Batfleck cowl HELP

trammell

Hello!
I just received an Iconic FX DOJ cowl I found second hand on Etsy.
Its beautiful, but there seems to be an excess of urethane in the top of the head (about an inch thick). And since the top of my head isn't flat, it sits weird.

I'm thinking some kind of hook knife might be my best bet.

Does anyone have any ideas on carving some away safely?

IMG_20180316_135535.jpgIMG_20180316_135634.jpg

You could probably use a Burr with ball end on a dremel kind of like this. If that doesn't fit your fancy, you can always heat up the blade of a razor knife and when it gets red hot, bend it with a pair of needle nose pliers to get the gouging shape you want.

It looks like you got one of the ones I make that is more towards a display cowl than a cosplay cowl. Cosplay cowls tend to be thinner in the crown for more comfort and flexibility as opposed to the thicker top which allows it to hold its shape better. It is maybe 1/2 inch thick though. An inch thick would be practically inflexible and you wouldn't be able to see the outline of the ears.
I would first try a piece of thin craft foam and see if that helps before digging into it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back