Metal Lathes-which one to get?

Get it NOW!.. LOL

And search and compare...

even from day to day... at the SAME places..

I can get a quote one day... and the next week it will be COMPLETELY different.

I would also check around locally first!

of metal stock?

what are you trying to build?

If lathe... I'm not sure of your question?

You also might want to look at your local makerspace(s).. they sometimes sell off their equipment when they get new stuff...

you might be able to buy a nice used lathe that is bigger, already dialed in and has tooling that comes with it.. (saving you some money)..

or check your local craigslist too!

I too (have) built lightsabers on my lathe.. one the main things I did when I started.

The longer the better is all I can say..

especially if you want to do hilt sections....etc..

Are you trying to just mod parts? (like TCSS parts?) or make your own from scratch?

Ya that’s why I want to know what the proper outer diameter is.I already know the inner diameter should be 1 inch.I’m also looking for good online metal suppliers because all the ones I’ve looked at are pretty costly.

Hey Alcadude ! These guys have just about everything... https://www.onlinemetals.com/

As far as pricing goes...YAY TARIFFS!

Sometimes you can find lower prices on eBay from sellers in China. I was able to locate some small metric tubing in stainless steel that NO ONE carried Stateside (or anywhere else) for the Crystal Chamber I'm working on. I would have preferred to buy it locally, but it just wasn't available.

Get what you can from where you can and do it as fast as you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are making your OWN hilts.. there is no 'rule' (per se`)..

outer diameter is 1.45 or less form all the stuff I have seen over the years..

MHS stuff is 1.45 OD

there V2 stuff is smaller OD than that.

same with ID.. they set standards for their stuff.. so they know it works with the other parts they sell..

as long as you can fit your sound board in there.. or use a chassis....the OD/ID is up to you.

I can tell you you wont be able to chuck up more than a few inches in your lathe if its solid tubing.

When a lathe says 7/8 in 'swing..etc..

most of that is eaten up by the chuck/jaws anyways..

Oh, one more thing.... your outer diameter for your stock will be determined by your project's drawings. Meaning that if you have a lightsaber hilt drawn up with an outer diameter of 1.5" , you wouldn't start with a 4" diameter piece of stock. You would start instead with a piece of 1.5" diameter stock or slightly bigger if you wanted to have all of the surface machine marks be the same. And by slightly bigger I mean 1.625", NOT 2". But, if you find a smoking deal on 2" stock, and you have all year to whittle it down, and don't mind the wear on your tooling, then it's your choice.

So I'm bumping up this thread to ask to for help with my benchtop lathe. The time has finally come and my timing belt snapped. Timing belts come in a variety of shapes and sizes, how hard could it be to find one to replace the one that snapped?

Apparently, very. It seems my lathe has a unicorn-leprechaun of a timing belt because it doesn't seem to exist in the wild: 90 teeth, 5 mm pitch, and approx. 425 mm in length. I've tried to use a rubber 85 tooth 425 timing belt as a replacement and it just sheared all the teeth immediately, and that was just testing it once I had it over the timing pulley and the headstock pulley; and I have a 450 90 teeth belt that just turned out too long.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get a replacement belt to fit this thing?! If I have to change the timing pulley, so be it, but what would it have to be?

What machine? Brand/model?

I wish I could tell you. It's one of them "all-rounders" sold through various sellers on eBay under different names and brands. I can tell you it's this hunk-a-junk. Like everyone else, I've been modding and retrofitting parts to this since Day 1.

I've just ordered some more hoping I'll land on something that will fit!

Last edited:
So......

5mm = 0.19685" in
50mm = 1.9685" in
200mm = 7.87402" in

7.87402"..... tall?
1.9685"...... depth?
0.19685" ...... thickness?

Might be better if you listed the OD, the ID.. and the OD of the 'rings/lips' on the ends..

Also what is the internal 'red portion' dimensions? (what is the ID of that section?).. how deep does that go?

HI I saw it..

I'm in the US.. so MM is somethign that needs ot be converted so I make any sense of it first.. but seeing that it is almost 8 in OD? (if thats correct) I dont think I can do that on my lathe anyways.

Also the color chart wasnt very helpful for me to determine anything.. (maybe for other more professional types?)

Giving CLEAR ID & OD specs helps

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back