Dark Apparatus project: Real Parts Sleuths, please take a look

egosheep

Sr Member
Hi guys, although I'm sure it will take a while, I am attempting to make a replica of the Apparatus from the show Dark, as seen here:

DARK.S01E03.Past.And.Present.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_42.16_[2018.02.16_22.0.jpg

This will consist of a wooden box, and probably 3D printed interior structure with a laser cut top, painted. I would love to do real brass but I think it would be too expensive. I'm currently commissioning a 3D model to use for creating the intricate top parts, but in the meantime I have been trying to hunt down any potential real parts used on the hero. I have found a few so far.

The Samsonite that the box travels in:
DARK.S01E02.Lies.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_16.53_[2018.02.16_21.30.58].jpgs-l1600 (2).jpg

The ammeters on the left are from an East German screw-in testing kit. There are 3 different variations depicted on the new hero, broken/old hero and CGI model.
Dark.S01E10.Alpha.and.Omega.DUAL-AUDIO.GER-ENG.1080p.10bit.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv_snapshot.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgammeter comparison.jpg

The power switch appears to be a 1950's ball end switch:
DARK.S01E03.Past.And.Present.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_42.10_[2018.02.16_22.0.jpgil_570xN.719517537_k9wn.jpg

There's a few things that I think are real but haven't found yet. Could really use some help from more experience parts hunters here.

The fuel canister, seen below. Could be some kind of camping or military gear, like a map or toothbrush holder or something?
DARK.S01E10.Alpha.And.Omega.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_19.25_[2018.02.17_22.14.jpgDARK.S01E09.Everything.Is.Now.2160p.NF.WEBRip.DDP5.1.x264-NTb.mkv_snapshot_50.46_[2018.02.16_23..jpg

A few different things are stumping me in this next image. Those brass rollers. Seems to be some kind of thumb wheel or clock face screw but I haven't been able to find a match in hardware catalogs. The round brass objects below the rollers, with mini brass counterweights is another mystery. To the right we have another set of meters, which I have not been able to find in countless ebay searches. And finally, there is the brass hinge with six hinge sections. I have only been able to find 5 or 7 sections, not 6. Maddening.
mysteries.jpg

The box handles appear to be vintage brass drawer pulls, but I haven't found a close match yet:
drawer pull.jpg

This large black object with 4 screws. It looks like it could be a bakelite transformer or something industrial?
black thing 2.jpgblack thing 1.jpg

If anyone sees anything here that they can identify, please let me know.

If you do the top structure printed or laser cut, you could experiment with covering it with brass foil (not too expensive). That would give you the proper brassy feeling, while using the precision cut of the printing/cutting by pressing the foil into the recesses.

If you do the top structure printed or laser cut, you could experiment with covering it with brass foil (not too expensive). That would give you the proper brassy feeling, while using the precision cut of the printing/cutting by pressing the foil into the recesses.
That's a good idea, I will definitely try that.

Depending on the price, maybe solid aluminum would work, anodized gold wouldn't be a shiny finish but it would be real metal at least.

Any clue about these parts? The valve could be some kind of gas cut off from a stove, perhaps. And the black thing below seems to be a wire holder, something electrical but I don't know the name.

mysteries 2.jpg

Hey, thank you so much for the help! I just need to find one with the handle instead of the wheel. The supplier may know if I contact them.

No problem! Keep them coming, I love the hunt! There’s a possibility the handle could just be fabricated but definitely contact the manufacturer first before heading down that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: fuel canister, I think you're barking up the right tree thinking about camping stuff. "Everyday carry" or "EDC" might also be a good search term. Maybe a waterproof match container or pill stash? This match case is obviously brass, but it seems to have a similar kind of size and construction...
edc-brass-aterproof-survival-waterproof-tank-waterproof-warehouse-box-enclose-matchbox-and-other.jpg

Re: fuel canister, I think you're barking up the right tree thinking about camping stuff. "Everyday carry" or "EDC" might also be a good search term. Maybe a waterproof match container or pill stash? This match case is obviously brass, but it seems to have a similar kind of size and construction...
View attachment 806001
That's very cool, I will start looking into these.

Not sure if it's helpful but I posted another picture in the other Dark thread, I'll put it here too. Just has some more details of the inner part. Open it in a new tab to get the full size.

cesium details.jpg

A few different things are stumping me in this next image. Those brass rollers. Seems to be some kind of thumb wheel or clock face screw but I haven't been able to find a match in hardware catalogs. The round brass objects below the rollers, with mini brass counterweights is another mystery. To the right we have another set of meters, which I have not been able to find in countless ebay searches. And finally, there is the brass hinge with six hinge sections. I have only been able to find 5 or 7 sections, not 6. Maddening.
View attachment 804340

The brass rollers are vintage potentiometers something like these:
Vintage-Leeds-and-Northrup-Co-Type-G-1-8067.jpg
The difference in the Dark apparatus is that the continuous contact ring is on the outside and the rotating wiper that contacts the little cylinders is inside that ring. Those discrete contacts are normally connected to one end of a resistor contained inside the box. In this image the knobs are decade resistors so the discrete contacts would be 1, 2, 3,... times a power of 10 in ohms.
Try searches for vintage or antique potentiometers or decade resistors or just vintage electrical equipment.

Another rabbit hole. Thanks for your help, LabMan!! I wonder if they used a found decade resistor or just created something in that spirit?

I've seen that particular configuration in a decade resistance box before but I can't remember where. I tried to find a closer match before I posted. When I get a chance I'll keep looking.
Here' s another that looks closer:

DSCF8129-350x234.jpg

Description: Circular Resistance Boxes
By British Telegraph Manufactory Ltd. London. 1900
These resistance boxes, known as decade boxes, were used to test early telegraph lines. One is labelled ‘G. P. O. 543’.

Last edited:
I've seen that particular configuration in a decade resistance box before but I can't remember where. I tried to find a closer match before I posted. When I get a chance I'll keep looking.
Here' s another that looks closer:

View attachment 808221

Description: Circular Resistance Boxes
By British Telegraph Manufactory Ltd. London. 1900
These resistance boxes, known as decade boxes, were used to test early telegraph lines. One is labelled ‘G. P. O. 543’.

That's going to be a fun one... I'm thinking the hard part will be matching the components from pics online if the majority of them are coming from the INSIDES of a decade resistance box or something similar. We'll keep looking :thumbsup

This one has the brass knob and one of the fingers:
img_0389.jpeg

It seems like if we can find this, it may be too rare to actually use a real one. I wonder if it's a German one, since the ammeters were German and that's where the prop was put together.

This one has the brass knob and one of the fingers:
View attachment 808256

It seems like if we can find this, it may be too rare to actually use a real one. I wonder if it's a German one, since the ammeters were German and that's where the prop was put together.

It's also entirely possible that those square ammeter gauges were a part of the same piece of equipment that the other components came out of. Even if they're not easily sourceable, the visible parts are not too challenging to get produced :thumbsup

It's also entirely possible that those square ammeter gauges were a part of the same piece of equipment that the other components came out of. Even if they're not easily sourceable, the visible parts are not too challenging to get produced :thumbsup

True, I have been thinking for a while that the square ammeters can be done with a generic ammeter and a custom black cover.

Would love to see the prop master come forward and do an interview!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back