Faceplate tips? Rebuilding G1 cartoon Megatron

Marthony

Hello,

Question first, backstory to follow;

I'm building a faceplate for a costume, and am curious for tips for this. It will be close to my face so as to have better proportion & allow me to see out decently. Before this I modified a half-mask with red plastic for lenses, but had fogging issues. This time I plan on a full mask with a mouth vent. General thought at this time is to build onto safety glasses, and put on the faceplate before the helmet, without the faceplate & helmet touching each other much. My reasoning is that the nose padding & arms of the glasses will keep the lenses in proper position, and this should make life easier & reduce odds of fogging. Red plastic will be added to lenses of course, plus some trimming of shape, etc.

I'm in process of a complete rebuild of my '84 Transformers cartoon Megatron costume for next month's Calgary Comic Expo. Here is the appearance from 3 years ago: https://imgur.com/a/qjB3H.

This was my 2nd 'hard' costume, and made mostly with double-thickness cardboard. Being 3 years ago many lessons have been learned, and it will be rebuilt mostly with EVA foam. Main reasons for rebuild are:
- Head sits too high with high center of balance that makes it feel unsteady, is too tall & out of proportion, and prevents tilting up
- Right forearm & cannon is 10lbs, and thin 3.5 year-old elastics aren't transferring weight to torso harness (old backpack)
- Paint job on top of cardboard is too heavily damaged to fix and needs proper techniques
- (A later version has a metallic red & silver body suit, which now needs a gusset for bathroom visits without removing most of suit)

Please let me know if you've any faceplate tips/references/hyperlinks to reduce my fool's tax.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back