Landspeeder full size, 3d printed!

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys...you wait ages for a Landspeeder build and then 2 come along at once! I've checked with DonC and he's cool for me to post my thread and for us to have a build duel and maybe it'll even turn into a kind of Landspeeder race.

So yeah...3D printing a Landspeeder full size...I know, freakin' crazy right. But actually why not. Well we'll see

I modelled the whole thing as accurately as possible from all available source material but there seems to be no definitive measurements for most of the car dimensions. So no 2 cars are gonna be the same. Here's mine

The basic shell
screen2.png

The grille

screen1.png

the cockpit

screen.png

and the engines

screen3.png screen4.png

Obviously there a few other bits to model and print but this should keep me busy for a wee while

Here's where I'm at

0zNQzxMm.jpg
AFey1Pzm.jpg

Derwent flame tube for the 'open' engine

MEp9j9lm.jpg

Although the builds I have seen of the various Landspeeders are mostly awesome and can be driven, I really don't like seeing the wheels, which spoil the illusion of a hover car. So this is going to be a static 'floating' replica

Attachments

• screen2.png
    screen2.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 671
  • screen1.png
    screen1.png
    288.8 KB · Views: 605
  • screen.png
    screen.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 561
  • screen3.png
    screen3.png
    158.9 KB · Views: 585
  • screen4.png
    screen4.png
    132 KB · Views: 559
What printer you using?

Always good to see another Blender user :)

This is a crazy project really. Best of luck! :D I don't envy the amount of sanding that's gonna be required!

What the heck kind of machine is printing these pieces?!?!?

Holy hell!! I’ve never seen anything like this

I'm using my own Geekbot printer and a couple of CR-10 S5's. No doubt, it's a shed load of printing but once I have the basic form then everything else is fibreglass and bondo. The method is to print the pieces with a 10% infill and then fill the cavity with expanding foam, then Gelcoat/resin/chop strand/resin/topcoat bondo the whole lot once assembled. Marine ply top and bottom with wooden struts and joists for the wings/engines/seat. It'll be heavy, but it is a car.

mmoo2TBm.jpg
22SQ1vsm.jpg
0duyx19m.jpg

mnERAcDm.jpg

Trouble is, it's so big, there's no room in my shop to take decent pix

What size printer are you using??? And OH MY GOD THIS IS INSANELY EFFIN AWESOME!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GEEK1138: absolutely incredible! All the projects you've done over the past 6 months or so have been the best I've seen. Keep it up.

Quick question: which PLA brand do you normally use? With all the amazing work you've done, I'd love to know which brand is worth considering.

GEEK1138: absolutely incredible! All the projects you've done over the past 6 months or so have been the best I've seen. Keep it up.

Quick question: which PLA brand do you normally use? With all the amazing work you've done, I'd love to know which brand is worth considering.

Cheers dude...there seems to be no end to the cool projects to build from Star Wars :)

I use cheapo PLA - PrimaValue I think it is on a 1kg roll and Digital Rise 3kg rolls

Now that the shell is complete it's time for phase 2...adding the secondary components/details etc

fuF33ITm.jpg
cutting out the wing nacelles ( it's not the right word but I like it)

tZadUfAm.jpg
inserting the insteps

3PT2agOm.jpg
wooden bracing for seat/wings

SWsQuqXm.jpg
fitting 'open' engine

pHr9TM9m.jpg
fitting tail engine and fin

Mm7aciMm.jpg
E3UVfHmm.jpg

It's a bit early to be thinking about, but does anyone know the correct colours for painting the Landspeeder?

Little break for Easter so need to catch up on progress...

Got the right hand engine fitted

FgZhMjbm.jpg

The tail fin fixed and finished

3XcSB8Sm.jpg

Made the former for vacuum forming the windshield...still more to do

z9KdEdam.jpg

Installed the flame tube turbine in the open engine bay...will probably give it some sand weathering as well when the whole car is done

Dze8cpwm.jpg
7SgdFDum.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back