Sankara Stones WIP

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For the past few months I've been aching to get a set of Sankara stones for my collection, and with some extra clay and a little (notice the word little) time on my hands I figured I could start work on a prop set I've always wanted.
I started off with a few stills from the film and a single image of the stunt/light up stones from the archives and the "From StarWars to Indiana Jones" book. The images were scanned into my printer and matched up with the other images. They were scaled to the proportions listed in the archives book and all matched up to make sure that each stone was proportionate and correct.
Then they were sculpted from Air dry clay using a sanded-down soda can filled with plaster for the base/skeleton of the sculpture, because the soda can is the perfect size for a base for 2/3 of the stones. For now I have only finished "Stone #3" and am going to begin "Stone #1" today. Why am I saving "Stone #2" for last you may ask? The answer is simple: I can't find a base small enough to sculpt on yet that I liked (considering a short and wide piece of PVC pipe).
The reason I am using air dry clay is because it provides a hard, sandable surface for me to add and remove surface area as I please without squishing and deforming the object at hand.
Eh0sQ9S.jpg

Any opinions are welcome:)

Thanks!

Last edited:
I applied the third layer of clay to "Stone #1" today.. sanding, filling, sanding, and filling... Will post more pics once I get off work tonight :$

And are these going to be static ? Or cast them and make them translucent glowing ?

Molding these (hopefully by the end of April). I've had countless months invested into the research on these stones and am finally taking the time to finish the sculpts. Once they are cleaned up enough, I will mold them, and cast some different versions of the stones: some glowing, and some the look like the rock-versions.

Hey guys sorry about the lack of updates been really busy lately.. working on these as I can (mostly when it's rainy or icing outside ;)

Last edited:
Very cool. I like seeing builds like this :thumbsup

I’ve always wanted to sculpt my own but I can never find the right clay. The last two types have cracked on me:/

Very cool. I like seeing builds like this :thumbsup

I’ve always wanted to sculpt my own but I can never find the right clay. The last two types have cracked on me:/

They aren't too hard to sculpt, but yes you do have to find the right clay.. I went through 3-4 types of clay before I found one I was happy with. It's a sulfer-free clay that they use to sell at Michaels and I cannot think of the name right now but I'll try to find it for sure :$

That’d be awesome. I’ll actually be in the area of a Micheal’s this weekend. I’ll keep and eye out for the type you’ve described. Thanks, man.

Couldn't find the sulfer-free clay on there website anymore. I do know of a clay that is absolutely amazing though! Acts the same as the sulfer-free stuff, the only difference is that you should spray it with clear coat if you are going to mold it with silicone (sulfer-products inhibit curing of the silicone mold).
Here's a link to that clay:
http://www.michaels.com/M10228275.h..._M10228275_size=2.2 lb#q=Air+dry+clay&start=5

I'm just giving you a fair warning though, this bar of clay goes for $12 at Michaels, and the exact same bar is $6 at Walmart. Same brand, size, weight, etc.
I leave it to dry overnight in layers 1/8" or thinner. This way it takes about 1 hour per layer to dry up enough to lay the next layer on. As you go with it, the clay will begin to form "dips" that look like cracks at first but they're not. You can fill this in with more of the clay. Just make sure to keep the package shut if your not using it! The edges of the block exposed to air dries fast!
One more thing is, since it is air-dry clay you don't want it to be exposed to water unless you have a few coats of clear coat or a resin coating or such on it or the clay will slowly "melt away".

Best of luck!

Couldn't find the sulfer-free clay on there website anymore. I do know of a clay that is absolutely amazing though! Acts the same as the sulfer-free stuff, the only difference is that you should spray it with clear coat if you are going to mold it with silicone (sulfer-products inhibit curing of the silicone mold).
Here's a link to that clay:
http://www.michaels.com/M10228275.h..._M10228275_size=2.2 lb#q=Air+dry+clay&start=5

I'm just giving you a fair warning though, this bar of clay goes for $12 at Michaels, and the exact same bar is $6 at Walmart. Same brand, size, weight, etc.
I leave it to dry overnight in layers 1/8" or thinner. This way it takes about 1 hour per layer to dry up enough to lay the next layer on. As you go with it, the clay will begin to form "dips" that look like cracks at first but they're not. You can fill this in with more of the clay. Just make sure to keep the package shut if your not using it! The edges of the block exposed to air dries fast!
One more thing is, since it is air-dry clay you don't want it to be exposed to water unless you have a few coats of clear coat or a resin coating or such on it or the clay will slowly "melt away".

Best of luck!

thanks, man. I really appreciate the advice.

Not alot of time to make much progress on these yet. Between work and study's things just get more fun ;)

Last edited:
No I pretty much abandoned it. Got hold of a mix of new and old graflex parts and built myself an ESB saber.

Darn, I really want to see how that build turned out. I really can't say anything though seeing as how I threw mine in a box after I couldn't find a good enough shoulder puller tool.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back