Fantastic Beasts - Newt Scamander's magical suitcase and contents (Muggleworthy)

RJN

I posted about this a while back. I made the suitcase from scratch (I didn't make the locks or metal parts of the handle). I have now completed the contents too (as far as I'm able at the moment). I'm pretty pleased with it. A few people thought it was a real suitcase which, for all intents and purposes, I guess it is.
Edit: I thought I should include some 'making of' images. I have also included a couple of images which show the ageing and colouring better than the last picture.
The body of the suitcase is made from faux leather and leather, which I cut and shaped. I coloured the faux leather and leather with a leather/faux leather dye. I introduced more depth of colour with washes of acrylic. I scratched and hammered the surface of the suitcase, then added more washes so that the paint would settle in certain areas. The stitching was done by hand using a leather stitch punch and two needles. I also re-covered the handle from an old suitcase. The riveting was done by hand. Many of the techniques used I learnt as I went along, having done some research beforehand.
I sewed the pyjamas by hand. The gloves were originally white. I changed their appearance with a very similar technique to the one used on the body of the suitcase. I couldn't find a handkerchief similar enough to the original, so had fabric printed and created the handkerchief from the fabric. The clock originally had a white face, so I dismantled the clock and replaced it. I painted over the numbers, by hand, with glow-in-the-dark paint. The scarf is a replica I bought. I bought the binoculars, cleaned them up and re-coloured them.
IMG_3304.jpgIMG_3311.jpgIMG_3426.jpgIMG_3435.jpgIMG_3461.jpgIMG_3482.jpgIMG_3468.jpgIMG_3537.jpgIMG_3545.jpg
IMG_4977.JPGIMG_4978.JPGIMG_4979.JPGIMG_4976.JPGIMG_4942.JPG

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back