How do you hold your lightsaber? Luke Hero specifically, but even Luke V2/3 &GRAFLEX

Ridire Firean

Sr Member
Have you ever thought about where the different parts of your hand land on a lightsaber when you hold it?

I've been thinking a lot about it lately as I'm getting ready to cut Hero style arrows into my control box for my custom lightsaber. Trick is, I've got the control box mounted, well, postioned more like an ANH GRAFLEX than anything else. It basically comes off of the hilt to the left at the 10:00 position (when looking at it from the pommel end and the bunny ears pointing up). So, to me it looks goofy having the arrows on the right side of the box for two reasons: 1, they'd mostly get covered by my hand where the fat of my thumb/palm sits up against the upper right side of the control box, 2, it looks awkward having them point up into the air when the lightsaber is resting on a flat surface.

I also think that it will photograph better if they're on the left side of the control box because the arrows will be visible when taking photos of the emitter (the blade holder is a TCSS Graflex style with Bunny Ears by the way). The difficult part I'm struggling with is simply overcoming the mental image of the HERO ARROWS being on the right side of Luke's lightsaber.

Remember, Luke's a Lefty, so his thumb/palm wouldn't cover the arrows! Though I think in the film he holds the V2 with his fingers going over the control box, and the emitter is round so it doesn't really have an "UP" side. Which when at rest, means the HERO is almost always photographed with the control box pointing upwards putting the arrows on the righthand side of the lightsaber. But then none of that makes sense if the wielder is right-handed and their thumb/palm is covering the arrows.

So, how do you guys hold your lightsaber?

Last edited:
Re: How do you hold your lightsaber? Luke Hero specifically, but even Luke V2/3 &GRAF

Despite seeing it in the movies, my brain HATES the ESB and TFA Graflex box arrangement. My brain wants the bunny ears up and out. As a righty that would mean I want my thumb on the box, so the ANH arrangement is preferred.

For Vader, the box and shroud are aligned not he same axis so it's easy. Obi-Wan is symmetrical if you don't care where the lever falls.

For my creepy uncle I just hold it with the box at an angle that my thumb can rest on the buttons.

This is just a right-hand production designers hating left-hand actors conspiracy.

Re: How do you hold your lightsaber? Luke Hero specifically, but even Luke V2/3 &GRAF

I've always hated holding a Graflex "properly".

With right arm extended out, the bunny ears stick out to the left. I would rather them up, or to the right.

Just looks goofy.

This is why I prefer the activation button to be the red button.

Edit: actually, when got my real Graflex, I thought the clamp was on wrong or something, and it was a fake. Lol

I’ve been studying sword fighting the past 2 years. Preferably German long sword

If I were to duel with a graflex, it would be much harder for me

Since I would keep my hand choked up on the pommel of the V2/v3 style

The boxes on any lightsaber really make it cumbersome. I don’t think I’d ever fuel with a graflex clamp on the hilt

Heck with this let’s go take some pictures!!

In universe wise, if the control box turned the lightsaber on and off, and you would have to keep your thumb/finger on it to keep it activated I would spare like this

080d3775ec56de9f1555e8ebdc0772a9.jpg

But that really doesn’t feel good in the wrists, holding it like below feels much better

08b33c4ce4001c14cf970f78a9ffc27f.jpg

But even still the box in the middle really hinders movements, and I respect all these lightsaber duelist who duel with a graflex

The hero/V2/v3 is a much easy and much more comfortable hilt
e50e276141af7c6e1b410b7f5e3b5bf1.jpg

Hand on pommel end, thumb on the box for leverage, other thumb tucked under the emitter for safety, nothing like getting a blunt hit on the end of your thumb lol

Most importantly it’s a little longer then the graflex, with that you get more leverage, and more control with a great pommel grip

That Graflex grip makes me think of a Particle Thrower ;)

For me, I like to have the control over my left hand. So on an ANH Graflex, bunny ears towards me. all the others glass eye toward me. By the way, I'm right handed so I like my right hand on the top, left hand on the lower half.

For a lefty with bubble strip activation, box to the right on a Graflex like Danny's above. Choke up with the right hand above the box when double handing. Bob's your uncle...

For me, I like to have the control over my left hand. So on an ANH Graflex, bunny ears towards me. all the others glass eye toward me. By the way, I'm right handed so I like my right hand on the top, left hand on the lower half.

Seeing the opposite, I’m right handed, I prefer my right hand on the pommel. I’m just faster with reflexes that way

Even with sparing with the long sword, I can make it move faster this way

I always liked Luke vs Vader in the cave, where the bunny ears are facing down towards the ground

My arms are also so screwed up in this picture because I’m trying to get into frame lol

One thing I loved about TLJ, and I don’t say this sentence often lol

Was kylo Rena stare down with the guards, how he holds the cross guard out straight, with his left arm pinched up, and right arm extended, pointing at all the guards awhile he circled the room and plans his next attack

I kinda think he does this same move at Luke at the end... but the camera is zoomed in so close to him you can’t see where is other arm is

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back