Difference: Reade Models - TomTit Original Parts

Saifai

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
if anyone is interested:

the original parts are lighter and darker.

e.g. the weight of the reade model ribbed cylinder is over 9 gram while the original part is under 9 gram.

and on the pics you can see the color difference.

IMG_2044.JPG IMG_2046.JPG IMG_2047.JPG IMG_2056.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Difference: Reade Models - Original Parts

Just checking my understanding, you're saying the vintage Reade model parts are lighter in weight and darker in color than the modern Reade parts?

Just checking my understanding, you're saying the vintage Reade model parts are lighter in weight and darker in color than the modern Reade parts?

That’s right. The modern reade part is on the left side on each pic.

That’s right. The modern reade part is on the left side on each pic.
Thanks! Unless there's dimensional differences, it looks like the material used might be slightly different but the moulds are the same.

Just picked up some of Todd's radial engine cylinders so here's a quick comparison to the Reade Models originals...

Neither are perfect pieces - if you've seen modern runs of the Reade cylinders you know there's a spot at the seam on one side of the large end where about 4 fins are not fully formed. Todd's has a series of subtle notches/depressions in the edges of the smaller end fins - 3-4 in each, every 90 degrees - only obvious when looking from the end but strange nonetheless.

Todd's are very close to the originals dimensionally and have just a few differences in the details - they're slightly glossier in the large end, and the fins come to rounded rather than flat points. Push rods are likewise very close, though Todd's have a glossier finish and lack the mold seam that runs around the length of the thing. The bore of the large end is not concentric with the fins on the Reade cylinders, but this has been corrected/idealized on the Todd's.

44402353114_7831aac3c1_o.jpg

44402353224_36878227ba_o.jpg

44402352964_47f0a44c19_o.jpg

Blaster Factory (RPF member Field Marshall) has some of the new manufacture Reade cylinder sets in stock. He bought out their entire remaining stock when Reade Models closed their doors.

I’m sure even parts made in the 60s-70s are different colors and weights as batches of material varied. I wouldn’t think the differences are in any way worth the huge expense in finding a vintage kit to cannibalize.

The new ones, were made by the same family, same exact mold. How much cooler can you get in terms of lineage? That said, I‘m sure the older parts may be cleaner, as the molds would have worn over the decades.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back