Forming non-veg-tanned leather

Killpurakat

So, I'm planning a costume that will have a dragon-scale type pattern, and I'm going to try using leather/pleather/vinyl to do the scales. I have been looking at various leathers, and I don't believe I will be able to paint/dye the leather to be the shade I want (nor achieve the shiny effect I'm hoping for), so is it possible to mold leather that isn't veg-tanned? It won't be into any complicated shapes, just maybe a slight fold or very slightly raised bump in the middle (similar to metal scales that people use for chain-link mail).

I have a heat gun, and I was thinking I may be able to use that (I'd like to avoid water if possible). And if I was to try this with vinyl/pleather (without a cloth backing), would that work, or does synthetic material just not respond well to this sort of thing?

Just curious if anyone has tried this before. Thank you for any help you can give.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back