Creating "oilcloth oilskin" look from cotton.

joeranger

Sr Member
I have 100% cotton overalls that I died sand stone and used spray rubber on the knees and elbows.

I am trying to use this for an underwater diver suit costume. (Scoobydoo thread) It can look oily and discolored since it is supposed to look old.

Should I just spray or brush boiled lindseed oil on it? I don't want it to be greasy, just look greasy.

suit.jpg

Both are great links. I could not believe the guy who dissolved tubes of silicon caulk in mineral spirits.

It's funny. There are so many options to make it look wet/oily. I could use bacon grease and walk around conventions smelling like breakfast:)

I would not use linseed oil. I have used linseed oil in the past in antique refinishing. First, it stinks and will remain stinky for some time.

Another issue is that it is highly flammable. There have been cases of people who have linseed oil soaked cotton rags that self-combusted. To be safe, cloth with linseed oil on it should be laid flat until it is completely cured away from other flammable items or placed in a metal container with water.

Fully cured linseed oil will also make fabric quite stiff. I can't imagine wearing it.

I went with melted candle wax and a heat gun. It does make it less comfortable:)
Funny the candle was scented so the whole house still smells like clove cigarettes.

cc 4.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back