Agonizer from Star Trek: TOS "Mirror, Mirror" - Thinkjedi's WIP - New pics added!w

Think Jedi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've got a wild hair and decided to have a go at drawing up an agonizer prop rom the TOS episodes Mirror, Mirror and Day of the Dove in SolidWorks. This is what I have so far. I've done my best to get the prop looking right.

My plan is to make both a static prop and a prop with lights/sound produced on an SLA resin printer. SLA resin printers produce stunning output requiring very little cleanup. Check out my Singlepoint repro build thread here to see what an SLA print looks like hot off the printer.

For now, I'm posting a vid showing the 3D rendering of the prop. I'll be producing a prototype on an FDM printer in PLA this weekend and will post pics of it when it's done.
Comments/suggestions are appreciated.

tJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Thinkjedi's Agonizer from Star Trek: TOS

Prototype hot off the PLA printer. I pulled the supports off, but this is pretty much no finishing whatsoever. Surprised at how clean it is.

tJ

agonizer-raw4.jpgagonizer-raw1.jpgagonizer-raw2.jpg

OK, after inspecting the prototype, I've made some changes. Added some softer radiusing on the red button thingy and changed the shape of it a little bit so that it's a closer match to the screen prop. The agonizer will be produced in two parts. The main body and the top red button thingy. That will make finishing and painting a lot easier. 3D models done. I'm producing the next prototype in resin. Will update as soon as I have a print in hand, hopefully in the next couple of days.

tJ

High-quality resin version body just finished. The button will be done in a day or so. Will post pics as soon as I can. They will look amazing.

tJ

Final resin prop just off the SLA printer! This will take very little clean-up to finish.

tJ

agonizer-resin.jpg

Re: Agonizer from Star Trek: TOS "Mirror, Mirror" - Thinkjedi's work in progress

That's pretty dang accurate! Let me know if you make these available.

Re: Agonizer from Star Trek: TOS "Mirror, Mirror" - Thinkjedi's work in progress

Looking good man.
Thanks! I’m really happy with the way this has turned out.

- - - Updated - - -

That's pretty dang accurate! Let me know if you make these available.

That is the plan! Once I get a finished prop done in the next few days, I’ll open a thread in the Project Runs subforum.

I’ll be finish sanding this tonight and will post more pics.

tJ

After 10 minutes of sanding with 220, 400, 800, 1000 sandpaper. I'm priming and painting this tonight. Will post more pics of the painted prop tomorrow. Still am working out what to do for the buttons. I can 3D print those as well, but I'd like to find metal ones. Will keep you updated.

tJ

agonizer-sanded8.jpgagonizer-sanded6.jpgagonizer-sanded4.jpgagonizer-sanded5.jpgagonizer-sanded7.jpgagonizer-sanded2.jpgagonizer-sanded3.jpgagonizer-sanded1.jpg

OK, painted prop done. I have sourced what I think are going to be the perfect buttons, which I'll install as soon as I get them in the mail. In the meantime, check these pics out!

It took less than 1/2 hour from the time I picked the agonizer off the print bed to getting it to this point.

tJ

agonizer-almostfinished3.jpgagonizer-almostfinished2.jpgagonizer-almostfinished1.jpg

Beautiful work! To me, the grey looks a little too dark, but I'll be honest, I think in my minds eye it should be "phaser grey" so it matches the rest of the equipment. I'm not going to challenge the color you chose, though as you clearly did your homework on the piece. :thumbsup

Thanks Funky!

Yeah, the lighting in the pics make it look darker than it actually is. I'd like to say I know exactly what shade of grey it is, but the truth is, I eyeballed it. Paint can always be redone if necessary.

The buttons came in and I can see I will have to make a slight change to the rear button recess as mine is a bit too small to accommodate the button. I drilled out the hole (and chipped the back in the process), but I was able to fit it. I'll make the change to the model and the next one will accommodate the button perfectly. Here is the finished agonizer:

tJ

agonizer-finished3.jpgagonizer-finished1.jpgagonizer-finished2.jpg
Beautiful work! To me, the grey looks a little too dark, but I'll be honest, I think in my minds eye it should be "phaser grey" so it matches the rest of the equipment. I'm not going to challenge the color you chose, though as you clearly did your homework on the piece. :thumbsup

The metal buttons are a nice touch.

Thanks! I really like how they turned out. This one is going to a friend of mine who used to alternate between dressing as Spock and Evil Spock for Halloween.

tJ

The metal buttons are a nice touch.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back