Star Trek: Mark IX TR-590 Tricorder

Dreamscape

With my Star Trek Nemesis phaser finished, it's time to swiftly move on to my tricorder (kit from Stapleton Productions) and electronics (on the way) from gmprops.

20180323_181126.jpg

Further updates coming soon.

So I've been working on a few things. First I've drilled the holes that will accommodate the wiring, including to the metal hinges (which will connect the bottom part to the main body). I've also stuck the back of the main body on, and blended it in with putty. A few coats of primer and sanding with a 2500 grit have got the seam almost impossible to see.

20180326_193816.jpg

The next thing I'll be tackling is colour. I've done some tests with the back plate using a Vauxhall Astro Silver. For comparison I've place the buttons, and the raw resin next to it.

20180326_194428.jpg

20180326_201609.jpg

It's difficult to tell from images whether the buttons truely are lighter, darker or more blue grey than the body. While mine will be the science tricorder, here's an image of the TR-590 medical tricorder:

tricorder-300x300.jpg

And one of the scientific:

17284_7-600x463.jpg

What do you think? Too light, wrong saturation of colour (blue grey vs brown grey)?

Last edited:
I use Vauxhall Smoke Grey for all of my Star Trek Starfleet props, it is by far the closest silver I could find in the UK.
Good luck with your builds.

If you send me your address, I can send you a color sample of the original paint. I just happen to have an old can. For the record its a General motors color (which I think you know) It's sort of a warm gray metallic.. I don't know the US General Motors code but with a paint sample you might be able to match it. The only other clue I can give you is that it was a color used from the mid 90s
. IMG_1191.JPG

If that's the colour used for the later tricorders a sample would be great. I've sent you my address by email. If I have any success in matching it to a UK paint I'll post my findings here. Will be interesting to see whether either of the colours mentioned so far are a match.

On another note I've cut out some clear plastic to replace the solid inserts at the bottom of the flop out section so the light can be seen.

I don't suppose anyone has come across hinges that match the size and shape as the brass ones supplied but in zinc or other conductive silver material?

The hinge arrived but it's a bit too small on the hinge itself. So I'm going to go with the one that Stapleton sent with the kit. Right now I can't do much more until I get the electronics from Gerry (he's been a bit busy which has meant it's taken a bit longer for him to get electronics sorted) and I've tried to match the paint colour (hopefully propninja will be able to send this to me).

I think the Mark IX has always been badged as the the science version of the TR-590. The Mark X was supposedly the version with detachable scanner (so normally a medical version).

Thanks for the link - although those hinges look to match the ones that came with the kit. I was looking for one in zinc or other silver metal so not as to have the problem of having to paint them. I'll keep searching, and hoping now I have a more accurate name for them I can find a zinc variant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Mark IX has always been badged as the the science version of the TR-590. The Mark X was supposedly the version with detachable scanner (so normally a medical version).

Thanks for the link - although those hinges look to match the ones that came with the kit. I was looking for one in zinc or other silver metal so not as to have the problem of having to paint them. I'll keep searching, and hoping now I have a more accurate name for them I can find a zinc variant.

What about taking them somewhere to get them plated? A chrome plating over brass knocked back with ScotchBrite is a pretty close match to the 7173 color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following - I have the exact same kit - and am just waiting on the electronics from Gerry - so I'll be interested to compare our progress along the way!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back