Studio Scale Snowspeeder 1:10 Scratchbuilt

I did a little Google research and it appears there is no definitive answer there. However actual film used models are not in abundance there. Granted, I only did a quick search, I'm sure others here know more about the actual film models than me. From my search it seems they are pointed in just about every direction except up. Some are down, some are angled in, some are even angled out.

All I've ever owned were the original 1980 model and the toys for the action figures. To my recollection those were down, but we all know toys aren't always correct. So, I guess anyway you want to go with it is fine.

Regardless, that is a beautiful piece you have there. Great job!! I would kill for one that size!!
Thank you and many thanks for checking this!

Nice build!!!

According to my Master Replicas snowspeeder, the bottom pieces on the cannons point down and slightly inward. I don’t know how screen accurate that is, but that’s how MR set them up.

Hi,
still not ready with the first one I wanted to build a second Snowspeeder, this time with open panels. Then I can make a version with red markings and one with grey markings. First steps are made:

1_E0_E9_B26-888_C-442_B-8_E99-9_B7221703_A24.jpg

Those update pics are beautiful Mindmax .:p
Would like to know what ithe source for references is you’re using , when building these craft - blueprints , books , websites ?

:cheersGed

Those update pics are beautiful Mindmax .:p
Would like to know what ithe source for references is you’re using , when building these craft - blueprints , books , websites ?

Hi Ged,
I have mainly used the 1:48 Bandai kit and upscaled it. I have also used all pictures I could find in the internet. I have seen the original Snowspeeder model at the Star Wars Indentities exhibition and made many pictures which I have used as a reference. Sure, my model is not a 100% copy of the original but it is as close to it as I could produce it. At the end I am very happy with the result and the overall look of my first Snowspeeder model. This is the reason why I have started a second Snowspeeder with open panels.
Best regards,
Mark

Thanks for your reply Mark .
Please accept , it wasn’t my intention to criticise the accuracy of your models in asking about their reference material at all .
I’m just very impressed ( slightly envious ) with your builds and how incredibly detailed and crisply finished they appear .
Can’t wait to see them all painted up !

Thanks for your reply Mark .
Please accept , it wasn’t my intention to criticise the accuracy of your models in asking about their reference material at all .
I’m just very impressed ( slightly envious ) with your builds and how incredibly detailed and crisply finished they appear .
Can’t wait to see them all painted up !

Hi Ged,
I did not understand your question as criticism. So everything is fine. I only wanted to list my references for you.
I have measured everything over and over, some parts needed to be build twice because I made mistakes. When I put some parts together I have realized sometimes that they do not look good enough for the overall look.
So far I have spent about 400 hours of work for the first model, almost everything is handmade. It wasn’t easy but fun!
Many thanks for your friendly words and interest in my work!

Last edited:
Hi, I am working on a couple of snowspeeders and I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer (didn't want to start a new thread just for one lil' ol' question).

Question is this: I'm a little rusty on my aerodynamics-- when one of the flaps open on the top/back, does that cause that side of the ship to go up or down? I'm planning on mounting them at a banking angle and want to make sure I get the correct flap open.

Sorry, not trying to derail or anything.

Love the way you've taken the "open panel design" to another level! I always thought that those birds were more mangled than we had seen on screen.:)

Hi, I am working on a couple of snowspeeders and I have a question I'm sure someone here can answer (didn't want to start a new thread just for one lil' ol' question).

Question is this: I'm a little rusty on my aerodynamics-- when one of the flaps open on the top/back, does that cause that side of the ship to go up or down? I'm planning on mounting them at a banking angle and want to make sure I get the correct flap open.

Sorry, I don‘t know.

- - - Updated - - -

Love the way you've taken the "open panel design" to another level! I always thought that those birds were more mangled than we had seen on screen.:)

Thank you Joberg!

The first model is so incredible. I love the open battle damaged panels on the second version. If I recall correctly there was a version of the model that they blew off some panels to show battle damage. That's what this second model reminds me of. Great work!

The first model is so incredible. I love the open battle damaged panels on the second version. If I recall correctly there was a version of the model that they blew off some panels to show battle damage. That's what this second model reminds me of. Great work!
Many thanks for your friendly words! I am happy that you like my models!

I would assume it would make the ship go up and to the side the panel is open on. But in real life, a panel like that would probably be ripped off by the wind if it opened like that, as in the hinge in the back. Basically making a parachute break. Thats why airplanes have them the other way around.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back