Moebius Models 1:350 U.S.S. Franklin WIP Thread

DanielB

Sr Member
Got a question you guys maybe could help me figure out. The torpedo launcher area on Moebius' Franklin is not at all accurate. So I have modeled a 3d model replacement I intend to 3d print through shapeways.

However, for it to fit, I need to know the incline on the bulkhead the back attaches too. If we consider the saucer surface 0 degrees, How can I figure out the incline as shown blow? Anyone have any ideas on how to find the exact incline off 90 degrees that it is on the kit? I will then model the back of my 3d launcher to match.

SdlVYa1.jpg

zT2mkJC.jpg

eFOL0Wy.jpg

1QWKsFy.jpg

What program are you using to create the 3d model? I use SolidWorks, I took your jpg and imported it on to a plane, I then drew the lines and took a measurement of the arc.
Part Arc.JPG
If you can't read it it's 127.51 Degrees.

Attachments

• Part Arc.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 137
Sorry, the image I drew, I should have drawn another way, I wasn't thinking. I actually just needed the incline off of the saucer bottom. I used an incline meter on my phone and came up with 50°. I have modified the 3d model to reflect that.

Vj9tuay.png

Vj9tuay.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How does something like this happen? I know that the model kit company needs to get the model reference early in order to design the kit, but this kit began after the film was released, it does make any sense that a mistake like this would happen.The difference between the model kit and the film CGI model is major. The CGI is simpler than the kit which is opposite of what usually happens. The part looks good.

All of the licensed products and the production artwork for the film show it as it is on the model kit. More reference is needed.

What's on screen is canon, so someone in their promotions department screwed up, all of the licensed products are wrong. Clearly one set of approved plans were sent out but no one checked it to make sure that the plans were final.

My bottom hull torpedo launcher 3d print arrived. Neat! It's a small thing, but it's cool since I've never made my own 3d printed part before. I don't have the hull connecting angle right, so I'll have to adjust, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. The detail is crisp, the size is correct, there are no print lines, and it looks much closer to the movie. I wish I had gotten the hull connecting angle right on the first go, but ya know, almost nothing is ever right he first time.

I'll have to do some cutting away of material on the actual kit to fit it, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Dvu7v6N.jpg

vVQH2qW.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back