Mark.XLII/42 Gauntlet & Boot w/ internals

The14thDr

Sr Member
Before I begin, a huge thank you to @jackieisrockin whose foam files I used throughout this build (unfolded for foam by @ironmaided).

I definitely don’t have the time, space or patience to build an entire Iron Man suit, so instead, inspired by the “warehouse escape” scene from IM3, I’m building just the left boot and right gauntlet of the Mark 42 suit (complete with removable interior details - à la the Mk-1.5 flight stabiliser.)

That’s the obligatory introduction over with, now onto the actual build!

Here is all the pep work done for the gauntlet. This took a few days altogether, and the hand was made using the templates and tutorial by Dali Lomo on YouTube (I still need to figure out the best way to attach the fingers.)
33c13eb8a2bf65cb19d273bdfbdcb639.jpg

e0c48e572dc626b526be71f17f819fc5.jpg

Mainly due to my extremely skinny build, the armour was far too loose to be worn without slipping off my arm. That’s where the interior gauntlet comes in.

Based on the “mark 1.5” flight stabiliser from Iron Man 1, this fits around my arm using magnets and hinges. The foam gauntlet then slips into place over the top and can be worn without slipping off.
c67148774760f01e319c034a27854df0.jpg

64e896550377aeb6c385d6a30e501081.jpg

What do you think so far?

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I thought I’d post a quick update to let you know I hadn’t given up on this project.

I took a little break from building over Easter, but the plan now is to power through to get it finished in time for Infinity War. Task #1 was to fill in all the seams where the foam was curved into shape (I ran out of filler so had to use clay instead, but it seemed to work just as well.)

Once this had set, I sanded the clay smooth and gave the entire gauntlet 3 coats of PVA glue (inside and out) to seal all the pores and give it some added strength.
d11511fdaf81c3481c2b29357ac82667.jpg

Between coats, I made a start on cutting out the pieces for the left boot so expect another update for that soon.

I love that aluminum boot and i originally wanted to do an aluminum frame as well. But I got quotes back from my Proto shop (I work in manufacturing) and an aluminum frame would be expensive. So I need to invest in the tools to do it myself cause outsourcing may not be an option unless somebody on here knows of a good place. So I'm going to print mine out of alloy 910 (strong nylon)

I love that aluminum boot and i originally wanted to do an aluminum frame as well. But I got quotes back from my Proto shop (I work in manufacturing) and an aluminum frame would be expensive. So I need to invest in the tools to do it myself cause outsourcing may not be an option unless somebody on here knows of a good place. So I'm going to print mine out of alloy 910 (strong nylon)
That boot is not mine and I believe it is a 3d print in polymer painted to look aluminum. But I collect these pics for reference towards my build....

That boot is not mine and I believe it is a 3d print in polymer painted to look aluminum. But I collect these pics for reference towards my build....

I have seen the blog of that build and he actually had the parts cut out of aluminum in the end—I will be doing the painting version to make t look like metal lol but none the less good picture to bring up as this is a goal we are all trying to reach and it’s a great reference if you find the blog he does have a section on the arduino that opens and closes the boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen the blog of that build and he actually had the parts cut out of aluminum in the end—I will be doing the painting version to make t look like metal lol but none the less good picture to bring up as this is a goal we are all trying to reach and it’s a great reference if you find the blog he does have a section on the arduino that opens and closes the boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually did see it, his name is Christianson.
Now If you notice there is a pedal that is pressed by the foot. This idea I came up with after watching the 1st Iron-man.
My modified version of the boot will pivot front and back but also side to side just like a foot should...

Thanks for those photos Murdoch, they’ll definitely be useful when it comes to building the “under tech” for this suit!

Sorry about the big jump in progress; I completely forgot to take more photos along the way. :p

I finished the Pep work on the boot and shin last week. The colour scheme on the Mark 42, particularly the gold, seems to change drastically depending on the scene/lighting/etc. I’m not really a fan of the pale “champagne gold” so I used this photo as a reference when mixing the red and gold paints:
c012b818d36542a02605da4bccf84f29.jpg

And after two coats, this is what the set looks like:
82efe91a1c6a7cc11e586089753528f0.jpg

Nice work!! Looks great
Thanks buddy! [emoji4]

I finally bought some gloves to finish off the gauntlet. Nothing fancy, just a pair of thin gardening gloves for a couple of pounds.

I pepped the fingers out of cereal box card using @robo3687’s files, then glued them into place before finishing off with two coats of the same red and gold paint as the rest of the gauntlet.

For the repulsor, I used a tap light with the casing removed and excess plastic removed so that it would fit in my palm. The “lense” is a disc of clear plastic with both sides sanded to give it a frosted effect.
e3612be51d19916d3fa878c2df2b4b5c.jpg

416b77aa4d9f383cdbd82b7d7a1e51ab.jpg

9de6e4e9d406ad9b4392bb14c6a536be.jpg

(The silver accents were inspired by the hand on the Mark 46 suit, but also included to tie together the elements of silver on the boot and shin.)

Overall, I’m not too happy with how the fingers turned out - they look really shabby and the range of motion is extremely limited - but at least I have the option to upgrade them in the future; most likely 3D printed to get the kind of neatness I can’t achieve by hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

This update’s really just about final details before I move onto the weathering.

After looking back at stills from the movie I added the two silver panels on either side of the shin, then repainted the lower half of the gauntlet with a lighter shade of gold (this took me a while to work out - in some shots it looks silver, in others the same shade of gold as the rest of the suit; In the end I just split the difference and went with something not-quite-silver-but-not-quite-gold.)
b10c6b0e15f5f2d9275ef82e65fd4898.jpg

cbfc55761ec365b3e9b8d4a5f31fd1a9.jpg

Last edited:

After five long weeks, this build is finished!

To recreate the dirty weathered effect that the suit had later in the movie, I watered down some brown acrylic paint and applied it generously with a brush. While the paint was still dry, I gently dabbed away the excess with a paper towel.
cd73a037cc97d48143530d5596b75865.jpg

And purely for posterity, here’s a comparison photo showing the “clean” suit:
779c1e65332b577dd2c9fd6e10266480.jpg

I just need to seal the paint before I can take any photos of me wearing the boot/gauntlet.

Let me know what you think! [emoji4]

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back