Ridley Scott's The Terror on AMC

They did a marathon of the first six on Sundance last Sunday. I recorded them. I think I will continue to record the new episodes on AMC and just binge it when the season is over.

Just finished the series, and loved it! The last episode had a lot to cover, and it seemed like they could have spread it out a bit more to make it more satisfying. As it was, I'm trying to piece together some of what happened. Still, it was a fantastic series, and the acting was top notch. A great, dark story of the human condition... both the best and worst of humanity on display.

Finished up the series this morning (I was avidly watching before work for the past few days), and overall really enjoyed it. I was familiar with the history of the Franklin expedition because I used to buy Arctic exploration books for my Dad at Christmas, so was pleasantly surprised at how they incorporated the supernatural element.

That said, I think that Tuunbaq needed a little more explanation as to what it really was and why it's been trying to kill them. I get that it being unknowable makes it more terrifying, but I think a little more about it's history and relationship with the Inuit in the final episodes would have been good. Afterwards I just read the book's Wikipedia which was sufficient.

Definitely the best show I've watched this year though.

Watched the first five episodes yesterday. Wasn't really thinking I would get into it, but I found I really enjoy it, except for the part where I'm five episodes in and still can't tell who the protagonist is. Which is fine, sometimes I like not knowing who to root for.

Finally finished this up this weekend. Very good show, but there was a lot I didn't understand. Can someone fill me in?

Spoilers ahead if you haven't watched.

Why did the Tuunbaq die? Was it just poisoned by the tainted meat of the men?
Why did Silna have to leave? I didn't get that whole bit with the shaman stuff.
Why did "Hickey" cut out his own tongue and offer it to the monster?
Why did that last crewman the captain found have all those chains pierced into his face?
What exactly was the ending with the captain sitting on the ice with a child?

Possibly? It was already emaciated and probably sick/dying. I was also thinking that perhaps when the captain was pulling on the chain, it was dragging up one of the (several) men that it had just swallowed and that may have caused it to choke to death. A friend said that he thought the chain had gotten wrapped around it's neck (on the outside) and the captain strangled it, but I didn't get that impression.

Why did that last crewman the captain found have all those chains pierced into his face?
I was also completely confused by that. Did he do that to himself, or did someone else do it to him? The only thing that crossed my mind (after Xerxes from 300) was maybe it was some sort of "pirate" thing? But then again, why?

Pretty sure he was hunting seal - I believe the practice is to sit by a hole in the ice, and when a seal pops up to breathe, they spear it. Could have been to suggest that he had integrated into that group of Eskimo, and perhaps that might have been his own child (after taking an Eskimo wife).

Finally finished this up this weekend. Very good show, but there was a lot I didn't understand. Can someone fill me in?

1. Its heavily implied that Tuunbaq was mentally and physically deteriorating by the end from eating all the sick men. Not to mention getting shot multiple times, being lit on fire, and eating the fork-covered Mr. Blanky. Which is probably why he's so aggressive yet malnourished looking in the last few episodes opposed to the more cunning polar bear-esque beast of the earlier episodes.
2. I assume Hickey cuts out his tongue because he thinks that's the way to control Tuunbaq after seeing that lady silence has removed hers.
3. No explainable reason for the last crewman to have all the piercings on his face other then there was actually a body found like that according to the Inuit's.

Why did Silna have to leave? I didn't get that whole bit with the shaman stuff.

Silna leaving to wander off on her own was a surprise to me as it was a departure from the book. In the book, Crozier and Silence ended up as lovers and had children, and like Silence, Crozier also became a spirit guardian/shaman.

She had no more purpose with Tuunbaq dead so she had to leave.

Last edited:
From what I understand this has nothing to do with "Season 1".

It is an anthology more like American Horror Story where each season is it's own thing with a different set of characters and setting but similar themes.

I enjoyed the first season's story and the production on it was quite good as well and very cinematic.

Looking forward to this one

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back