Tamiya dpray paint over Mr Hobby spray paint ?

Keith

Sr Member
I need some Tamiya metal primer, but with the high shipping cost, i'm not willing to spend around £24 on one 100ml spray can.
I already have the Tamiya TS spray cans for the top coat.

I can get Mr Hobby B504 metal primer quite cheap, so my question is, can Tamiya TS spray cans be spray painted over Mr Hobby spray can metal primer?

Keith

Is Mr hobby metal primer a lacquer? Because the Tamiya TS spray cans are, and lacquers go on pretty "hot," meaning that sometimes it can eat through any undercoats if they're not cured properly. My suggestion would be to do some tests on something else before you go spraying it on anything important.

SB

I have used Tamiya spray over Krylon primer, with success. I think Krylon should be available in the UK.

I have the Mr Hobby primer now and there is no reaction with the Tamiya spray cans. I noticed that the Tamiya and Mr Hobby seem to smell and spray the same, so maybe they are the same paints and just different brands.

Keith

I would say yes, but like StevenBills said the spray cans solvent can be "hot". Use caution, test it first. Also you could apply a thin coat of paint, let it dry fully, apply another, let it dry, repeat etc. I personally don't use spray cans, but I do use Mr. Hobby primer mixed with Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, and have put Tamiya paints over the top with no issues. It was all done with an airbrush though.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back