Ready Player One (Post-release)

What did you think of Ready Player One?

• Total voters
:eek Just looked at the box office for this :eek

I bet Steven never thought one of his films would make so little in so many days....

I feel bad for people who can't sit back and enjoy a good popcorn flick without overanalyzing it to death.

I make a living on story and editing, so it's always at the front of my mind when watching a flick.

If I get mindlessly into a popcorn flick, and aren't constantly being pulled out by terrible story inconsistencies or logic, it can become one of my all time favorite movies (example: GOTG Vol 2. is my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE!!!)

But the second in Ready Player One where they made it out that in 5 years no one had tried driving backwards to get the first key, my mind screamed "BULL****!"

I mean, the first thing I tried every level of Super Mario 2 was to go backwards through the levels... is anything BEHIND the doors you come out of each level?!? (there WAS!)

Then everyone lived near each other?... I know tons of guys on this forum, and only one of them is in the same province of Canada as myself.

everyone was obsessed with 80's movies, but there was no indication anyone ever watched movies in the oasis or outside of it...

It's highly unlikely EVERY TEENAGER, 30 years from now, will be obsessed with 80's pop culture. Teenagers these days barely care about it unless referenced in "Pitch Perfect" (Basing this on my 16 year old and her friends)

All these things took me out of the story, which wasn't that great anyway...

Yeah it's neat seeing Firefly... Irong Giant... etc...

But that doesn't make a movie.

But the second in Ready Player One where they made it out that in 5 years no one had tried driving backwards to get the first key, my mind screamed "BULL****!"

I mean, the first thing I tried every level of Super Mario 2 was to go backwards through the levels... is anything BEHIND the doors you come out of each level?!? (there WAS!)

That one I'll defninitely give you. *heh*

Then everyone lived near each other?... I know tons of guys on this forum, and only one of them is in the same province of Canada as myself.

everyone was obsessed with 80's movies, but there was no indication anyone ever watched movies in the oasis or outside of it...

It's highly unlikely EVERY TEENAGER, 30 years from now, will be obsessed with 80's pop culture. Teenagers these days barely care about it unless referenced in "Pitch Perfect" (Basing this on my 16 year old and her friends)

This was why, even at 140 minutes, I wish it had been about a half-hour longer to allow some breathing room between beats, allow some passage of time, and let the character-development details have more than the blink-and-you-miss-it brevity we ended up with. All of this I only caught thinking on it after the fact and discussing it with friends. And some of it the novel makes more plain, and thinking back it was there in the movie, but not given enough pop to make me consciously catch it...

Gregarious Games and IOI are both in Halliday's hometown. They're the biggest economic concerns at this point. So there's something like the rush to North Dakota when the pipeline was being built -- towns being way overloaded and infrastructure strained to the breaking point. Squared and cubed. Wade says in the opening monologue that it's the fastest-growing city in the world. But it needed more context to get across just what that means.

The other part of that is the Gunters that have migrated/congregated over the last five years. They've been trying to grok all that is grok-able about Halliday to try to figure out where the keys might be hidden. Walking the same streets, watching the same movies, playing the same games, etc. It's not all residents, nor all those participating in the OASIS. But there are hundreds or thousands of Gunters who have moved there from near and far, and all of the High Five are serious, dedicated (for their own reasons) Gunters.

See, like I said I feel bad for you. I'm glad that I can go to movies and enjoy them like a ten year old. If I went into it trying to find flaws then I don't even see the point in going to the movies.

I make a living on story and editing, so it's always at the front of my mind when watching a flick.

If I get mindlessly into a popcorn flick, and aren't constantly being pulled out by terrible story inconsistencies or logic, it can become one of my all time favorite movies (example: GOTG Vol 2. is my ALL TIME FAVORITE MOVIE!!!)

All these things took me out of the story, which wasn't that great anyway...

Yeah it's neat seeing Firefly... Irong Giant... etc...

But that doesn't make a movie.

There is really no big difference between a great film and an enjoyable popcorn flick. If the STORY and CHARACTERS are great then any obvious flaws become a mute point. The crap that pulls you out of the story kills all these modern films IMO.

See, like I said I feel bad for you. I'm glad that I can go to movies and enjoy them like a ten year old. If I went into it trying to find flaws then I don't even see the point in going to the movies.

I can definitely appreciate that. I even envy it a little.

Although I could just as easily (maybe even easier) say that if you're not going to over analyze a movie I don't even see the point in coming to a movie forum to go over it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Having said that, I LOVED this. You do have to suspend belief for a couple of things, like that they live in the same town, or that the hot girl in game is actually a hot girl in real life...with the wish fulfillment of a minor scar that weirdly makes her even more attractive yet also gives her humility! And is still age appropriate for our hero who looks geeky, but still attractive enough himself.

But I feel like the tone of the movie excuses such allowances. I thought it was fun and well paced. It had that "Spielberg" feel that I haven't seen in a while, even in Spielberg movies, but really worked for this one. I still think of it as "References The Movie", but it turns out that References the movie is a pretty good idea.

Definitely a pleasant surprise. I'll be watching this one again. On first viewing, my favorite reference was the appearance of Serenity.

Loved it, had one thought last night though, if the Zemecis cube sends everyone back in time, and Parcival and Artimis where not in the same clan, shouldn't Artimis have been affected too?

The movie definitely didn't say anything about parties or groups, but I choose to believe that some of the artifacts in game were party-wide. The two of them could've been considered by the game to be in the same party at that point.

The movie definitely didn't say anything about parties or groups, but I choose to believe that some of the artifacts in game were party-wide. The two of them could've been considered by the game to be in the same party at that point.

Actually, I think the Zemeckis Cube works similar to a grenade. Basically, Parzival and Art3mis were out of the affected area (we don't know if I-r0k was affected or not). But due to how high it was, it affected the Sixers and their ships only. Another possibility is the fact that Art3mis and Parzival were in so close a proximity that it didn't affect her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finally have time to sit down and really give my thoughts on this.

When all is said and done, the movie was okay. Classic Spielberg pacing and ending.

The references were fun but occasionally distracting. It's filled with a lot of things I grew up with, things I remember as a kid. And it's always fun to remember the good times I had playing with this toy or that video game. Often I would sit there going "Oh, Freddy. Oh, there's Blanka. Oh, a Tyrannosaur. Oh, the car has a KITT sensor on the front." etc. Sometimes I would actually miss what the characters were saying or doing because something caught my eye.

The Shining sequence is probably the stand out of the whole movie.

The characters are all sort of stock characters. But performed well enough.

I'd probably be on board for a sequel as long as it's not just collect more keys to win the prize. Maybe a deep dive into the culture of the Oasis, see how it is outside of the games. I also suspect that the Wizard/Halliday was either some kind of consciousness/mind transfer or an AI and there's some room to play with that in another story too.

I'd probably be on board for a sequel as long as it's not just collect more keys to win the prize. Maybe a deep dive into the culture of the Oasis, see how it is outside of the games. I also suspect that the Wizard/Halliday was either some kind of consciousness/mind transfer or an AI and there's some room to play with that in another story too.

We'll have to see where Cline takes the sequel he's currently writing.

I've never read the book on which Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" is based. I had never heard of it until I heard that Spielberg was making the movie. It's half pop culture references (much of it sensory overload, especially since I saw it in 3D), half story of a gamer taking on the CEO.

It's nothing profound or complex, but if you like seeing a lot of Easter eggs from the past few decades - both cinema and music - then you'll probably enjoy it.

---
Greets from Księgowa Kraków

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never read the book on which Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" is based. I had never heard of it until I heard that Spielberg was making the movie. It's half pop culture references (much of it sensory overload, especially since I saw it in 3D), half story of a gamer taking on the CEO.

It's nothing profound or complex, but if you like seeing a lot of Easter eggs from the past few decades - both cinema and music - then you'll probably enjoy it.

You should definitely read the book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife and I went to see this last night and I found it to be a very entertaining, funny, and well done film. I go to the movies for the escape and entertainment value and this film delivered. Being born in the 70's, I loved the nostalgia of it all. I was a part of the Pong, Atari, NES, SNES generation so I recognized and related to much of the film, including music and movie reference. After the movie was over my wife and I even hung around singing the closing Hall & Oats song!

If going to a movie provides entertainment, makes you smile or feel the emotion they are trying to convey, tells a good story, and gives you a break from the daily grind, that's a small win in my book. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Man there is some obscure stuff in there prop wise. Artemis is using a Seburo CX Exploder in the club scene.

500px-Seburo_Compact-eXploder_pistol.jpg

And of course the gun Parsival uses to shoot her is the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Blaster.

And a Silent Running reference? Man.

But the MechaGodzilla that wasnt actually any version of MechaGodzilla was a bit odd.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back