ANH Hero DL-44, Scratch Built (mostly)

JohnG

So, I had some time and I dusted off an old project. A few years back I made a cheap airsoft DL-44. When I wanted to make a Denix version, I started with the scope (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=261848). I was happy with the scope. Then, it went on the shelf.

With Solo coming soon, I got it back out.

I prefer to scratch build rather than buy a kit. It's not accurate, but it's more my bag. To each, their own.

I did buy a Todd's flash hider back in 2016, so I'm using that. Can't figure a way to make a reasonable metal flash hider with my tools and parts I can find. I have the Reade cylinders and sight greeblies (came with the FH) that I will likely eventually use, but for the current mockup, the grill is my old irrigation nipple scratch design I used on the airsoft.

Bull barrel is cut from an old aluminum bike handlebar. Flattened the bottom and filed three angles on top to fit the Denix. Then temporarily blackened with a sharpie.

I made the scope mount from some 1/4inch aluminum sheet.

The cradle is Weaver rings and a stripped PVC coupling.

Knobs are 1inch thumb nuts from Amazon ($5 for 4). Can't find reasonable 3/4 inch ones. Open to suggestions. Center bolt is actually the stem that came with the thumb screws. the horizontal bar is threaded, so it screws right in. Some tini set screws go through the 3 pieces to secure them and prevent rotation.

Outstanding items:
1. Secure the cradle to the scope mount
2. Find a scope mount center bolt solution
3. Cut down the scope mount bolts a bit (the denix is tapped for them)
4. Fill the area under the barrel where the screw is so there isn't that gap.
5. Shape the hammer a bit so it comes forward more now that I've shaved down the firing pin.
6. Various sandings and shapings, including mystery circle
7. Cut and install the real heat sink cylinders
8. Color (paint, chemical, stain) all the pieces
9. Glass for the scope
10. sight Greeblies

Now that I list it, it's still a lot.

DSC09792.JPGDSC09794.JPGDSC09796.JPGDSC09797.JPGDSC09799.JPG

Last edited:
Completed 1-7. Stained the handles and painted the handle screw brass. Ready to paint the whole thing, though I kind of like it raw.

IMG_0544(Edited).jpg

Paint suggestions are welcomed.

Awesome job! I still think your scope turned out really nicely, that was a fun project to follow.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back