Atari VCS

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
http://collider.com/atari-vcs-console-images-prototype/#ataribox

atari-vcs-3.jpg

It looks flashy but I doubt that the geekier retro gaming enthusiasts are that thrilled.
Still no mention of what kind of games that would be played on it and it does not look like any compatibility with vintage peripherals.

If all it plays is Pac-Man and Galaga... meh.
If it will play modern games like the DOOM reboot, then I want one.

The original Atari system is one of those things where nostalgia WAY outweighs its merit. I thought it was pretty crappy even THEN. Colecovision was the only contemporary system that was any good. I didn't even bug my parents for a game system until the Atari 5200 came out. (Yeah, the controllers were over-engineered and fragile. But otherwise good.)

Sadly it's basicly yet another under-powered, over-priced "retro" mini-PC. It'll play indi games like Terraria, but not big AAA games like Doom. At a price point between $250 and $300, it a very overpriced Ouya for anyone that remembers that debacle. If you just want to play old Atari game there's a billion cheap and easy ways to do that. Pity, because it looks cool. But not $300 cool......

Joust on the 5200 was like 95% identical to the arcade...that was incredible for its time.

My friend had one and those controllers would have to be replaced about once every 2 years.
They wore down quick.

One of my neighbors had a Colecovision. Donkey Kong also was darn near the arcade version.
Unfortunately for me he and his wife would only let me come over and play it if his grand kids were over.

The original Atari system is one of those things where nostalgia WAY outweighs its merit. I thought it was pretty crappy even THEN. Colecovision was the only contemporary system that was any good. I didn't even bug my parents for a game system until the Atari 5200 came out. (Yeah, the controllers were over-engineered and fragile. But otherwise good.)

charlton_heston_moses.jpg
Blasphemer!!!!!

In all seriousness--you are correct. Misty-eyed nostalgia is really the only reason we are seeing these things again vs. playability.

I have bought 2 different versions of these retro-ATARI systems in the past. Sadly, both of them were only activated once, for about an hour. Really, that's about all the playtime I devoted to my old ATARI 2600, even back then (about an hour here or there, every once in a while). The video games just couldn't hold you captive for hours and hours the way that modern systems do--they were not the time bandits that modern gaming systems are. We spent most of our time playing outside. For a truly nostalgic trip back in time, I basically step outside :)

Last edited:
I still play my 2600. Never had an issue with the original joysticks.
My Tron joysticks... those things broke like crazy. Which sucks because they TOTALLY ROCKED.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I backed an Atari branded smartwatch on Kickstarter, called the GameBand. It's been just delay after delay, and supposedly the software interface for purchasing apps for it, called PixelFurnace, was going to be used as the app management system for the AtariBox, or I guess VCS.

A few months back, in December I think, they were supposed to launch this Atari console on IndieGogo for preorders. The day before it was supposed to launch it got "delayed."

At that same time, communication on the watch I had backed fell through the floor. What had been constant updates and developers interacting with the backers became delayed updates (by weeks) and no interaction in the comments section. A backer posted a link to a discussion on an Atari forum where it seemed that the team behind the GameBand had been effectively fired from the development of the software for the VCS console.

The communication for the watch has never gotten back to where it was, or even really close to where it was.

Now here we are a few months later and they're talking about preorder information being released in April. I guess it's possible that they found another developer to put together their app ecosystem, but like I said...I'll believe it when I see it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back