Original V2 switch

Still looking for a switch - while I’m looking I took Dans first kit and experimented with color

this is a rose gold dusting and a chrome/black flat dusting

Attachments

• 764EC921-7478-4122-BB66-AA8DE73C7503.jpeg
    764EC921-7478-4122-BB66-AA8DE73C7503.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 355
  • 244AA619-B304-43BC-891C-C53ACD9D53DD.jpeg
    244AA619-B304-43BC-891C-C53ACD9D53DD.jpeg
    553 KB · Views: 360
Stumbled across this thread & it's something I was looking into. I think I have a way to Maybe sort out which sort of switch this is but it needs the help of a member/s with a descent 3D CAD of the V2. If they could replace the cone nob with a simple vertical switch & then overlay on the red switch photo it would :

a. tell us if this switch is in the same place as the V2 cone nob.
b. Probably tell us if the red switch is also 'vertical' ie, perpendicular to the hilt body. If it's not & at an angle then it is almost certainly a toggle. If vertical then could still be either a 3 position toggle (in mid position) or a push button, but in favour of the push button.

I don't know how much effort that would entail & it's not something I can do or I would.

Is there anyone willing to have a bash at it?

Please! That would not only be a great way to confirm that this is the V2 (or isn't) due to the seemly random switch positions on this and the V3... and help narrow down what type of switch.

Since this thread I just stuck a radio shack toggle switch in there sideways for now

What’s wrong with the one Halliwax found? Looks dead on to me. It’s weird seeing these old threads pop up. I get all excited thinking there’s new information lol. To answer your question that has already been done. Take a look at the v2 thread and any of starkillers threads where the photo telemetry was applied. It’s in the exact same spot. The cone knob replaced the switch. It’s a two pole toggle switch.

Last edited:
What’s wrong with the one @Halliwax found?

I can't find that post. Do you mean Rusellsch ?

Take a look at the v2 thread and any of starkillers threads where the photo telemetry was applied. It’s in the exact same spot. The cone knob replaced the switch. It’s a two pole toggle switch.

I've recently been going through the V2 threads & I seem to have over looked that. I'll have another go, Good to know it's been done though. Thanks.

No, I'm talking about Halliwax's Obi-Wan Legend build. He identified the correct wires, connectors, a perfect switch, everything.
Starkiller has a ton of reference in his threads where his finished model for the V2 was done in overlay on many screen shots.

I'll have to go back too, I don't remember descriptions of the components or cad comparisons sorry lol

What's your reference for the connectors? I've only got the light up scene in the hanger for the V2 (& red switch photo) & the connection there is very short - if not directly into the hilt - black socket & long white plug.
Red switch photo looks like a single socket black inline connector (jack plug?) with plenty of black insulation tape on the wire.

Last edited:
Isn't the white of the wires clearly visible when Ben first switches it on?

As for the connectors, I dunno, I know there are decent pics of the "Graflex" stunt and its connectors...

Dann.
These are the only views I have got of the 'V2' connector / wiring. They are all enlargements from 4K77 screen shots except the 'red switch' photo above which shows black insulation tape wrapped ? wire with inline connector in middle? I'm taking it the lower 3 in my pic. below are the same saber/wiring only where the black tape ends on single white flex. The graflex stunt has white banana plugs into red panel mount sockets which I've used in my ANH saber experiments thread. I'll do some test set ups there later for the white jack plug? set up of the top 2 arrangement in below pic. to see which most resembles the pictures.

Xmultijack.jpg

I can't find anything anywhere that looks like the square section ones Haliwax has used , so I'm intrigued about his source reference.

Hmm, well shoot, I dunno. Yeah, it's hard to make out any connectors on any of those pics.

This in an amazing project! I'm a new here but have read this thread before. I've been itching to try my hand at building an LED lightsaber, but after seeing what you have been working on, the reflective material the stunt sabers themselves I'm ever changing my mind about the electronics route. This is just too cool! Awesome work sir!

I remember reading that a 1/4" jack was used (remember that little drawing vadermania posted?) could that be the connection?

It's what it looks like in the top pic's from the light up scene - a white 1/4 inch jack. But the black bit is? I've seen vintage jacks that are 2 tone. If you watch the changeover (below from 36:10 ) you see the props guy is working very close to the hilt & we don't see any hanging tail on it as he walks across so I'm quite sure we can see the connector in this grab.

Last edited:
All the evidence, both visual, and from a primary source, points to audio connectors. But if anyone has contrary evidence, please share. :)

Couldn't find any overlay of that red switch photo but some kind soul sent me some & illuminated me as to overlaying which is way more complex than it looks. For instance lens type & distance to object need to be known (amongst others) - or guessed...

The overlay here is based on an early Anakin V2 & overlay values are best guess so lots of room for getting things out of whack. I'm posting this pic as it's a scan from 'the book' & is way better quality than we've been looking at (I've enhanced for colour, levels & curve).

Switch looks straight up but it's not conclusive but clearly has the look of a red topped toggle & not a push type.

M1Xpo.jpg

Yep! I thought, if it looks straight and not at an angle, it might just be installed perpendicular to toggle side to side, instead up up and down.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back