Mould making help (After the fact...)

powder monkey

I've just made a full mould of an oil sculpture that may or may not have contained sulfur, that's not the FU. To err on the side of caution I gave it a clear acrylic coat, but the in a fit of genius I completely forgot to add mould release. The silicone used was tinsil.

Am I boned? I can leave it for as long as need be (if that'll help) but is everything ****ed? I'll find out in a day or so I was just wondering if anyone here could share some wisdom that might help me salvage my SNAFU.

Thanks in advance guys and gals

Should be fine. The silicone won't bond to the clay or the clear coat. In fact, it'll most likely demold easily, but you may have to scrub some bits of clear coat out with soapy water or alcohol. A release makes it much easier, and is kinder on the mold, but isn't strictly necessary pouring silicone on a non-porous surface like clay, unless you need to divide one section of silicone from another.

Sulfur is only an inhibitor of platinum silicone. It shouldn't affect tin cure.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back