Jedha City Diorama

I have the version of the city with the rock base. I was very happy to get it, but on reflection I'm going to have to do a fair bit of work to get the rocks matching the movie version, and as with you I'm going to have to build up the base. The work you've done here is really inspiring...I think you've got the best build on the internet so far.

I had the regular SD for this, and I wasn't going to light it, but your build changed my mind. After seeing the Model Graphix magazine, I decided to ditch the regular SD version, so I have a clear one on the way for this build.

This is a really inspirational thread!

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, that looks fantastic. I was going to use gold paint, but you've convinced me. Where did you purchase this from? I think this is going to be my next build after I've finished with my Falcon diorama...I have all the bits, but you've really inspired me to pull my finger out!

Thanks Britcinescribe, I really appreciate that!
For the rocks I just picked plaster from a building centre, the discriptions says for hobby and modelling. I ordered the leave gold at a german online seller, you don´t need that much maybe a tenth of one sheet. I saw sheets and flakes also on amazon, or you go to a jewelry store.

I´m looking forward to see your Jedha diorama, good choice to ditch the regular SD! I´d also do that, but for me its too late.

That’s cool.

I think your base may be too big in proportions to the Star Destroyer in an “Art” sort of way...but no doubt looks cool!

That’s cool.

I think your base may be too big in proportions to the Star Destroyer in an “Art” sort of way...but no doubt looks cool!

Jedha is the star! So my focus lies more on the hole scenery and less on the SD, anyway you may be right I´m not that experienced with dioramas.

1Imperial_forces_evacuate_Jedha_City.png1Rogue-One-A-Star-Wars-Story.jpg

As you can see above, on the first picture there are several layers of different rocks but the second does not show these, maybe as an effect of diffuse lighting.
What are your thoughts about my coloured rocks, does it fit or is there too much contrast or wrong colours?

Last edited:
I can only tell you that my plan is to do the striated rock colors on my Jedha. The plates were shot in Wadi Rum in Jordan, where both Lawrence Of Arabia, Prometheus, and the Martian were shot.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back