teen Groot...

DSC_0669 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

After that I cut it out and began to do more examination of the shape...

DSC_0670 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0671 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0672 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0673 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Next I began planning for how I was going to create the jaw line. Unlike Vol. 1 Groot, IW Groot doesn't have a lot of cracking and separation throughout the face. I felt it was much more important to have a single uninterrupted surface for the "skin". With this in mind I left a lot of the extra foam around the chin area when I was cutting away the darts.

DSC_0675 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Then I folded the flaps in over each other to determine where the trims would be needed.

DSC_0676 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0677 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

While the flaps were folded in over each other I traced the location of the overlaps to know where to make the trims. I then cut away those "triangles"...

DSC_0686 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0687 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0688 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0689 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

The total size of the foam that I used for this mask was about 33" x 20.5"

DSC_0690 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0691 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0692 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0693 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0694 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Next I started folding the foam under on itself and gluing the flaps together to form the basic shape of the chin.

DSC_0695 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0696 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0697 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0698 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0699 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0700 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0701 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Then I started gluing the back together...

DSC_0702 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0703 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I was careful to make sure that I made the "crown" flare out as it appears to in both the IW trailer as well as on the Hot Toys scale figure...

DSC_0704 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0705 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0707 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

At this point, I was pretty happy with the starting shape, but I need to just keep trimming until the helmet would fit over my head...

DSC_0708 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

You can see the thin green guideline that I drew and am following as I make these trims. While trying to make the opening larger I was simultaneously trying to make the opening into a more perfect oval as well.

DSC_0709 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0710 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

So, eventually I come to terms with the fact that I will need a slit up the back to squeeze this mask over my head.

DSC_0711 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0712 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0713 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Looking at myself in the mirror I can see that the chin is still too big and round. So, more trims...

DSC_0714 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0715 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0716 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0717 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0718 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0721 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Getting closer...

DSC_0722 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

The trims around the eyes were pretty sloppy since I used an old, dull X-acto blade. So, I trimmed them a bit with my curved lexan scissors.

DSC_0725 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0726 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

At this point, I needed to switch to my cheap-o rotary tool from Harbor Freight Tools. I just started trimming around the eyes. The main goal in this step is to create depth,

DSC_0727 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0728 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0729 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0730 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

With the depth starting to come together I got out my heat gun and a pair of leather gloves and started trying to shape the "bone structure" of the face.

DSC_0731 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0732 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

The key is to focus on a small area and press from both the inside of the foam as well as the outside simultaneously to add more curve. I pushed out from the inside around the eye to create the appearance of an "orbital bone". I pressed out from the inside to create that small bulge in the "snout". Do this step slowly, carefully, and repeat over and over as needed.

DSC_0732 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0733 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I also pressed out from the inside to create the brow ridge ad pushed in on the bridge of the nose to create that contrast.

DSC_0735 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I pushed in on the cheeks and temples as well...

DSC_0736 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0737 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Once I was pretty satisfied with the shape I started working on the eyes. For the lenses I opted for cheap sunglasses from the Dollar Tree.

DSC_0738 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I placed 2mm craft foam inside the mask and traced the opens of the eyes.

DSC_0739 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I made 2 copies of each eye. One for the interior and one for the exterior of each lens.

DSC_0740 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0741 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0742 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0743 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0744 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0745 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0746 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I surrounded each lens with craft foam to allow the lens to be installed inside the mask.

DSC_0747 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I used the second pair of lenses to create the pupils... In case you couldn't tell, I used the brownish lenses for the main part of the eye, and I cut small circles out of the darker lenses to make the pupils.

DSC_0748 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0749 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0750 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I glued the two lenses together using CA+ Glue from the local hobby store.

DSC_0751 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

The eyelids are probably the most important step. If the eyes are not set deep enough into the skull and are not covered partially by eyelids, you will lose a lot of realism in the expression...

DSC_0751 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0752 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

I added an extra layer of anti-fatigue mat to ensure that the eyes are set in deep enough to look real...

DSC_0753 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0754 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

With the shape sorted out and the eyes installed I started carving the lines in the face for the skin. I looked at many screen caps and photos of the Hot Toy 1/6 scale toy before doing this. I was very careful to follow the direction of the lines I could see in my examples.

DSC_0755 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0756 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0758 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0759 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0760 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

DSC_0761 by Robert Whalen, on Flickr

Because i dont have a groot head to base the teen groot head off how do you think i should go about with making the base head?
I added some measurements of my template. It ended up being about 33" wide at the widest point, and about 20.5" tall at the tallest point.

Foam is relatively cheap. Give it a shot! Test your drawing skills!
001d972f64b968331ddaf5e7b77e603b.jpg
3e713838cff28249d249f25c1be260da.jpg
7c2cbd1585cbb75a9f4b41de6be9749a.jpg
c6d90dad16cf40ca75d9d663e56d5986.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Good luck man! - I was considering a teen groot but my daughter has decided she wants to be Black Widow and me to be the incredible Hulk this time around so onto muscle suit building I go!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back