Rey's new lightsaber hilt build (Contest entry "Q")

fiveliter8

Thank you to those of you who voted on and commented on my hilt build. It didn't really come out looking like something Rey would build, but I didn't have time to re-design. Regardless, I wanted to stick with as many found parts as possible, using parts not readily recognizable by the average joe.

The first piece I started working on is a pressure transducer that is used for high pressure/temperature applications. I've been saving all of the bad ones bacause they just look like they should be on a lightsaber hilt! I originally envisioned a twisted spiral type of grip and tried cutting them from PVC pipe. I didn't really like the look, so I used plastic pipe and cut slots in it trying to come up with a design that I would eventually cut from stainless steel. Due to time constraints, I decided the PVC practice piece would be used for this saber.
IMG_4558.JPGIMG_4559.JPGIMG_4578.JPGIMG_4581.JPG

For the emitter, I had an old detector from a radiation counts meter and attached it to the pressure transducer. I then slipped a motor-to-gearbox coupler over that to form the "hood".
IMG_4608.JPGIMG_4615.JPGIMG_4616.JPGIMG_4618.JPG

For the button, I used a camera shutter/zoom control combo. Had to machine the PVC to make the button fit nicely.
IMG_4595.JPGIMG_4600.JPG

For the control box detail, I had to build the compressor board that was installed in the ignition line on the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive. I figured Rey would have had it around still to use and incorporate into a new saber.
IMG_4790.JPGIMG_4640.JPG

The hardest part to design was the lower part of the hilt and pommel. I had to machine a piece of aluminum stock and attached the threaded end of the pressure transducer to it, then in turn screwed the entire thing into the upper part of the hilt. I spent hours staring at that bare lower section when my fellow saber builder and beautiful wife came up from the basement with a collar for a dumbbell set we have (unused!). Eureka! I had to do a little machining to get it to fit over the end as well as trim some of the outer edge off to get it to look right.
IMG_4662.JPGIMG_4663.JPGIMG_4797.JPG

I finished the lower part off with a wrap of black leather that was leftover from covering a dashboard for a 427 Cobra replica I built years ago. I'm happy with the way it came out and it does have quite a bit of heft to it. Still needs some minor touch-ups and a d-ring, though.
IMG_4793.JPGIMG_4796.JPG

It was a blast to build and it was great to see all of the other saber hilts that were entered!

Re: Rey's new lightsaber hilt build (Contest entry "Q")

Nice build, love how it all came together, nice bonus having your good lady join in and become a saber builder

- - - Updated - - -

For the control box detail, I had to build the compressor board that was installed in the ignition line on the Millennium Falcon's hyperdrive. I figured Rey would have had it around still to use and incorporate into a new saber.
View attachment 803629View attachment 803623

The hardest part to design was the lower part of the hilt and pommel. I had to machine a piece of aluminum stock and attached the threaded end of the pressure transducer to it, then in turn screwed the entire thing into the upper part of the hilt. I spent hours staring at that bare lower section when my fellow saber builder and beautiful wife came up from the basement with a collar for a dumbbell set we have (unused!). Eureka! I had to do a little machining to get it to fit over the end as well as trim some of the outer edge off to get it to look right.
View attachment 803624View attachment 803625View attachment 803628

I finished the lower part off with a wrap of black leather that was leftover from covering a dashboard for a 427 Cobra replica I built years ago. I'm happy with the way it came out and it does have quite a bit of heft to it. Still needs some minor touch-ups and a d-ring, though.
View attachment 803626View attachment 803627

It was a blast to build and it was great to see all of the other saber hilts that were entered!
it would also be nice to see your wife’s build

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back