Mara Jade - Mini Blaster

BigT

I have to equip a nice young lady with stuff for a Mara Jade costume.
While I found a very nice vendor for the belts and holsters http://deltaleatherworks.com who provides really 1st class leather works I couldn't find an appropriate blaster.
There are nice molded versions, but I wanted something special and unique, that is also a bit closer to the reference.

Since I'm working for decades with 3D-CAD and also CGI applications, I made an attempt to create my own version.
So that's what I've send (in subparts) to my printer guy this week. It's not really a cheap thing, since I selected the SLA method.

imp_jad_blaster_f_all.jpg

The picture in the middle is out of the fabulous research website of the renown prop builder Pam.
It shows the variants of appearances of the blaster in the comics. I have the comics but was thankful for this compilation during design.

So let's see how it comes out...

So finally here is the printed blaster.
The printer guy had a lot of problems to make it and the result is so la la. Some areas are wonky or have slightly broken edges and all that need manual correction.
Next time I would split upper and lower part, which I really should have done to avoid the supports. Though I'm a 3D modeling expert for visual purposes I have still less experience in printing.

The pictures are made right after support removal (handgrip and cylindrical objects are separate and not on the pics).

mara_jade_blaster_raw-4.jpg

mara_jade_blaster_raw-3.jpg

mara_jade_blaster_raw-2.jpg

mara_jade_blaster_raw-1.jpg

Attachments

• mara_jade_blaster_raw-4.jpg
    mara_jade_blaster_raw-4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
After that wonderful "blood moon" last night, heavy weather came in this morning and that was very welcome.
Not only for my garden and the animals but it's easier to hang in the workshop when it's rainy outside.

So I ended up in a six hour filing and sanding session and the first provisional primer coat shows it was worth the effort.
Now it's clear where to clear further or add some fill.

mara_jade_blaster_1st_refinement-2.jpg

mara_jade_blaster_1st_refinement-3.jpg

mara_jade_blaster_1st_refinement-1.jpg

I guess it will come out better as I thought after I got the print.
Damn, it has to look like a real Swiss precision work, as the Emperor would have expected :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back