Rebel Pilot Helmet

wolfsbanestudio

Hey all, long time viewer first time posting here. I have been working on a rebel pilot helmet for over 9 years now. I am to much of a perfectionist for my own good. Anyways, I have finally got this version to where I am very happy with it but I would like the advice of this community. I bought an APH6 when I started this process and the other versions biggest problem was that I remolded the original helmet to sculpt on, this time I just worked on the original and it has gone much better. the biggest thing I am trying to get advice on is the Mohawk. Most of the kits I have seen seem to have the Mohawk "wrong" and by that I mean it just doesn't look right (to tall mostly). My plan is to produce these as a one piece helmet. First release is going to be a 'standard' version. I am then going to take my knowledge of actual military flight helmets (I was in the aviation world during my service in the army) and release a 'deluxe' version that will have functional headset, mic, padding, visor, etc. Anyways, please don't be afraid to post any critique, my goal is to release an extremely accurate helmet with the touch of what they would actually wear if the Star Wars universe was real.
https://imgur.com/Yh3C4d2
https://imgur.com/YaCoGlD
https://imgur.com/zl7tPhm

I can't express to you how amazing the work on this is... Just wow. If/when you start a run I'll probably be the first one knocking down your door to get in on the interest list;).

I am also not sure how to start like an official poll but I personally want to pull off the factory trim and just have the actual trim. I know the original ones in the movies had basically 2 "trims" the one that was in the vacuform mold and the balck one that was added after. In an attempt to go with the more "If these were real helmet feel" I want to just have the one layer. Would love to get feedback on this as well. Thanks

The black trim was a rubber trim glued on to the edges of the helmet to cover up the edges of the plastic. The black trim wasn't part of the helmet as far as I know.
.. couldn't you mold the helmet without the black trim and just include length of the black rubber trim in the kit? :$

The black trim was a rubber trim glued on to the edges of the helmet to cover up the edges of the plastic. The black trim wasn't part of the helmet as far as I know.
.. couldn't you mold the helmet without the black trim and just include length of the black rubber trim in the kit? :$

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to. You can see where they didn't remove the stock trim before making vacuform mold and the added rubber trim after.
xw01.jpg

Ahhh yes I see now. Must have misunderstood what you said. My apologies :$. I like the "one layer" idea you proposed previously in the statements above. This would add to the realistic-look of the helmet

That was my thoughts as well. I wanna do the realistic look but if the realistic look wont sell I would hate to make that choice without more opinions. :) Thanks for your input brother!

Are you going to make grooves in the mohawk to make it look as if the mohawk strip was a separate piece?

There was a moulded rivet in the original on the right side low below the ear, close to the trim. I'm not sure about exact location but it looks as if you removed a rivet close to that location (it may have been different from actual APH-6 to APH-6, what do I know) and filled the whole,

Are you going to make grooves in the mohawk to make it look as if the mohawk strip was a separate piece?

There was a moulded rivet in the original on the right side low below the ear, close to the trim. I'm not sure about exact location but it looks as if you removed a rivet close to that location (it may have been different from actual APH-6 to APH-6, what do I know) and filled the whole,

Once I get the base Mohawk done I'm going to add an actual strip of abs to top then do the tip piece. Also once I finish the helmet the rivet you speak of is actually going to be functional and be part of what holds internal helmet parts in, like a real helmet. If you look close you can see where I left the hole so as to get the positioning perfect. :)

Wow you are doing the exact same thing I am, but you are way ahead of me. I bought an APH-6 helmet shell, all the internals and attachments, and have been planning on adding the outer parts. I was looking at all of the available helmets out there to see if I could use the mohawk, etc. for this helmet I got.

Very cool to see you are doing a fantastic job. Did you drill out the holes for the O2 mask fittings? I looked all over for smaller sized rivets but in the end had to drill out both the outer and inner piece to use 1/8th sized rivets. The heads fit fine just the barrel of the body needed opening.

Are you also going to use the rear strap? The screen used has the molded bumps for the screw head locations...

I got a chin strap in black so as to match the screen used one, but the current crop of chin cups are all too small for the 1 inch webbing. Another headache to solve.

Last edited:
Wow you are doing the exact same thing I am, but you are way ahead of me. I bought an APH-6 helmet shell, all the internals and attachments, and have been planning on adding the outer parts. I was looking at all of the available helmets out there to see if I could use the mohawk, etc. for this helmet I got.

Very cool to see you are doing a fantastic job. Did you drill out the holes for the O2 mask fittings? I looked all over for smaller sized rivets but in the end had to drill out both the outer and inner piece to use 1/8th sized rivets. The heads fit fine just the barrel of the body needed opening.

Are you also going to use the rear strap? The screen used has the molded bumps for the screw head locations...

I got a chin strap in black so as to match the screen used one, but the current crop of chin cups are all too small for the 1 inch webbing. Another headache to solve.

Thanks for compliment. I left all the hardware holes where they were and left the hardware attached as they would have just slapped a few things on helmet and molded it for movie. As evident by the pre discussed double edge trim. I'm not sure what you mean by the "rear strap"? As for the chin cup, im not even thinking of that yet so I have no advice there lol

i meant the nape strap. The strap across the back of the neck. The molded helmet has the bumps where the screws go on either side of the helmet, but they didn't use them on screen.

i meant the nape strap. The strap across the back of the neck. The molded helmet has the bumps where the screws go on either side of the helmet, but they didn't use them on screen.

OH! Ok, yes, there will be a nape strap. I actually have an industrial sewing machine that I will be making reproductions in a black webbing and black leather for the "deluxe" helmet. Other plans for the inside are formed form padding giving it a more futuristic feel as appose to the Styrofoam inside that came stock, sliding visor that runs on a track like real helmets, reproduction earcups with black rubber cups (functional) and a reproduction mic (functional). Also all the internals will be able to be plugged into a headphone jack (cause who doesn't want to wear helmet while playing battlefront.

- - - Updated - - -

Man if this thing fits over a david clark and is strong enough to resist the Texas heat in a 172 I'mm game.

The materials I am planning on using are the same ones I use for my MFS masks and people are wearing those in afhanistan so pretty sure heat wont be a problem and I am using a size large helmet to make these as I have a HUGE dome piece so I think we good on all those fronts ;)

That's really looking awesome. I would totally dig one. :)

Speaking as a Rebel pilot costume judge in the Rebel Legion, I would leave the double trim edge. If a buyer doesn't like it they could always sand it off, anyway. It's always nice to have an option. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back