Interactive Motorola MT500 Ghostbusters radio (and antenna)

Mercifull

I recently came into possesion of a vintage Motorola MT500 walkie-talkie. It's not the exact model which was used in the Ghostbusters (1984) movie but it was close enough for me to work from. When I got it the device was non-functional and had an inacurate antenna.

In these two videos I take the original radio apart, gut the innards and replace with a audio FX circuit board from Adafruit. My second (much shorter) video shows me making a replica "stubby" antenna in real-time to show how quick and easy it is. I thought some people here might like to see the videos. Remember to watch 'til the end of the first one... you wont be disappointed!*

Items used:

• Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp - WAV/OGG Trigger -16MB -
  • Adafruit LiIon/LiPoly Backpack Add-On for Pro Trinket/ItsyBitsy
  • M8 (8mmØ) Stainless Steel Socket Head Allen Bolt
  • 8mm I.D. Clear Plastic Hose PVC Tube
  • M12 Vinyl rubber bolt end cap
  • 14mm shiny shrink wrap tubing

*you may be disappointed haha

- - - Updated - - -

Afterthoughts:

The speaker that came with the radio demands a little too much power than can be driven by the board and it's a little quiet. It sounds ok when in a room and on camera but at a noisy con its quite hard to hear. I'm going to replace it with a couple of smaller 2watt speakers which should be a lot louder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still not happy with the volume output. It's not too bad at home in a quiet room but its barely audable at a con. Does anyone have any suggestions on small but loud 2 watt speakers?

I'm still not happy with the volume output. It's not too bad at home in a quiet room but its barely audable at a con. Does anyone have any suggestions on small but loud 2 watt speakers?
You can also make the volume of your mp3 or wav file alot louder. There are mp3 volume converters online everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back