Original V2 switch

Sometime most likely when it was chosen to go into space, lucasfilm redressed it, covered it in tape, and repainted it, so it looked better in the public’s eye with all its attention traveling on the space shuttle
No, it was originally "spruced up" for the exhibition that toured Japan starting in 1993 - From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives was the companion book to that exhibition and is the origin of this photo:

6269358a123e11e6963bf23c910800e5.jpg

This was the first good look that we all got at the V3 (as well as the "Hero" and the Vader stunt).

It didn't fly on the shuttle until STS-120 in October of 2007.

Lol yes Space Shuttle repaint was horrible...they should have called spirit of obi1... his v3 repro is amazing.

Anyway what I was more getting at was the Obi v2 stunt paint in ANH. From the pic I posted above it appears to be all black and NOT with gray emitter and bronze neck. A lot of info I’ve seen tracks to this all black paint for v2 but was wondering if it was ever confirmed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lets see is that saber with the switch, the same as this? in different lighting? or a different stunt?
the emitter appears to be black and the windvane appears to be brown
pic2.jpg

theres also this photo.
obiV2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if this is okay - but as for paint colors, we could always try radioing BAlinger15 to see whats either still on the V2 today or for any other help?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it was originally "spruced up" for the exhibition that toured Japan starting in 1993 - From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives was the companion book to that exhibition and is the origin of this photo:

View attachment 806715

This was the first good look that we all got at the V3 (as well as the "Hero" and the Vader stunt).

It didn't fly on the shuttle until STS-120 in October of 2007.

2007!!! Wow!! I thought it was MUCH longer ago then that!! Dang! That really caught me by surprise

I know as of 3 years ago it’s in a hallway at the ranch. My friends son works there, he gave her a tour when the family went to Cali to see him.

lets see is that saber with the switch, the same as this? in different lighting? or a different stunt?
View attachment 806774

theres also this photo.
View attachment 806775

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if this is okay - but as for paint colors, we could always try radioing @BAlinger15 to see whats either still on the V2 today or for any other help?

The saber with the switch is the ANH Obi stunt with long lever, missing sidebar and clamp card which became the v2. The top pic you posted above without the long lever and no clamp card I believe is the Obi stunt which became the v3. The paint on this stunt and the second pic appear the same, so *looks* to be the same hilt.

The saber with the switch is the ANH Obi stunt with long lever, missing sidebar and clamp card which became the v2. The top pic you posted above without the long lever and no clamp card I believe is the Obi stunt which became the v3. The paint on this stunt and the second pic appear the same, so *looks* to be the same hilt.

Your believe this picture here is the v3?
1a1186a9caf2ae02d4178646bd197288.jpg

I thought we were all under the impression the v3 was a back up and never used?

Your believe this picture here is the v3?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180402/1a1186a9caf2ae02d4178646bd197288.jpg

I thought we were all under the impression the v3 was a back up and never used?

Seth’s saber bible points to the second ANH Obi shared stunt becoming the v3 and used in the ROTJ throne room.

Not to get too side tracked on v3 lore, what I’m really after here is consensus on the paint job on the shared stunt that became the v2. The pics of the v2 ANH Obi stunt seem to indicate all black vs the gray/bronze/black treatment that the ANH Obi v3 stunt gets...looking for thoughts on this.

d6621c5580167798d58864fb14845e25.jpg

View attachment 806774

theres also this photo.
View attachment 806775

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if this is okay - but as for paint colors, we could always try radioing @BAlinger15 to see whats either still on the V2 today or for any other help?

I think they're the same saber. But the graflex clamp has slid forward onto the grenade.

Dan

In the pop culture quest clip on the V2 and the picture released by Brandon, you can see that the V2 isn't just black. The wind vane definitely has some color to it.allinger_group_closeup.jpgallinger_v2.jpg

In the pop culture quest clip on the V2 and the picture released by Brandon, you can see that the V2 isn't just black. The wind vane definitely has some color to it.View attachment 806827View attachment 806828

Yes this is how it appeared in ROTJ...but what color was it painted when it was used as an Obi stunt in ANH? In the ANH bts photo (with red button and long lever) it appears to be painted all black vs gray/bronze/black.

Yes this is how it appeared in ROTJ...but what color was it painted when it was used as an Obi stunt in ANH? In the ANH bts photo (with red button and long lever) it appears to be painted all black vs gray/bronze/black.

Good point, I'll have to see if I have any other reference pictures that are useful. I get confused between the two Obi ANH stunts, I might have filed my pictures wrong.

I'm getting myself in a muddle now. These two are different sabers right? The top one looks like it has tape for the booster section which is holding the pommel to the main body, whereas the second pic looks to have a solid metal booster. Am i right? So which one of these has the switch as they both look like they have wires connected to them?
obiV2.jpg

Capture.JPG

Wellllll, I think I can MAKE this work.
20180403_082325.jpg

The retention nut from the switch threads onto the cone knob.
20180403_081159.jpg

However, the switch is having a hard time matching up perfectly with the thicker amount of threads that are on the lightsaber body.
20180403_081758.jpg

Granted, I'm not really giving it a 100% try, as I don't have the new saber body yet, & I'd like to keep this one in as good a shape as possible... until the new one arrives.

View attachment 807013

View attachment 807014

However, the switch is having a hard time matching up perfectly with the thicker amount of threads that are on the lightsaber body.
View attachment 807017

Granted, I'm not really giving it a 100% try, as I don't have the new saber body yet, & I'd like to keep this one in as good a shape as possible... until the new one arrives.

I think Dan's cone knob is 1/4 20 so it may be coarse vs fine thread?

looks good though, was that a scrounged part? :)

Good point, I'll have to see if I have any other reference pictures that are useful. I get confused between the two Obi ANH stunts, I might have filed my pictures wrong.

No worries. There always seems to be some confusion over which hilt is which whenever I've seen this discussed. When there's clear evidence like the long lever visible it's easy but other times not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting myself in a muddle now. These two are different sabers right? The top one looks like it has tape for the booster section which is holding the pommel to the main body, whereas the second pic looks to have a solid metal booster. Am i right? So which one of these has the switch as they both look like they have wires connected to them?
View attachment 807006

View attachment 807007

I *think* these are 2 different hilts. The top one being the v3 and the bottom the V2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 807013

View attachment 807014

View attachment 807017

Whoa, nice switch! Got any more around you'd be willing to part with?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Whoa, nice switch! Got any more around you'd be willing to part with?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I found it on eBay searching for "on/off toggle switch". I would've bought multiples,to sell later, however, not knowing if they were correct, I only got the one.

Here is another shot that shows the gunmetal, bronze, and black, with the clamp in position.

I almost want to say I don't see the long lever (which would be on the right or top side of the clamp)

this could be the shared stunt, seeing as the clamp on the v2 seemed to stay put.

does anyone have a well lit photo of Obi Wan right during his death? he holds it pretty well for the camera there...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back